BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does any one know whether you can replace the US spec steering with the Euro spec rack and pinion steering ? It seems like it should be a simple swap.

------------------

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Think steering is the same on all E39 M5's. Also do not think it is rack and pinion due to lack of space with V8. Similar to 540 but modified with lighter parts.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by JohnH:
Think steering is the same on all E39 M5's. Also do not think it is rack and pinion due to lack of space with V8. Similar to 540 but modified with lighter parts.
No, I have seen a Euro spec E39 M-5 and it DOES have rack and pinion steering. It also has floating rear brakes, stiffer suspension and a few other odds and ends. The rack and pinion was supposely not put on the US spec car for front crashworthy reasons.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Have just checked up on specs and Euro E39 M5 is re-circulating ball power steering and not rack & pinion so not sure where your info came from.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by JohnH:
Have just checked up on specs and Euro E39 M5 is re-circulating ball power steering and not rack & pinion so not sure where your info came from.
Oh well, I could have swore the Euro car had rack and pinion.
Are you sure the UK car is the same as the rest of Europe. Is the specs you have for a right hand drive car ?

------------------

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
There are LHD vs RHD variations, and US cars get OBD-II and one-piece disk rotors (not floaters.)

Those are the only mechanical variations I'm aware of. Certainly the steering on Euro cars is not any different - that would require significant structural changes to the car.

If you saw an E39 with rack-and-pinion steering it was a 6-cylinder car. The V8 cars use a different front subframe derived from the E38 7-series.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts