BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
OP - Perhaps you might want to have your cold start coded out.
JColley of FAMS did my cold start delete along with my engine tune.
My idle at start-up is always smooth and I never go through that first couple minutes of sounding like a diesel.

I'll point out that I also have the Euro SMG tune which I've had for years, and that my beast spends 98% of it's time in South Florida where we do not have an emissions check.

·
Registered
532 Posts
OP - Perhaps you might want to have your cold start coded out.
JColley of FAMS did my cold start delete along with my engine tune.
My idle at start-up is always smooth and I never go through that first couple minutes of sounding like a diesel.

I'll point out that I also have the Euro SMG tune which I've had for years, and that my beast spends 98% of it's time in South Florida where we do not have an emissions check.

The euro software is how you code out cold start. what we need is the ability to pass obdII smog check and have the euro spec software too

·
1,560 Posts
The euro software is how you code out cold start. what we need is the ability to pass obdII smog check and have the euro spec software too
I've tried both euro tunes, both have cat heating routines. I've never experienced a heating routine other than at startup. Haven't experienced the fast idle either.

Edit: Fast idle other than at startup I should say. The US tune keeps RPMs low on cold starts, both euro tunes have a fast idle of 1200 or so for a minute or two. Cold engine is a LOT happier with fast idle when cold.
Euro tunes do not remove cold start. They have a different cat heating routine, but still engage the air pump, etc.

I've tried both tunes for a few months. I felt no difference between 799 and 639 as far as power or drive-ability goes. I ended up going back to 639 as the car eventually started throwing a low battery warning and also DME alternator codes with the 799. Thought it was the regulator which I had a spare for, but after swapping it the alt error would be set as soon as engine was started. Flashed back to 639 and all errors are gone. Probably has to do something with proper integration with other modules.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Euro tunes do not remove cold start. They have a different cat heating routine, but still engage the air pump, etc.

I've tried both tunes for a few months. I felt no difference between 799 and 639 as far as power or drive-ability goes. I ended up going back to 639 as the car eventually started throwing a low battery warning and also DME alternator codes with the 799. Thought it was the regulator which I had a spare for, but after swapping it the alt error would be set as soon as engine was started. Flashed back to 639 and all errors are gone. Probably has to do something with proper integration with other modules.

That’s funny, I get high battery drain every morning without ever having a battery below 12.36 made me carry a vom with me everywhere. I’m running the 799, still need to see if it runs the parameters to pass smog. Simply if it sets the monitors

·
Registered
222 Posts
On global mode I check for dtc’s and looks like all necessary dtc’s are set to pass smog. Only draw back is the high battery drain that pops up every morning
Edit: this is the 799

Awesome! I appreciate you doing this.
I have a question, are you fully catless by any chance? I’m having a hard time getting my O2 sensor to set.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
532 Posts
Awesome! I appreciate you doing this.
I have a question, are you fully catless by any chance? I’m having a hard time getting my O2 sensor to set.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No stock right now. I’m making a new mid pipe without secondary cats. Will do headers after I do rod bearings and vanos. As far as setting dtc’s it can take weeks to set all of them because of the need for mixed and prolonged driving speeds

21 - 39 of 39 Posts