BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone outside the US, I have a question.

I'm looking at the various DME versions from BMW. It appears that a Euro version I'm looking at doesn't have the cold start routine as the US models. This makes the car quite loud on starts in the mornings as it tries to heat the cats up quickly by adjusting the valve timing and fuel pulse.

Do any of you know if this is the case?

·
Registered
121 Posts
My UK spec car definitely has a cold start sequence - it sounds a bit like a dishwasher for the first couple of minutes.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Yes, mine is noticeably louder on a cold start, settles down after a few mins.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
LOVE that cold start

·
Registered
666 Posts

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That is the binary I am looking at actually. I compared it to the associated .0da file to verify the version and there are no differences. I was starting to think that the cat heating section had been disabled, but I apparently have some map addresses incorrect instead.

I flashed the same ZB a week ago, but haven't had a chance to drive it much yet.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Yep, we definitely have a cold start as well. We live in an apartment building, 4th floor. My wife says she can hear me start the car in the morning, down in the underground garage :hihi: It's pretty loud with the valves open in a closed space like a garage, but I cba closing them every morning. No one has complained yet, so I guess neighbours like the sound of the S85 :hihi:

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
My E61 has it, its relatively loud in comparison to when it turns off and goes to normal idle.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts