482 Posts

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
What 20" wheels are those?

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
As promised, The video's are up. We did three runs. 1st was with launch control second rolling from 40 and third was rolling from 50.

Enjoy

sorry for the low quality footage but at least its at day time :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_m_sXUjLxuM ( Launch Control)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LODebZG72Uw ( Rolling 40)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hc6bD8C55Bc ( Rolling 50)
Cool vids. r tuned what is your exact setup aside from the Ess s/w. Do you have the charcoal filters out? Stock air filters? is everything stock on your car but the Ess?

thanks for posting the vids that looked like a great road for the race.:applause:

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
Very interesting - particularly since I am sending ESS my ECU next week. Can you specify what mods you have and what was done to the "stock" M5. For instance, you have 20' wheels, is the other car still running the OEMs? Do you both have the charcoal filters out, etc.

The software seems to have made a bigger difference from a dig, which supprts the claims about torque management. That is great as this is defineitely the week spot for the M5.

·
Registered
7,354 Posts
Looks like the stock car has two people whereas the ESS car has just the driver?

BTW, now THAT'S a nice "empty" road. :)

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
We would like to know whats exactly on both cars cuz the ess tuned M5 has a sports muffler as well.

·
Registered
368 Posts
did you lift off on the launch control? thought I heard a lot more wheel spin than normal & also did both cars have the same rpm's for the launch?
Cars look great & that road :biggrinbounce:

·
Registered
915 Posts
very very nice videos... wheres this location?

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Silvergray M5 has the following mods:

- ESS Software @ 8400 RPM
- Tubi Rumore Mufflers only + stock sec.1 & 2
- Dinan suspension
- AC Schnitzer rear diffuser
- Vorsteiner rear spoiler with carbon fiber insert
- Factory smoked rear tail lights
- 20'' QD7

A. White M5 is completely stock. Zero mods.

Both cars are purchased from the middle east with gulf specs. Our cars dont come with charcoal filters. Launch control is also set to higher rpm.

When we did the launch control run there was more wheel spin than normal due to the 8400 RPM I had. By the way we both launched perfectly at the same time, and we both had the SMG transmission shift automatically from 1st to 2nd gear and then took the rest of the gears manually.

In regard to the number of passengers, we were equal. I had 1 and he had one. If you look closely in the rolling from 40 run you can spot my passenger head.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Very nice......good stuff. Thanks

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Nice videos, not sure the cars were lined up exactly, which gives the impression the ESS car is farther ahead then it actually would have been had the two cars started evenly. Just my observation.

Regardless, the Silver Grey looks absolutely beautiful with the wheels and exterior mods.

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
Nice videos, not sure the cars were lined up exactly, which gives the impression the ESS car is farther ahead then it actually would have been had the two cars started evenly. Just my observation.

True but it was only a fraction though. Deduct it and the ess M5 would have still pulled away like it did.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The launch control run he was a little in front of me. look at his mirror and my door sills ... By the way the road had a little slope which resulted in more wheel spin ..

at the end ESS came up with a good software map, i'v provided images and videos to prove it. I am 100% satisfied! the white m5 owner is still talking about how great the runs were.

m6 and f430 are hopefully next :)

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
True but it was only a fraction though. Deduct it and the ess M5 would have still pulled away like it did.
Remember, there are other things to consider:

1. Driver skill with the E60 M5

2. Who hit the gas pedal first

3. Engine power variances

Not trying to burst a bubble, just pointing out objective facts. It would be good to have seen a before video of the same cars running each other, also maybe a video where the car owners drive each other's car.

I did something similar and it changed the outcome of a tuned car versus a stock car. You might be surprised (and who knows...you might not).

Regards,

Darren

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
Cool, nice videos. They make the statement about the product.

Where in the heck is that awesome highway? Looks like the other side of the moon. I'd love to run on that road all day long.

Good demonstration.

M5Ranger...Juan

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Remember, there are other things to consider:

1. Driver skill with the E60 M5

2. Who hit the gas pedal first

3. Engine power variances

Not trying to burst a bubble, just pointing out objective facts. It would be good to have seen a before video of the same cars running each other, also maybe a video where the car owners drive each other's car.

I did something similar and it changed the outcome of a tuned car versus a stock car. You might be surprised (and who knows...you might not).

Regards,

Darren

You have a good point. Please feel free to discuss these video's.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
You have a good point. Please feel free to discuss these video's.
You might consider a Performance Box-- http://www.performancebox.co.uk/index.html or http://www.vboxusa.com/performancedrift/.

Many times I have been surprised at the variability in my acceleration times. Some can be explained by the ambient temp and humidity and launch technique. However, much of my variation is almost inexplicable, almost as if my car has a mind of its own. On the same day and same location with the same launch, my 10 MPH splits can be off as much as 0.2 seconds. I am talking about 10-20, 20-30, 30-40, 40-50,and 50-60 MPH times where launch should not make too much of a difference.

Reactions: 'Q
1 - 20 of 40 Posts