BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys...

I'm planning on sending in my DME for the ESS upgrade next week.

I know a number of you posted some great reviews, but I just wanted to get an update now that you've been able to put some mileage with the new programming. Please let me know your findings.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated :cheers:

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
No difference to the original gains from the first day installed to 1000 miles for me. Its good to a 10 hp max at best. It has been proven that all software is about the same. Go for the cheapest.

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
I disagree. I am still very happy with the software and I feel the best benefit of the ESS tune isthe improved shifting. I have noticed that on a couple of occasions when really pushin my car, she started to run hot. I have the pulleys as well, but those were consistent in causing the car to run two neeedle widths hotter. Now I was about half way to the next "point" on the guage and it would heat up when I was running hard and then cool if a mellowed out. This happened twice and I do not know if it is realted to the tune. Anybody else with ESS experiencing an increase in engine temp?

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
andrew - Would you agree with tjav8b's assertion of ~10 h.p. increase? How improved is the shifting? Improvement in D mode too?

tjav8b - Any shift improvements?

How does the software handle red line rpm? Any other pluses or minuses?

Thanks guys. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you all for your comments.

As Andrew said, the shifting is one of the main reasons going for the tune. While I've started to learn how to drive it pretty smooth now, I'd take any software to smoothen it out.

The heat comment concerns me a bit as I live in Hawaii. I also plan to install the pulley kit. Two needle widths doesn't sound too hot though, but I haven't had my car for very long and haven't really driven it hard.

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
I can't give you any reliable measurement of HP increase. My butt dyno is decidably unreliable. I am planning on a dyno day in 2 weeks and ten I would be able to tell what the aggregate increase was from pulley and software. Not very helpful in isolating the ESS gains, but all I have. I think ESS may have done before and after dynos aomewhere on the board. I does feel faster and there seems to be more usable torque in the lower ranges.

The shifting improvement was significant. Enough to justify the cost in and of itself.

As far as redline, I had mine increased to 8400 (you can choose 8500 at your own risk). What I really like is that the redline on the HUD moved up, but they left the yellow line the same, so it leaves you with a larger, more usable "shift zone". I have been able to peg redline shifts much better with this setup. The engine spools up so damn quickly, that the factory yellow zone is far too narrow to be usable. I didn't really notice the deficiency until I had the wider area.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
I disagree. I am still very happy with the software and I feel the best benefit of the ESS tune isthe improved shifting. I have noticed that on a couple of occasions when really pushin my car, she started to run hot. I have the pulleys as well, but those were consistent in causing the car to run two neeedle widths hotter. Now I was about half way to the next "point" on the guage and it would heat up when I was running hard and then cool if a mellowed out. This happened twice and I do not know if it is realted to the tune. Anybody else with ESS experiencing an increase in engine temp?
Disagree with what? I didn't say I was not happy with it, I am. There just hasn't been any change since I have put some miles on it and let it "adapt". Onesixeight, the shifts, especially downshifts improved nicely. Don't worry about driving in the heat. I did 20 min straight on the track last weekend whipping the ponies to south Texas 100 degree heat. The max temp I saw on the gauge was the 3/4 mark. Just don't expect some crazy power increase. It will feel faster but it is mostly due to a more sensitive pedal, like a sprint power booster. I tested acceleration with a V-Box and got about a .10 gain.

Onesixeight...Buy the software, ultimately you will like it.

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
Like everyone has mentioned about all the benifits, everything is smooth here yet im not sure if my redline has been bumped to 8400. My engine cuts off at the original redline. One suggestion is that the tech meter isnt moving fast enough thus showing just 8250 where in fact it is 8400. I need to reconfirm at higher gears but this is my intial feeling about it.

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
Disagree with what? I didn't say I was not happy with it, I am. There just hasn't been any change since I have put some miles on it and let it "adapt". Onesixeight, the shifts, especially downshifts improved nicely. Don't worry about driving in the heat. I did 20 min straight on the track last weekend whipping the ponies to south Texas 100 degree heat. The max temp I saw on the gauge was the 3/4 mark. Just don't expect some crazy power increase. It will feel faster but it is mostly due to a more sensitive pedal, like a sprint power booster. I tested acceleration with a V-Box and got about a .10 gain.

I disagree witth the statement that all software is the same and you should just go with cheapeast. The rest of what you have written isn't entirely consistent with that statement either.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts

I´m thinking about doing this Software upgrade and just wanted to know if it´s worth it? What´s new and what do you get from it?

·
Registered
303 Posts
I have noticed that on a couple of occasions when really pushin my car, she started to run hot. I have the pulleys as well, but those were consistent in causing the car to run two neeedle widths hotter. an increase in engine temp?
im 100% sure the increase in engine temp is due to the pullies.... i have installed the same pully u got and noticed that the car ran hot all the time and somtimes the fans used to take a longer time to stop after switching the car off!!

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I hate to revisit the pulley argument, but for those that live in warmer climates, should on be concerned about under driving components like the A/C and other aux related items?

I haven't heard of any horror stories, other than people noting the car runs warm.

I guess, my question is, is the pulley worth the risk for the gains? And are the gains noticeable?

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
im 100% sure the increase in engine temp is due to the pullies.... i have installed the same pully u got and noticed that the car ran hot all the time and somtimes the fans used to take a longer time to stop after switching the car off!!
The thing is that I ran my car with the pulley for a while before getting the software and the car consistently ran about 20 degrees warmer . Butit was a constant 29 degrees -- it stayed at the same temp once it warmed up, never fluctuated. Now, it will start to run hotter wen I am really pushing it and then go back down when I mellow out for a bit. I don't know that it is realted to the software, but I did not experience this when I first installed the pulley.

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
If you choose ECU remapped just to get power, I don't think that worth. If drivability, yes. Shifting is much crispy but smooth and very instant. No lagging on downshift. With redline bump to 8400-8500, less chance you will hit the limiter. I still shift at 8200-8300, but with increase in rpm limiter, I barely bounced off the rev.

I test drove AA, Powerchip/Evosport, and ESS with similar mods on all the cars, they all benefit "drivability". Pick whatever you feel comfortable with like customer service, member feedback, warranty/reflash policy, etc.

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
644 Posts
Like everyone else as stated, the biggest improvement is the shifting, much better. As far as redline, I chose the 8400, our cars don't make much more power above 7800 anyway, I shift at 7700-7800..

SW

·
Registered
312 Posts
I have Active Autowerke tune. I love it. Like Andrew I noticed temperture change after install same. My butt Dyno also told me horsepower improved. I think Andrew and I are Dynoing on same day so I too can't wait to see. But as many have stated the shifting is soooooo much better. Starts no lag, no rev limiter, Shift points do have greater range on HUD, downshifts quicker just all around better. I say you have to get ECU flash. I haven't driven any others and would only rave about Actives flash. :applause:

·
Registered
312 Posts
One other thing GAS MILEAGE IMPROVED:eek: was averaging 12 now around 15:biggrinbounce:

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
What? I would do it for the MPG! J/K... but seriously

·
Registered
312 Posts
What? I would do it for the MPG! J/K... but seriously
I am dead serious. I couldn't believe myself but it has.:applause:

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
for those that live in warmer climates, should on be concerned about under driving components like the A/C and other aux related items?
No problems here. Everything is fine.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts