BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks to everyone on the board for making it an easy decision to buy an ESS SC for the 2002 M5.

Just finished installing it yesterday and very excited to get through the break in miles. Already have 50 out of 200 today alone :)

I still have plenty to do between exhaust, suspension, headers which will happen across the coming weeks. My car is currently stock other than the ESS kit and a new clutch.

Asbjorn at ESS was extremely helpful in making it all happen at an excellent price!

I'll have the break in miles out of the way this weekend so anyone interested in driving it next week is more than welcome to. My office is in Middletown right between Dayton/Cincinnati. If you're going to come baby it though, don't bother, that's not what it was built for.

I haven't been above 4000rpm yet but I had to try it out a little. Cruising in 3rd at 60 and blipping it for 2 seconds was enough to get DSC flashing like crazy. Going to love it I'm sure :)

Next up, Rossion Q1 in July!

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
Welcome to the ranks of FI E39 M5 owners! After you've driven it a while and got everything sorted out, you'll wonder how you lived with out it.

--Ray

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
congrats on the new horsepower! Did you do the install yourself?

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
Reactions: MABM5

·
Registered
6,014 Posts

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Nice! I always figured if I went ESS I would do the 200 break in miles the day I got it installed. So I must ask - How can you sit here on a computer while a newly supercharged Beast sleeps in your garage?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone, I'm sure I'll love it once I can step on it.

The Rossion Q1 is an amazing machine for sure. I went and met Shane in FL and checked out the Rossion factory. Amazingly nice guy and very helpful. Got the entire history of the Noble to Rossion transition, new owner info, details on a few "storied cars" and some other general chat.

Checked out all the colors, saw how they came in the container 4 at a time and what they do from there in the FL factory.

Test driving one in about 2 weeks, he didn't have one available to let me drive that day due to pending sales. He made an insane offer to come to me on his way through to a show in Ohio and will be stopping at my office to let myself and my manager drive it. He still has a home in Cincinnati from his 1G racing days before moving to FL. Service doesn't get much better than that!

I'll be buying a used one, 2009 or 2010 model with 4-6K on it. Excellent price less than half of a fully built new one (with drivetrain).

From internet pictures and my initial thoughts I was truly worried about the interior feeling "kit car". Seeing them in person did away with that quickly. They have excellent fit and finish inside and dozens of seat options. If you're bigger than 200lbs you'll want the big man seat. At 240lbs the normal seat was not comfy but he is installing a free wider seat. I test it in another Rossion and it was greatly improved.

450HP twin turbo 0-60 in 3.1 and quarter in 11.8. 2650lbs, carbon fiber in the right places, and no heat soak issues like the previous Noble M400. Insanely cheap to repair based on the Ford Duratec V6. If the entire long block goes, who cares, costs less than $5K for a brand new one. I love the simplicity of repairs.

Very easy to get to 600HP for very little money, less than the ESS SC kit actually. Not that it's necessary when you're at that performance level already.

I'm going with the Sarthe Grey color with red leather/black alcantara interior. Very hard to decide between the traditional grey colors I love, or something flashy like their Viper Green. Torn but the police will give me less attention in the grey I think! All of my BMW's and Porsche are grey so I am a bit boring. My wife liked the Green better.

I test drove the Ferrari 430 while down in FL too, it was the only other car I was considering even though it's double the price at $130K. I definitely loved it, but at half the price I'm going with the Q1 and won't be sad. I love having a car that no one has and love the economy standpoint more than anything. Plus I'll avoid the outrageous Ferrari services, belt changes, etc.

Shane verified there are only 2 other Rossion Q1's anywhere near me in OH and that certainly appeals to me. Though I wont' really enjoy the attention so when folks ask if it's a modified Corvette, Ferrari, or Acura NSX I'll just say yep :)

Something very seductive about being able to kill all the Viper's and Ferrari's while spending as much as a new 550I. Kills them on the straights and in the corners, which is much more important to me.

Ramble ramble, sorry!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
blackxs - trust me, it's hard sitting here! We have rain coming and I just waxed the car, so not taking any chances. I'm planning on a long drive this weekend which should get me to 300 break in miles at least to be safe. From there on, I'll have my speeding ticket attorney on retainer for sure :)

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
Congrats on the ESS system, you will Love it.

One word.....

Timmayfest

·
Registered
5,908 Posts
The world needs more SC'd Titanium Silver E39's. Welcome to the club!:cheers:

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
congrats on the new horsepower! Did you do the install yourself?
Sorry for missing this earlier. One of my employees happens to be my cousin who is a 20yr master mechanic and he performed the clutch and SC install. I had an empty warehouse bay so he was able to do it there.

Thanks Kelster, Clemster and HavasuSteve. I'll definitely try to make Timmayfest and TiSi has always been my favorite. My last M5 that I regretted selling had the two tone black/grey seats, I think that's the only thing I miss on this new one. Otherwise it's the perfect car for me.

I'm now up to 139mi after 2 hours of driving tonight. I think I'll get the remaining 61 out of the way so that the weekend can be nothing but fun :wroom:

Without exceeding 4500rpms yet I can already tell it's going to be amazing. I never paid attention too much before but even after 2 hours of driving my oil temp is only 180 max and my engine temp doesn't even reach the half way mark.

Lots more to learn about this Beast now. I need to end up with a signature like Clemster and Steve!

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Congrats on the Uber upgrade!!!! any pics?:cheers:

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Congrats on the ESS S/C, I wanna hear about the Rossion!!!
Hey there. Just typed a very long PM only to be told I can't PM until I have 30 more posts! Send me an email and I'll rehash everything I just said about the Rossion :) Bryan at MABConstruction . com

·
Registered
102 Posts
Another "old timer" ESS S/C beneficiary welcomes you to our legion of smiling faces. Enjoy and keep us posted about your impressions!
Cheers,
Steve:applause:

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
Without jinxing you, before you open it up completely...I might suggest hooking up a Peake to ensure you dont have any "soft" codes like a darn E6.

I'm just saying...Best of luck and enjoy

·
Registered
499 Posts
Without jinxing you, before you open it up completely...I might suggest hooking up a Peake to ensure you dont have any "soft" codes like a darn E6.

I'm just saying...Best of luck and enjoy
Wise words Steve!
Allow me to add the following, if you haven't done this already, I strongly suggest you replace your fan clutch with a new one, also, you may want to start looking for an external oil cooler to help keep the temperature down on the beast, trust me, you will see your temps increase quite a bit during the summer. I remember when I was warned about the E6 code during my break in period and obviously I didn't have it yet because I had not driven the car at WOT yet. Guess what, the second I opened up the throttle, the car went into limp mode and sure enough, I had triggered the famous E6 code.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Geesh, between you and Havasu talk about raining on my parade!

On a serious note I appreciate the info. All good stuff I would not have known. I'm doing things a bit backwards unfortunately with just now learning more about the car. I am just now ordering a Peake scanner. I also just ordered all the suspension parts top to bottom. I plan to do many more items like that before truly getting into it. I enjoy reading the forums (searching) and learning new things.

Yesterday I ordered the Kenne Bell Boost a Pump after some research, seems like a solid idea.

Engine oil cooler I was also looking into but the only name I have seen so far is Motul and I know nothing else. Will do some more research and see if that's the best (or only) way to go.

These are all things my mechanic mentioned at the time too and we've bounced back and forth on many things.

My first step was doing all regular sensors, o2, etc and then moved on to all fluid flushes for diff, tranny, coolant, etc. 2 cycles of fresh 10-60 oil, etc.

We've made it as far as discussing meth injection but I'm not mechanically there yet in the need to do vs spending for nothing knowledge department.

I'm sure someone familiar with M5 could drive my car and recommend 10 things which I would welcome, but so far that's not happened so I'm learning slowly.

Thanks again guys for the wise words.

Wise words Steve!
Allow me to add the following, if you haven't done this already, I strongly suggest you replace your fan clutch with a new one, also, you may want to start looking for an external oil cooler to help keep the temperature down on the beast, trust me, you will see your temps increase quite a bit during the summer. I remember when I was warned about the E6 code during my break in period and obviously I didn't have it yet because I had not driven the car at WOT yet. Guess what, the second I opened up the throttle, the car went into limp mode and sure enough, I had triggered the famous E6 code.

·
Registered
410 Posts
The kits now come with beveled washers so if you had them installed correctly it shouldn't be an issue. But...even with the washers, I did need to tweak one of my TB levers slightly to ensure a peace of mind gap.

Have you tested your boost yet? An easy method until you get your permanent boost gauge is to go to the local parts store and get some tubing, a $40 autometer boos gauge and a plastic vacuum t, then run the gauge into the cabin with tube going out the hood into the passenger window. Ghetto I know, but at least you'll be able to see if you're making the correct boost after your break in. Or, you can just setup a pressure tester with the engine static, but this costs a little more and isn't quite as fun!

Took me a day and a half to break mine in. I didn't want to put all highway miles on mine, so I mixed it up with city/hwy. Just remember not to cruise at the same RPM on the highway.I was constantly shifting between 3rd-6th on the highway, varying RPM's and speeds.

Congrats on joining the fold!

·
Registered
499 Posts
Geesh, between you and Havasu talk about raining on my parade!

On a serious note I appreciate the info. All good stuff I would not have known. I'm doing things a bit backwards unfortunately with just now learning more about the car. I am just now ordering a Peake scanner. I also just ordered all the suspension parts top to bottom. I plan to do many more items like that before truly getting into it. I enjoy reading the forums (searching) and learning new things.

Yesterday I ordered the Kenne Bell Boost a Pump after some research, seems like a solid idea.

Engine oil cooler I was also looking into but the only name I have seen so far is Motul and I know nothing else. Will do some more research and see if that's the best (or only) way to go.

These are all things my mechanic mentioned at the time too and we've bounced back and forth on many things.

My first step was doing all regular sensors, o2, etc and then moved on to all fluid flushes for diff, tranny, coolant, etc. 2 cycles of fresh 10-60 oil, etc.

We've made it as far as discussing meth injection but I'm not mechanically there yet in the need to do vs spending for nothing knowledge department.

I'm sure someone familiar with M5 could drive my car and recommend 10 things which I would welcome, but so far that's not happened so I'm learning slowly.

Thanks again guys for the wise words.
Hey man, didn't mean to rain on your parade, just talking from personal experience!
Has anyone mentioned rod bearings yet? :grinyes:
Anyhow, welcome to the club! :happybirt:goldcup:kinggf

·
Registered
776 Posts
Welcome and enjoy the new HP!!

We all look forward to seeing a photo of the grin on your face when you finally pass break-in and have the pedal to the metal! Next you will want the 92mm pulley, Oil Cooler and Boost Cooler to really maximize the potential of the ESS kit. Headers are a must too! Enjoy amigo!!:cheers:

1 - 20 of 64 Posts