Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
ESS Background:

ESS (European Supercharging Systems) has been around for over 10 years and has time and time again produced software and supercharger kits that beat the competition in terms of price, performance, and reliability.

I am very good friends with those who test the ESS prototype products, as well as the programmer himself. The programmer is absolutely amazing. He knows these BMW ECU’s better than anyone else. I’ve been following tuners since around 2004 – I know most of them and what they modify in the code to achieve their results.

The BMW DME’s are extremely complex computers. Two processors, and the ability to perform millions of operations per second keep that V10 roaring past 8000rpm. For this reason you want to go with an ECU upgrade that retains factory reliability, while increasing horsepower and torque the RIGHT way, rather than through the use of piggyback systems that trick the cars DME, or tuners that simply increase the timing.

ESS actually has the expertise to remap virtually all portions of the ECU for better drivability and performance, without a sacrifice to reliability at all.
After this software was installed in my car, I immediately felt a huge difference in performance. Most of all, the car is much smoother than before. It really changed the characteristics of the motor for the better. His software also incorporates Factory BMW Motorsport software that is unreleased by BMW.

Here are the specifications:

-Raised Rev Limiter to 8400RPM (optional 8500RPM at your own risk)
-Removed Top Speed Limiter
-Remapped and Improved Engine Parameters, including timing, fueling, and VANOS operation
-Improved Throttle Response
-Improved Torque Management Programming
-Ability to request a CEL delete in case of exhaust modifications
-Custom tweaking based on your current/future modifications
<o></o>
Introductory pricing for this software is $1149. Please PM me if you are interested. I will post more info in the next couple of days. The more people willing to move on this, the more room I’m given to play with the price to give everyone a better deal.

Good meeting everyone today at the RPI meet! I'm very surprised that my car was dynoing within 5 HP of E60/E63's with headers, cat delete, pulleys, etc... Maybe its the software?

Mike

<o>
</o>

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
What if your out of state, how would you achieve this upgrade.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What if your out of state, how would you achieve this upgrade.
In that case, I will provide instructions on removing your stock ECU, and you would ship it to their programming office in Phoenix, AZ. That's what I did :2:.

Forgot to mention that this software is 100% undetectable by the dealer.

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
Thanks for the write-up, Mike. Maybe you should post a dyno graph as well because I know most people want to see it. Fortunately, I have a chance to witness at RPI dyno shoot-out and can confirm everyone that his car pull very strong on a very conservative dyno today. The highest for the day was like 420whp(M6) which included Evosport header/pulley/ecu stageII, BMC filter, CF removed, RPI scoop, Dinan exhaust/3.91diff while Mike Benvo's M5 was dyno at 415hp with just ESS ecu, dinan exhaust,K&N filter, CF removed, and RPI scoop(installed just before the dyno). You can argue that he might have strong motor to start with, but I have seen the dyno just ESS tune on his car, and it was about 10hp/tq gain through out the powerband.

I'm personally running out of hope on modding my weak/slagger M5 and why not give it a try. Count me in.

Congrats and thanks for providing other great option/product for our M community.

Kenny

P.S. Ops, forgot to add that M6 was running race fuel as well:7::1:

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thanks Kenny, I appreciate your input! I'm kicking myself for not getting 100 octane before the meet. I was thinking about it but then got a parking ticket and got pissed off and went home - lol. I'm going to try and get the RPI pulley put on tuesday :).

Email me at [email protected] and I'll get you hooked up ASAP.

Attached are the dynos (+15% correction for dynojet and more for mustang - this dyno is VERY conservative):

Attachments

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
So what is the expected hp/ tq gain from the ESS computer upgrade ?

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
opps double post !

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Yeah, I'm becoming a believer. Was there for the RPi shootout and
Mike's car was only 5hp off the strongest cars. These cars had
everything...software, headers, pulleys, etc. Very impressive. Also
folks should note that the dyno was reading at least 20hp lower
than what I was use to. I figure you'd be running around 455-460
on a dynojet. That's crazy. You, Vic, and myself should all meet up
at SP Engineering for a round 2 dyno shootout. This time on a dynojet
and no race gas!

Mike, I'm interested with notes in my PM.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
With this software, is there a cost for a reflash if we need a dealer update, or is that covered with the original purchase? thanks...

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Hi everyone,

I will be meeting with the programmer later today. He is actually in California. I am going to talk to him about possibly dropping the price.

Give me some time to answer the PM's (I've received a lot), as I want to clarify everything with the man himself.

If the dealer reflashes your DME and erases the ESS software, we will reprogram it free of charge. However, you will be responsible for the shipping charges.

I'll get back to you guys soon!

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Hi everyone,

I will be meeting with the programmer later today. He is actually in California. I am going to talk to him about possibly dropping the price.

Give me some time to answer the PM's (I've received a lot), as I want to clarify everything with the man himself.

If the dealer reflashes your DME and erases the ESS software, we will reprogram it free of charge. However, you will be responsible for the shipping charges.

I'll get back to you guys soon!
Nice to see ESS stand by the fact that yes, people will inevitably have their software reflashed on this car.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Nice to see ESS stand by the fact that yes, people will inevitably have their software reflashed on this car.
Yeah, it happens time and time again. Usually when I take mine to the dealer, I tell the SA to put on the work order not to perform any DME programming or updates. Sometimes it slips through the cracks but we will accommodate those customers.

Thanks for your input! :)

·
Registered
157 Posts
Yeah, I'm becoming a believer. Was there for the RPi shootout and
Mike's car was only 5hp off the strongest cars. These cars had
everything...software, headers, pulleys, etc. Very impressive. Also
folks should note that the dyno was reading at least 20hp lower
than what I was use to. I figure you'd be running around 455-460
on a dynojet. That's crazy. You, Vic, and myself should all meet up
at SP Engineering for a round 2 dyno shootout. This time on a dynojet
and no race gas!

Mike, I'm interested with notes in my PM.
I agree, we should meet again. I wonder if ESS software will give more power to both of our cars?
:cheers:

·
Registered
917 Posts
Is there a place I can take my car in for a day and get this update done instead of shipping the ecu? If so, where would that be? I noticed Phoenix, AZ as the location of the programmer but you just said he is in LA?

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Is there a place I can take my car in for a day and get this update done instead of shipping the ecu? If so, where would that be? I noticed Phoenix, AZ as the location of the programmer but you just said he is in LA?
According to the website:

ECU mailing address for US/Canada customers:

ESS Performance Products USA Inc.
16845 N 29th Ave
Suite 1 #303
Phoenix
AZ 85053

Let us know what you find!

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
According to the website:

ECU mailing address for US/Canada customers:

ESS Performance Products USA Inc.
16845 N 29th Ave
Suite 1 #303
Phoenix
AZ 85053

Let us know what you find!
Yes, that's the address to ship the ECU for reprogramming. Make sure to place your order with me first before shipping, and put Attn: Todd M. on the package. Also make sure that you insure your ECU for 2K.

As far as meeting up locally, there really is no point. The office in Phoenix is where the ECU's are reprogrammed, but not unnecessarily where the ECU is remapped. It wouldn't speed the process up because the tech still needs 3-5 hours to reprogram everything. If you wish to drop off your ECU with them and pick it up once it is fully programmed and ready to go, that is an option. You will save on the shipping costs.

Trol: The programmer is currently somewhere in California. So basically the way this would work is you would send/drop off your ECU at the address above. Todd will read your file and send it to the programmer. Once the programmer has time, he will tune your software and then upload the file back to Todd in Phoenix. Then Todd will flash your ECU with the new file, and it will be ready for pickup/shipment.

Please PM me if you are serious about this.

I'm waiting to hear back from the programmer. He usually sleeps until 3PM or so. Nice life! :p

·
Registered
915 Posts
i believe it! i'll be getting this later for sure. thanks mike.

1 - 20 of 89 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.