BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just returned with the beast (the car not the missus) from a two week blat around europe. Took in France, Germany, Switzerland and Italy. Gave me a good chance to try some new scenery at speed and weigh up our Euro cousins roadcraft. No competition as far as I'm concerned but for highway driving the Italians are the champs. Once you get through the Mont Blanc tunnel and hit the motorway past Genova on the way to Pisa you go through endless tunnels and raised highways with high speed bends which can be taken at three figure speeds. OK for our beasts but I was surprised to see Italians doing the same in white vans, campers and all sorts. Well I was quite impressed with those Ragazzi. They are also the leading exponent of the method of overtaking involving full beam and indicator on one inch away from the bumper in front. I hitched a ride behind an X5 outside of Milan doing that at 130mph and it was like following an ambulance clearing its way through the traffic. Dont think I saw one speed camera whilst I was there either.
No road rage either just business like, unlike when I got back to London where it was all pointless aggresion in traffic jams.

So after my trip here's my ranking for Joe Public drivers in Europe (fast but controlled driving):

1. Italy
2. France (plenty of bottle in spirited driving in torrential rain)
3. Germany
4. Holland
5. Switzerland
6. UK (hopeless)

Anyone disagree? :viking:

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
M5e3438 said:
Anyone disagree? :viking:
Sounds like a fab trip!

Me and a mate drove to Geneva for the motorshow this year.
Armed with his diesel 307, we managed the trip there and back in one day.

The way the europeans drive on the motorways is a real credit. If it wasn't for theire road craft we would not of managed it in the 24 hours for sure.
Once back in the uk, we were once agin greeted by people with no idea how to over take, read the road ahead etc...

We have much to learn from our european cousins on that front.

Steve

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hertfordshire1 said:
Sounds like a fab trip!

Me and a mate drove to Geneva for the motorshow this year.
Armed with his diesel 307, we managed the trip there and back in one day.

The way the europeans drive on the motorways is a real credit. If it wasn't for theire road craft we would not of managed it in the 24 hours for sure.
Once back in the uk, we were once agin greeted by people with no idea how to over take, read the road ahead etc...

We have much to learn from our european cousins on that front.

Steve
Steve

I agree - the Brits inability to move over from the fast lane is depressing, and thats with three lanes never mind the two that most european countries have. I did occasionally see a GB plate over there and yeah they were clogging up the left hand lane :3:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts