BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having previously owned both a 1999 and 2000 E55, I installed European springs and shocks on both of these vehicles as I prefer the appearance of an E55 when it rides at European height (about 1" lower than its USA counterpart).

Before purchasing my M5, I set out to see if the Part Nos. differed for the Euro. vs. USA M5 insofar as front and rear springs, front and rear shocks, front and rear brake rotors, front and rear brake calipers, front and rear brake pads.

As has been discussed ad nauseum on this message board, the front and rear brake rotors are different for the USA M5s vs. the Euro M5s.

The front and rear springs and shocks are the same in both instances. The USA and Euro M5s thusly ride at the same height (unlike a USA E55 which has excessive visual "gap" between the top of the tires and the wheel well opening). Therefore, we should be happy that the USA version M5 rides exactly at European height (saving the need to change springs and shocks to emulate Euro-spec ride height and shock damping).

The front and rear brake calipers are the same for both versions. The front brake pads have different part nos. while the rear brake pads have the same part no.

I did not compare USA vs. Euro anti-roll bars, but I am confident that they too do not differ on the two versions. If I am wrong about this, please inform me.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts