·
Registered
924 Posts
Search on Dynavin...

Reactions: ChrisM

·
Registered
431 Posts
I question the quality of the product if they can't spell the car manufacturer's name correctly - especially when it's right on the logo below the misspellings. It's like buying a E46 M3 from a guy who thinks it has a V6 - you just don't do it, because you can't respect that lack of basic knowledge.

·
Registered
232 Posts
The unit is from Hualingan. I've got it in my 525d Touring and am quite happy with it. There are a few snags though.

If you have DSP in your car, forget it. I'm not sure, if anybody did get that to work yet. Also, the OBC is not supported in the unit, so you still need your MID somewhere. The multi-function steering wheel works flawlessly though.

The unit is more or less plug-and-play and if you only have the Business radio, then this is the easiest way to migrate. A move to the professional units requires the whole wiring to be retrofit. The package unpacked looks like this:

And installed in the car like this

I highly recommend to buy the unit locally to you, because there have been some quality issues, that might have to be solved over warranty. Other than that, once you have a working unit, it's definatly a nice upgrade.

Any more questions, feel free to ask.

/M

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, thats good info.

No workie with DSP? My car has DSP, does that mean that the head unit won't work at all or just that DSP functionality is lost with the upgrade?

·
Registered
232 Posts
Thanks, thats good info.

No workie with DSP? My car has DSP, does that mean that the head unit won't work at all or just that DSP functionality is lost with the upgrade?
Well, you can't control the DSP from the unit, first of all. Theoretically it's supposed to work, but I don't know anyone that has that combination and neither my M5, 525d nor the 740i have DSP, so I can't even confirm it myself.

On the other hand, you might actually want to get rid of the DSP altogether. The Hualingan unit has on top of the BMW wiring cinch-out for front, rear and sub, so that you can connect to standard amps and create a much better sound system in the car. The DSP system is sort of quite outdated and a pain in the neck when trying to add anything. Just my 2c.

/M

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
It will not work with the DSP amp. If you want to use these then you will either have to rig up the original radio out of the way (in the boot for example) to keep the DSP amp working, you'll loose the control capabilities unless you also rig up the MID, or remove the DSP amp and install something else.

Personally I'd be very sceptical of this type of unit. They are basically a cheap Chinese unit with a BMW specific front panel. You can pretty much guarantee they will have quality issues and I think they will have serious heat issues when in use for any length of time.

For example, here is the state of the volume knob on one unit after a week or two

Personally, I'd rather stick with OEM, do the job properly and install a decent high end system with proper guarantee from a well known brand (Pioneer, Alpine, etc ...) or install a full blown car PC.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Richard, did you install it in the M5 ?

The peeling of paint, is one of those issues I have. It's around the corners of the knobs in my case though. Another issue is, that the touchscreen had issues during the cold days (not working), which is either down to a poor quality touch screen or bad soldering. The GPS module didn't work properly either, when the unit arrived. But that all has been sorted via warranty.

As I have the 16:9 setup in the M5, I wouldn't replace it there, but in the Touring I only had a Business CD radio and in general, I'm very happy with the Hualingan unit, with the way it works etc.. I'm getting 2 new knobs and if they start peeling again, I might try to fix a permanent solution myself (painting them whatever).

As you state, the MID is still needed for the DSP control, but not only that. You can't change the settings for the BC either without. Since the connector for the MID is not used on the Hualingan unit, it can be re-routed to the glove compartment and the MID could be installed there. With my Touring this wasn't an issue, as I have the small BC in that and no BC functionality in the MID.

/M

·
Registered
232 Posts
Thanks a lot guys, that's all I needed to know :)

I'll stick with the crappy 4:3 for now.
If you have a 4:3 already, then don't replace it with the Hualingan. Go for a 16:9 OEM. There is no point going with the Hualingan. It only makes sense, if you're on Business or Business CD.

/M

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If you have a 4:3 already, then don't replace it with the Hualingan. Go for a 16:9 OEM. There is no point going with the Hualingan. It only makes sense, if you're on Business or Business CD.

/M
That may be true, but I really want an MP3/Aux solution that doesn't involve iPhone/Apple products.

·
Registered
924 Posts
If you look at the pictures of the two units, they are subtly different.

I'm not sure if they are the same unit? Or even based off the same unit?

I stand corrected ;)

·
Registered
232 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
The Gateway 500 is for the current generation of cars that have the MOST bus, it will not work with the iBus in the E39.
Well, the product-code GWF1BM4 came of the Dension product-sheet as being compatible for the E39, the shop link I posted states "Gateway 5" and lists E39 as compatible, so I'd say you'd be pretty safe assuming it works with iBus and in the E39 :)

Actually, looking at the product matrix again, yes, the product code that I posted and the shop link is for the gateway 5, not the gateway 500. I only got the product matrix from the gateway 500 page. The gateway 5 is compatible with the facelift E39's though. And otherwise, there would be the Gateway Lite and Blue units, that also do E39.

/M

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
Well, the product-code GWF1BM4 came of the Dension product-sheet as being compatible for the E39, the shop link I posted states "Gateway 5" and lists E39 as compatible, so I'd say you'd be pretty safe assuming it works with iBus and in the E39 :)

Actually, looking at the product matrix again, yes, the product code that I posted and the shop link is for the gateway 5, not the gateway 500. I only got the product matrix from the gateway 500 page. The gateway 5 is compatible with the facelift E39's though. And otherwise, there would be the Gateway Lite and Blue units, that also do E39.

/M
That page also states the following:

Gateway 5 is not compatible in case of:

the head unit has factory phone module

Head Units with DSP are not supported yet

1 - 20 of 23 Posts