BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I had the euro smg sw installed about a month back and have been too paranoid about the wear and tear to try the LC...Until today.

Drove around the back of a relatively empty industrial park and let her rip; good god man! Rubber right through to third (where I let off), smoke, counter steer, the whole exhibitionist shebang!

However I did smell clutch for a while afterwards, as I thought this is not a routine maneuver the car was designed for...Just once in a while stunt to impress your brother in law or old college pals I suppose.

Its laugh out loud fun though...

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
I take it you mashed the pedal down quickly when doing the launch control steps? In that case you engaged the burnout mode of launch control. For the optimum launch version you need to slowly depress the accelerator (over a second or so).

·
Registered
393 Posts
I don't think the launch control has a burnout option. I believe the amount of burned rubber depends on the traction you have - the launch control will burn rubber if there's less traction in order to launch aggressively. Here's a vid of my only launch control (the two guys giggling like girls are colleagues of mine :hihi:)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FaIy70PPsBI

We were trying to do a few flyby vids with the new exhaust, but there was too much traffic and ambient noise. I picked them up after I did a few fast flybys and decided to do a launch controlled start. My tyres were warmed up pretty good from the flybys and there was absolutely no wheel spin whatsoever. In order to engage the LC I switch to S6, held the gear lever forward and mashed the gas pedal all the way down and did not release it until the very end of the video.

The speed shown is in km/h, but the dash cam GPS cannot update fast enough for the acceleration :hihi:

Reactions: 5soko

·
Read Only
1,256 Posts
I've not used LC since I'm still on US spec but when I'm shifting under full acceleration in S6 it SLAMS into gear both audibly and feel. Your shifts seem much softer.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Sounds like fun, though a bit tough on the transmission/driveline, perhaps?

·
Registered
153 Posts
Burnout mode?? LMAO

I take it you mashed the pedal down quickly when doing the launch control steps? In that case you engaged the burnout mode of launch control. For the optimum launch version you need to slowly depress the accelerator (over a second or so).
Burnout mode? LOL! Really? That's cute. Sorry, no such thing exists. What might have happened is that he lifted just a bit from pinned to the floor for just long enough to disengage the features of the Euro LC that keep the car from doing everything his did. Any heavy throttle input immediately following that would certainly produce the results stated in the original post of this thread.

Ironically enough, I did 2 LC starts today at different RPMs while participating in the Half-Mile Shootout here at the Nevada Open Road Challenge. I'll be posting videos of my runs shortly, and you'll be able to see that even though I put the loud pedal to the floor quite quickly before launching, there was almost no wheelspin or squirliness to deal with. Just a straight shot down a strip of asphalt.

Having your SMG flashed to Euro-spec does rock, though. :biggrinbounce:

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
I have never done LC on my car over the past 5 years even when it had 700hp.

Maybe that's why I never busted anything... :). The SMG ain't no PDK.

·
Registered
13,463 Posts
I tried it once and the car does not like it when you have 850bhp hiha

and like was said earlier, if you lift just slightly off the accel. pedal then you disengage LC and it will do just a burn out.

·
Registered
224 Posts
does anyone have a source for the euro flash code? I have the software to flash it myself but I can't find the actual firmware :(

1 - 9 of 9 Posts