BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
3,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So for those who have been following i was kicking around the idea of either selling the m5 and getting an e92 m3, or keeping her and going FI. So i decided to go with the ESS VT650 kit. Really can't beat the price at $4995. ordered the kit tuesday, they shipped it overnight and had it wednesday morning. been picking away at it over the last few days and finally got it buttoned up tonight. still have to route some wires and make a few adjustments but shes on there. software downloaded and uploaded flawlessly, pulled the read file in the early afternoon and had it back the same day. first start was smooth as silk, not a sputter, hiccup, or miss. only took her for a short ride tonight but all i can say is holy $hit!! wow what a transformation of the vehicle. cant wait till tomorrow to get some driving time in. would like to thank Roman and Mike at ESS for a smooth transaction and for fielding my numerous questions over the last couple days and being a relative pain in the *****. they are great people and are a pleasure to deal with, highly recommended.

·
Banned
3,793 Posts

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
Congrats man.cherrsagai

·
Registered
12,891 Posts
Welcome to the FI club!!

Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
126 Posts
Impressive!

Tell us a little about your installation experience. I know I would be hoping for some kind of DIY guide. Maybe you don't need one being the pro that you are. Any instructions provided? Any surprises along the way?

I am also impressed with how quickly you got that thing together - assuming you have a day job.

Nice work! One of the cleanest engine bays I have ever seen.

·
Registered
3,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
it took me about a day total split over two, working slowly. the kit comes with install instructions in pdf form. no real issues to deal with, its a pretty straight forward procedure. just bolting on parts. if i was to do it over i could probably do it in a 1/3 of the time. couple tweaks i want to do like completely delete the secondary air piping and seal off the ports.

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
Pretty freakin' sweet man. I'm thinking of doing the same either next or the following year. I have to first throw in a new clutch and change out some bushings and other suspension items.

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Looking good! What size pulley is ESS sending with the kits these days? That charge pipe gets pretty hot. Is it OK to zip tie the wire loom to it? Congrats on the kit!

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Looks like a clean install. Congrats.

Has ESS addressed the piping between the air filter and SC inlet? Seems like several folks had issues with the supplied hose collapsing and limiting boost. Not a hard problem to deal with, but curious if they have addressed this rather well known issue so owners don't have to.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Clean...

Ha - I see it - there is one speck of dirt, right behind the bolt in the corner....

:)

Kidding - that is one clean engine room and an impressive installation.

Reactions: chuffykow

·
Registered
15 Posts
Wow, impressive and beautiful.

How many miles on the car?

We are original owner with 132k miles and worry it's too late to run this kit and potentially damage car. Am I wrong?

·
Banned
3,793 Posts
1 - 20 of 101 Posts