BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
...Sooooo

We took some time these past weeks to do a euro road trip. Normally it's easier to just fly somewhere and spend a week or two in an area, as we have done over the 19 years we have been living in euroland. But as I/we will likely move back to the USA (and sell my CB euro spec E39 M5), this may be one of the last opportunities to enjoy the 'bahn with the family. So, this is not a track trip - this text etc below is for those of you that can appreciate speed, and with the family, in the 'all-time' family sport saloon.

...to put the pleasure of owning this beast for some years in context with the family, I wanted to start with this pic of my kids with the M from over 8 years ago;

oldm5.jpg

...some of my little girls first words were 'go daddy go' - uh, and then of course I hit it in first and burned the tires when I hit second - she got a kick out of it, I loved it (and still do).:M5launch:

...amazing how time flies. The kids are older, and the M now has (after the trip) 150,000km on her, and still pulls like a train.

...here she is, all cleaned up before the trip;

m1.jpg

m2.jpg

...on with the trip - not quite 2-weeks but plenty of driving on mostly decent roads, the pic below shows the intended route - approximately 3,000km - the 'plan' was to hit Berlin, Dresden, then Prague, Vienna, and on the way home stop by Neuschwanstein for an overnight before returning home. YES - I packed 5 liters of 10W-60 - but only had to add two - the beast normally drinks a liter every 1000km but she wasn't as thirsty keeping her running

trpwide.jpg

- leaving from Mons Belgium, and over to Berlin on the first day - everyone in the car, and FULL of luggage. On this leg of the trip - we started on a Sunday morning - (best time on the 'bahn - no trucks) - had a little rain but by the time deeper into 'bahn territory I was able to push her more, and with less traffic, enjoy it more.
This was heaven of course - - in the video down lower below I capture some of the 'atmosphere.'
For driving this was one of the best legs - seemed like HOURS of cruising at 220kph+ (136ishmph):grinyes:

The first gas stop was an Aral - - yea - - Aral Ultimate 102 - yummy.

EDIT - almost forgot - - I got 20.1 mpg - 11.7 l/100km fuel for the entire trip - at 240kph / 145mph (gps) 14.6 mpg / 16.1 l/100km - amazing

trpleg1.jpg

BERLIN is a fantastic city - haven't been there for many years, and it has really improved. Some pics of some of the sites - but none of the M from this part - had her hidden away in an underground garage. Sooo much to see in all of these cities - we only spent a few days at each - Some we had been to before, but the kids were smaller, so hopefully now they have some memories

Just a few pics to give some flavor - we took over 5,000 pics:rolleyes:, so trying to select something that may or may not be interesting for this diverse audience is a challenge - so I didn't take time to shoot exotic cars as you see them everywhere (Lambo's, Ferrari's - GT3's etc) got a few different modes of transport besides a few of the sites and some fam pics mixed in...

berlinfam2.jpg

berlinfam3.jpg

berlinfam4.jpg

berlinfam4a.jpg

and old eastern bloc classic above - and below - me dreaming at the Sony center etc

berlinfam5.jpg

berlinfam.jpg

...couldn't resist - why so serious;

serrus.jpg

...then it was off to Dresden. Had the chance to 'let her breathe' a few times on the way down, good roads - the route for this and the next leg below;

trpleg23.jpg

Always wanted to visit this city - have met some folks from there in the past - was NOT disappointed - awesome city, VERY very nice, and we really enjoyed it and the deep culture / museums etc

...common to see street performers - - especially as some form of 'statues' etc - but this one was extraordinary;

dresden2.jpg

...ahhh the city, and a beer

dresden2a.jpg

dresden2b.jpg

yep - just like when I was a young adult back in the day - age to drink is 18 - and the beer is GR8

stayed at this B&B - car parked out back

dresden3a.jpg

dresden3.jpg

...as mentioned - the next leg was from Dresden to Prague - started great - and just when I was really enjoying the 'bahn, yes, the border, and - to characterize the roads in the Czech Republic - crap - so no joy, and construction - - ugh :grrrrr:. If you visit Prague - just fly in...

...caught this RHD '2000sa?' on the way down;

pr2000sa.jpg

...but the city of Prague - excellent;

prag1.jpg

prag2.jpg

prag3.jpg

prag4.jpg

...yes, only in Prague - chicks on the tops of buildings

...on to Vienna - - this road was also messy - especially the first Czech part, and then when I got to Austria - cameras everywhere so no burning the road...

trpleg4.jpg

the city however - a classic of course - film festival going on, but also a jazz festival with bands and good food;

vienna1.jpg

v2.jpg

v3.jpg

...taking some time to appreciate a local - Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart

v4.jpg

...and back on Shell V100 (edit - and only 1.72 euro a liter / about $8.70 a gallon) :sad2:;

v5.jpg

...then back on the road for the next leg - decent - not too much traffic - got to 'heat it up' a few times, but then rain set in. Now speed and rain do not mix - so on the 'bahn - keep it below 160kph/100mph.

trpleg5.jpg

...on top of all the bugs - the rain and dirt now on the beast

n1.jpg

....and the next spot everyone recognizes;

n2.jpg

n3.jpg

...by now the legs are REALLY tired - a blister on a toe - and I need a vacation to recuperate - but yessss - the final leg to go

trpleg6.jpg

...and this leg was GR8 especially on the 'bahn to Ulm - really hit sustained speed many times - but with the family, as before, never over 240kph and normally 200-220 - - then some traffic, and then later - closer to Belgium - again rain - ugh.

- here's a short clip to try to give some sense of travel with the family on the 'bahn in the M (-my wife will kill me when she sees it -her sleeping). She said she wasn't sleeping and can 'tell when I go over 220kph' - 'feels like flying'

...not sure why the imbed isn't working - here's the link;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEl5hO8kKLc

...hope you enjoyed it.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Great trip. Look like good family time.
Some amazing architectures there.

Reactions: MarkQC

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
I was just in most of those cities you went to this summer also. It was my first time stopping in Dresden and it was beautiful I'm surprised no one really mentions it! Very quiet and relaxing city. I always make time to stop in Prague when I'm in Europe, very fun atmosphere there. Making plans to travel to Europe again next summer again.

Your trip looked amazing and looks like you had a blast!

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
I just imagined my family in a car for two weeks hiha

I'm glad all of you appear to have survived each other, and it looks like you had a great time. Thank you for sharing the great pictures!

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just imagined my family in a car for two weeks hiha

I'm glad all of you appear to have survived each other, and it looks like you had a great time. Thank you for sharing the great pictures!
thanks

I should have said travel time was approximately;

to berlin - 7.5 hours - mostly bliss- ''bahn at speed" & kids and spouse - reading/sleeping -Ipads w - headphones/books etc - very quiet - only the S62 purrring mmmmmm

to Dresden less than 2 hours, 3 for Prague, longer for Vienna, then with traffic and sights almost 7 to Neuschwanstein, and the final leg 8hrs - - but all on different days - so no problem at all and seemed like only 3 days were mostly consumed with travel, as the other trips were short and only took a little of the day...

as for the family, the only frustrations were traffic/construction/and rain...

·
Registered
155 Posts
Fantastic. I visited some of these places last year, but we mostly flew everywhere. Now ruing the fact that we didn't try drive, but i'm reliving some of the sights vicariously through your pictures. :haha:

Nice photo composition, btw.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Fantastic!

Time does fly but it doesn't seem to have a grip on the beast, she looks super clean after all this time. Did I read correctly that you're going to SELL her? ??????

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Very nice Mark! Great to see you enjoy these trips all together! This is what the M5 was made for: highspeed cruising through border after border!

·
1,928 Posts
Nice writeup and some excellent photography too.

And a fantastic demonstration of what our cars are for...

YG

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Fantastic!

Time does fly but it doesn't seem to have a grip on the beast, she looks super clean after all this time. Did I read correctly that you're going to SELL her? ??????

Doesn't make sense to ship her to the US - would spend $8-10k getting it imported/certified etc -
- so sometime in the spring of '15 I should know when I will move - - and then start the process to sell - unless I get a better offer in advance

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
Looks like fun times!

Thanks for sharing

A

PS I spent two weeks in Germany, CH and UK with my 22 YO son.... two days at nurburgring, some Alps hikes, etc. But I dont have near the energy to post that up. ;)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts