BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my ESS tune yesterday. Did the initial update last night. Would love to download the car's program today but unfortunately don't have a battery charger.

Has anyone done this step without one? When I do the final upload I will have access to one.

One of the downsides of selling my house now I have no DIY space.

Thanks

·
Registered
80 Posts
Could you be more specific ? I've order my ESS Flash loader today but I'm not aware of all the details in how to do the flash....:eek7:

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They will give you an instruction sheet. It does say to hook the car up to a battery charger while you uploading and downloading programs to the DME

·
Registered
80 Posts
Ok thanks, you can always contact the after-sales service of ESS, but I beliave that its the same thing when you're doing an update on your laptop computer and you get the message "please connect the battery charger before continue the update" .... its only to prevent that the power of the car battery goes down wile doing the flash....

·
Registered
116 Posts
It's a pre-caution, when something happens to the power supply during the flashing it might corrupt your ECU.
You can flash it if you're absolutely sure that your battery is 100% but I wouldn't take the risk personally.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Do not skimp out on getting a battery charger when performing any kind of reading/flashing with the ECU. You do not want to end up with a bricked ECU.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Looks weird to me to connect a battery charger while programming a car. I never did so, have never seen anybody doing so, have never heard of anybody who does so.
I really cannot see any reason, if your battery is more or less in normal shape, for it to fail while you are updating the ECU. Take into account that when doing so the car is not running, so there is almost no electrical consumption.
Even an almost dead battery would provide enough tension and amps to allow such operation.
I would at the contrary, avoid having a charger connected when updating, with the potential instability in can bring as far as voltage is concerned. It is recommended on such cars, to disconnect the battery from the car when you charge it, because the tension with a full battery charging can go up to 15/16V if a strong amp charger is used, with is a bit high for electronic equipments.
I would personally recommend you charge the battery completely one night before doing the upgrade, so you are sure it is full.

·
In Memoriam
2,398 Posts
Looks weird to me to connect a battery charger while programming a car. I never did so, have never seen anybody doing so, have never heard of anybody who does so.
I really cannot see any reason, if your battery is more or less in normal shape, for it to fail while you are updating the ECU. Take into account that when doing so the car is not running, so there is almost no electrical consumption.
Even an almost dead battery would provide enough tension and amps to allow such operation.
I would at the contrary, avoid having a charger connected when updating, with the potential instability in can bring as far as voltage is concerned. It is recommended on such cars, to disconnect the battery from the car when you charge it, because the tension with a full battery charging can go up to 15/16V if a strong amp charger is used, with is a bit high for electronic equipments.
I would personally recommend you charge the battery completely one night before doing the upgrade, so you are sure it is full.
Absolutely correct CoolCat.

I have two ESS tunes in my two Bmw cars. A stage II tune for the M6 and a stage I tune for the X1 2.8iXdrive.

As Coolcat correctly points out, it is only a precaution. The whole procedure of uploading the software to the Ecu lasts approximately

15-20 minutes. A well charged battery does not have any problem dealing with such a task, while a battery charger ( especially a

low cost - low quality one ), might create severe current instability with unknown consequences.

BTW ESS is one of the best, if not the best company for upgrading your car's ECU.

Straight forward people, exceptional service, tons of knowledge and experience, decades in the market.

Accurate and very friendly. I am dealing with Asbjorn Bohn and Roman, and I can say only the best things about them.

The whole procedure is simple. Using the Direct Flash device that ESS sends you, you read the software of your ECU and save it to

the DirectFlash unit. Then you go to your computer and you download the file that you saved to your computer.

Attach this file to an E-mail message and send it to ESS. Hours later, max one day, your new software arrives attached to an E-mail

message.

Reverse procedure and you are done. Allow your car to run for a few days in order to have a full adaptation of the new software.

That is all.

George:goldcup:

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
Have done th ESS tune on two M5's without hooking up a battery tender. You will be fine.. As others have said it is only a precaution. Also, I have seen many shops hookup to the ECU including BMW and I have not seen anyone hookup a battery tender while hooked into and up/down loading from the vehicles ECU.

Justfollowmth directions and what thenloader tells you and you will be fine.

The entire writing process takes less than 5 minutes.

Know what this means when the loader says:

"TURN ON THE DASHBOARD": Put key into ignition. Press start button twice so the dash lights go on (like engine check light)0/etc).

"TURN OFF THE DASHBOARD": Remove the key from ignition. Everything / all lights and electronics should be off.

*MAKE SURE THAT THROUGHOUT THE PROCESS YOU ARE -INSIDE- OF YOUR M5 -WITH- THE DOORS -CLOSED- AND NOBODY INCLUDING YOURSELF OPENS/CLOSES ANY OF THE CAR DOOR(S) AS THIS WILL TURN THE DASH OFF AND THEREFORE I WOULD THINK DISRUPT THE TUNING UP/DOWN LOAD PROCESS.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I've done my flash today with a charger within hand reach.
Downloading and uploading was done within 10 minutes so with a full battery, lights and AC off there's no need for a charger.
Don't get scared when your dash lights up like a Christmas tree during the upload, that's normal, it was fun to read all the messages on the I-drive I have never seen before :cool:.
If you are in NL come and visit our shop for a demo.

·
Registered
114 Posts
the directflash will take 5 minuets + - to download the file from your ecu and about the same time to upload it back, no problems.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Download complete

Just did the download, took 10 minutes, did it without the charger. Figured just downloading the info would be fairly safe. I think on the upload I will use the charger as that's when the new file is being installed.

Process was very, very easy.

Anyway, looking forward to getting the new tune. Maybe tomorrow!

Stay tuned hiha

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Leaving in 15 minutes for a 400 mile roundtrip. Will post impressions on return. Although in-laws will be in the back seat. May be driving a little less aggressively. :)

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
I wish I had time to take a long trip, I'm envious. Have fun!!

·
Registered
473 Posts
Just a word of caution, the bmw software will fail the upload if the battery voltage drops below, I believe 13v. So, if your batter is fully charged it should be fine, but make sure to close your door and don't have any accessories come on. The ESS read and write is very fast and their software is great. I love what it did to my car.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok, a few thoughts after the drive. 1-2 and 3-4 shifts seemed a bit smoother. When cruising at 50-70 miles an hour in 6th and 7th gear the car seemed much more responsive, throttle control was a lot better. I wasn't blown away with off the acceleration but that being said I had 3 other people in the car so I was carrying more weight. Gas mileage seemed the same.

Altogether I probably put on about 225 miles so it may take a little more time to break in.

One thing it didn't help was my thunky Transmission. I have to bring it in again for another SMG "re-learning" session. I think that's going to be a once a year thing.

I'm going to take it out again tomorrow by myself and really wring it out. I'm hoping Troopers taking a day off.

Keep you posted

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok, now I'm a true believer. The Beast is certifiably scary in every gear. I could swear I've cut 2/10s off my 0-60 time. The extra 15 lbs of torque can be felt, especially in the 3-5000 rpm range.

Verdict:.awesome mod. Now I think I have to upgrade my suspension to deal with this extra zip.

Kudos to ESS

1 - 18 of 18 Posts