BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am looking to get my 2006 SMG updated soon. The price for the Euro flash is only $100! Sounds like a steal to me to hopefully quicken up those low RPM shifts. I am not too concerned with LC, more with daily driving around town. I then see the ESS SMG tune, but it costs over $600. So my questions are:

A) Is anyone using the ESS SMG flash? If so, what are the main differences between the Euro and ESS?

B) Are those differences worth the extra crash for the ESS SMG flash?

Personally, if the ESS does make the overall driveability of the transmission smoother over the Euro tune, it might be worth the extra cash. At this point I am just not sure, but this is something I am going to have done within the next few weeks.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
306 Posts
I was looking to do the same thing to my car during the summer but never got down to it. Supposidly some super secret thing out here in Vancouver...

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
eas in socal; $95 for ecu and smg, anything computer flash is 95
Just to confirm, you had the SMG flashed for $95....AND then the other "Personal ECU Items (NAV start-up Screen, auto-folding mirrors, etc.) done for another $95? I was reading that Tom and the EAS crew was doing that all for just $95.

In any case, I have still not found what the difference is between the two flashes. I think I might need to go right to the source and call Roman at ESS to find out. Roman is a great guy, and has a massive amount of knowledge in tuning these cars, but he will undoubtedly provide reasons that the ESS SMG tune is superior (and it probably will be), but without having an unbiased review of both, it will be hard to conclude if the extra cash is worth it.

·
Registered
456 Posts
So I am looking to get my 2006 SMG updated soon. The price for the Euro flash is only $100! Sounds like a steal to me to hopefully quicken up those low RPM shifts. I am not too concerned with LC, more with daily driving around town. I then see the ESS SMG tune, but it costs over $600. So my questions are:

A) Is anyone using the ESS SMG flash? If so, what are the main differences between the Euro and ESS?

Personally, if the ESS does make the overall driveability of the transmission smoother over the Euro tune, it might be worth the extra cash. At this point I am just not sure, but this is something I am going to have done within the next few weeks.

Thoughts?
Please provide us with more info and possibly a website where we can look at this tune or give a telephone number we can call. I am interested in this as well

Thanks

·
Registered
380 Posts
Just to confirm, you had the SMG flashed for $95....AND then the other "Personal ECU Items (NAV start-up Screen, auto-folding mirrors, etc.) done for another $95? I was reading that Tom and the EAS crew was doing that all for just $95.

In any case, I have still not found what the difference is between the two flashes. I think I might need to go right to the source and call Roman at ESS to find out. Roman is a great guy, and has a massive amount of knowledge in tuning these cars, but he will undoubtedly provide reasons that the ESS SMG tune is superior (and it probably will be), but without having an unbiased review of both, it will be hard to conclude if the extra cash is worth it.
that is right, one time fee $95 for plug to your car, no matter how many change you want to do

according to other post, ESS tune the euro smg for faster gear change and other thing too

·
Registered
7,042 Posts
I am using the Manhart Racing SMG tune and I would assume that the ESS SMG tune will be similar.

The EURO SMG tune will not only change the RPM for the launch control. It will have no effect of the shifting of the SMG.

The SMG tune will make the shifts fatser, smoother and reduce the hesitation on take off.

IMHO! If you are not concerned about the LC, the EURO flash is a waste of money. :)

Thoughts?

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
I am using the Manhart Racing SMG tune and I would assume that the ESS SMG tune will be similar.

The EURO SMG tune will not only change the RPM for the launch control. It will have no effect of the shifting of the SMG.

The SMG tune will make the shifts fatser, smoother and reduce the hesitation on take off.

IMHO! If you are not concerned about the LC, the EURO flash is a waste of money. :)
Euro Flash can be done DIY so its cheap. I had it and got rid of it cause i dont do LC and got the red cog the very next week so I went back to US spec.

·
Registered
7,042 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
euro smg also took away the hesitation from a stop. A clutch saver for me when I'm trying to get up my driveway. The shifts also have less hesitation. I'd do it again and 5x what eas charges

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
8 Participants
Krnnerdbou
BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums
M5Board is the best forum community for information on the BMW M5 E60 (V-10), E39 (V-8), E34 (straight 6), E28, F90 and F10. Discuss performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing