BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I recently had a small VANOS issue after installing the ESS software. I was one of the first to have my particular engine software upgraded by ESS so I was notsure if the new software was the root of the problem. It turns out the software was not the problem and I just needed a new VANOS pump. All is well.

I tested the ESS software using the Performance V-Box. Testing was done on the same stretch of road, same direction, same weight, and the same atmospheric conditions. I drove 500 spirited miles on the software before I conducted two separate tests, one in Power Mode and one in Performance Mode. The Power Mode test measured RWHP, which is a little high for an M5 not running headers, but the numbers remained consistent, which was what I was looking for. The Performance Mode test was carried out by accelerating from 30-115mph and 50-110mph. 30-115mph was used to minimize driver error by starting at the bottom of 2nd gear and ending at the top of 4th. 50-110mph was used because this was the only documented acceleration times I could locate (Dinan/Road&Track). This time was recorded simultaneously on the 30-115mph runs.

My average best RWHP number under same conditions was 459. This was an 8hp improvement over the before ESS tune test. My average gain accelerating from 30 to 115mph and from 50 to 110mph were both .10.

This is not the know all end all test by any means but it may provide some real world numbers that to my knowledge no one else has put up yet. I agree with other posters on the board with the smoother shifts, especially the downshifts. An increase in low-end torque although I cannot confirm this. I think some users are confusing low to mid torque increase with the improved throttle response. Pushing the throttle in by about a 1/4 makes the car really take off but it is not proportional to how much you push the throttle, meaning anything just after 1/2 throttle feels like WOT. Seems to work just like a Sprint Power Booster. I do like the 8500rpm option redline with me having the 3.91 for quarter mile racing.

All in all, for what the ESS upgrade does and the fact that you can get it for $1050, I would do it again.

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
Congrats on the beast. Glad your beast running strong after all the problem with VANOS been result. Good to know that the problem was not related to ESS ecu.

Enjoy,
:cheers:

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Just curious

I know this is not the optimal way to test performance, but did you record any 0-60 MPH times with your Performance Box?

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Nice times, thanks. 4.3 for me. Not sure how much my tires (Yokohama Advan Sports), launch technique, and Atlanta altitude have to do with it. PS2's are next once I wear these slippery tires out. We'll see...

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
459 rwhp is a nice number. Depending on what you use for drive train loss that is between 553 (assuming 17% loss) and 559 (assuming 18%) at the crank.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
459 rwhp is a nice number. Depending on what you use for drive train loss that is between 553 (assuming 17% loss) and 559 (assuming 18%) at the crank.
I don't think it is putting down that much. 460hp is what we have been seeing from members who have headers. But, my numbers were consistant before and after which was what I was after.

·
Registered
682 Posts
How many miles did you put on your car before you did you test?

ESS claims its takes around 500 miles to adjust and personally my car really opened up after that mark..

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
I placed the order and will install this software in a few weeks, I cant wait!!!

·
Registered
907 Posts
Great post......thanks for taking the time to gather this info.....

·
Registered
539 Posts
Thanks for following up on your VANOS issue.

I'd like to mention that although V-box testing is nice, it only shows a very small portion of the change software makes under varying conditions. It's much better to use a loaded dyno to see how nicely the torque management system runs over stock. And you will definitely see more than an 8whp gain with the software. Did you dyno before the install by chance?

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
I placed the order and will install this software in a few weeks, I cant wait!!!

Any chance you can do pre and post dynos? I should have but I had my head up my ***** at the time.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'd like to mention that although V-box testing is nice, it only shows a very small portion of the change software makes under varying conditions. It's much better to use a loaded dyno to see how nicely the torque management system runs over stock. And you will definitely see more than an 8whp gain with the software. Did you dyno before the install by chance?
I agree it is much better to use a loaded dyno. The problem was there is not a working one closer than 150 miles away. I used the RWHP feature just because it was available. I wanted to capture real world results with the V-Box and .10 is all I could get from the software. This .10 translates directly to about a 10 hp gain which everyone agrees is about all you can get from software alone. There hasn't been a single before and after performance test done on software gains that I could find. Members "butt dynos" don't cut it (throttle response is nice but can be deceiving) and there are too many variables between one car with software and one without. The software is good for everything it does, but no one should expect blowout performance.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts