BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

41 - 60 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Is is possible to fit 255/35 ZR17 tyres on the front without a spacer and using a standard M5 rim ?

Looks like it would JUST fit with the front fender lip rolled in.

I can swap a wider 255 rear tyre and rim from one of the other M5s onto the front on the weekend to check myself but maybe someone already knows the answer
No, a 255 won't fit on the front without spacers or a different wheel offset.

When the wheel nuts are done up the tyre is hard against the strut tube (see the photo)

Attachments

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #42 (Edited)
Still collecting parts for the track car project and found some very nice oil coolers from a Boeing 737 tear down I'm doing, these are normally used for cooling hydraulic system fluid by being immersed in the wing fuel tanks. They never wear out so I'll never sell them so into the track car parts bin they go.

They'll be used as transmission and differential oil coolers.

There will be 2 of these coolers mounted in the boot lid with intake and exhaust vents to the air stream, I'm still considering the pick up and delivery points and the type of pump. I also need to make some hose fittings up.

Price new ? … $21,839 each …

The green frame won't be used in the M5

Attachments

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
is this worth the extra weight and potential point of failure?

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #44 (Edited)
In the event of the oil cooler circulation system failure the gearbox and diff will still have normal levels of oil, I just need to work out how to do it.

I think it's worth it, I've seized a transmission in competition off roading here in indo (stuck in 2nd) and since then I had a temp gauge on the gearbox , the oil gets real hot here.

Initially our main goal initially is reliability and low operating costs, then we'll see where we can trim some weight later.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
1day i'll have a garage like that ...

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #48 (Edited)
Eurotrash's paint going on , interior partly stripped out.

Waiting for Taffy's Lamborghini LM002 to be finished (being re-assembled and final wiring now and should be done by the end of June) then the M5's engine and gearbox will come out and be stripped down and rebuilt and suspension, brakes, roll cage etc going in.

We've missed the series for this year so we'll use it as a track day car, perhaps next year it will compete in the Indonesian European Touring Car Championship which is a series for new and classic European cars (dominated by Porsche)

Attachments

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
More progress this week

Paint will be done by the weekend.

Then a bit of a wait while the LM002 is finished , hopefully within 3 months Eurotrash will be drivable again after a 9 year hibernation.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #52 (Edited)
More paint photos

More paint photos

Paint is done , next is the roll cage and mechanical work.

On hold until Taffy's LM is running, we hope to fire up the Lamborghini V12 for the first time in 12 months this weekend we hope.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
you lucky boys - all those toys!

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
you lucky boys - all those toys!
That will be it for a while too I think , at least from me.

Taffy has a few other project ideas cooking for 2015.

CARPET

Weighed the carpet today , 18 kilograms

... and more photos

Attachments

·
Registered
153 Posts
Nice work fella:biggrinbounce:

I've built my own M5 rhd touring and got the weight down to 1600 kgs.

Base model 520 shell. Removed the following :- Air pump and associated pipework. Air con completely (put standard heater/blower in without auxiliary water pump) ABS and associated plumbing /wiring. Headlight adjusters and aw. Headlight washers, reservoirs etc. Electric sports seats replaced with manuals. Electric windows replaced with wind ups. Smaller battery as it has far less to do these days.
And to prove that I'm a complete obsessive (idiot?) every spare/unconnected or now redundant piece of wire I could find.
I have to be honest and say that apart from the occasional sideways look when a front seat passenger has to open their window manually no-one has ever questioned or even noticed that some fairly standard bits are missing.:1:
Don't know if that helps but I reckon I've removed just over 160 kgs.

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #56 (Edited)
Electric rear sun blind and photos

Electric rear sun blind assembly and rear parcel shelf delete, weight saving 6 kilograms

Attachments

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #57 (Edited)
Now that the Lamborghini LM002 restoration is nearing completion the team is back onto M5 projects.

Eurotrash's engine and gearbox are coming out tonight, the engine will go into Taffy's M5 for the moment while we rebuild GA25324 and GA25331s engines

This will give us a chance to test drive this engine for a few months and see what condition it's in.

All the new accessories from GA25331 (injectors , MAF, TPS etc) will be swapped over for the moment and we'll do the valve shims.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Engine + gearbox out

Engine + gearbox out , covered in 9 years of dust and mouse pooh from being parked up for 9 years

First clean up with the pressure washer and scotchbrite

Attachments

41 - 60 of 88 Posts