BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ESS now offers a DIY option for S85 tuning.

Introducing the new Direct Flash OBD software tuning interface. ESS Direct Flash gives the end user a simple to use device that allows for self programming of our performance software. No longer will ECU removal and shipping be required to install or update the software in your vehicle. We will be offering a limited time introduction promotion for M5board members. Please visit the sponsors advertisement section for more info.

If you have any questions please feel free to ask.

Features Include:

100 % DIY operation with easy to follow instructions.

Easily store and switch between up to 10 tunes.

Instant access to stock and tuned files.

Updates and support via internet / email.

Software support for all US and Euro spec vehicles.

S85 dyno tested "stock"

For a full list of compatible vehicles please visit www.esstuning.com

·
Registered
462 Posts
I have the ESS/RPi tune on my car now and I'm very happy with it. Do you have a special tune for race fuel only?

·
Registered
165 Posts
Now I have no excuse. :eek:h:

·
Registered
6,353 Posts
I'm pickin a Dimsport MYGenius up from Autosport this friday!
I had met with them last year and there export dealer prices are way cheaper than what I have been offered!

I'm sick of tuners trying to milk us!

Reactions: Boogles1

·
Registered
160 Posts
What are the horsepower gains? I can't read the graph in this thread (it won't enlarge on my computer).

Also, I thought it was very hard to get more HP from a n/a engine (without the usual bolt ons).

How much gain would there be on a completely stock m5?

·
Registered
216 Posts
I don't mean to challenge the flash tunes and upgrades, in fact I am asking because I am very interested in this.

Why didn't BMW just allow the car to come tuned to the max with 520hp instead of 500? They know and understand this engine, they designed it and know in detail the power and compromises they can get from it. What component are they trying to protect by building this extra room for tolerance? Does this in the long run decrease the engine life for an average M5 engine?? I would like to keep my M5 for as long as possible, and I don't want to compromise the engine or some other component's reliability.

There have to be components and engine parts that are more strained when tuned. But I am sure it's still withing tolerance for most engines (in production all S85s cannot be exactly the same, my friend's M6 engine died and he never tuned or drove that car hard).

In a way I am asking because if I get this tune, maybe there is a recommended more frequent maintenance that could help reduce a chance of any problems (oil and filter changes at 7500 miles and fuel filter changes twice as often - or something like that)? I am also asking because the redline is moved to 8400. Are there really no side effects to revving to 8400 repeatedly? Why didn't BMW allow for this, just for marketing reasons 8400 or 8500 sounds a lot better than 8250.

What can be done to prevent bad things from happening?

My car is out of warranty, so I have to ask. I trust ESS to answer my questions well, a lot of my friends had great experiences with them. I believe they design their products with reliability and performance in mind. :)

·
Registered
550 Posts
I don't mean to challenge the flash tunes and upgrades, in fact I am asking because I am very interested in this.

Why didn't BMW just allow the car to come tuned to the max with 520hp instead of 500? They know and understand this engine, they designed it and know in detail the power and compromises they can get from it.
You answered your own question.

What component are they trying to protect by building this extra room for tolerance? Does this in the long run decrease the engine life for an average M5 engine?? I would like to keep my M5 for as long as possible, and I don't want to compromise the engine or some other component's reliability. There have to be components and engine parts that are more strained when tuned. But I am sure it's still withing tolerance for most engines (in production all S85s cannot be exactly the same, my friend's M6 engine died and he never tuned or drove that car hard).

In a way I am asking because if I get this tune, maybe there is a recommended more frequent maintenance that could help reduce a chance of any problems (oil and filter changes at 7500 miles and fuel filter changes twice as often - or something like that)? I am also asking because the redline is moved to 8400. Are there really no side effects to revving to 8400 repeatedly? Why didn't BMW allow for this, just for marketing reasons 8400 or 8500 sounds a lot better than 8250.

What can be done to prevent bad things from happening?

My car is out of warranty, so I have to ask. I trust ESS to answer my questions well, a lot of my friends had great experiences with them. I believe they design their products with reliability and performance in mind. :)
Every tune tweaks something different depending on the car and the characteristics of the motor from the factor, but in this case, the extra piston speed by revving to 8400rpms while better for acceleration and sound purposes, is worse for your engine in the long run, and will decrease longevity. BMW doesn't allow it from the factor likely to keep down warranty costs and improve the owner experience. BMW wouldn't want to get a bad rap for engines that don't last long enough. The 150rpm bump, isn't huge, and won't decrease your engine life by 50%, or probably even 10% (unless maybe your M was a hard core race car), but it along with the other modifications to your computer in general increase your exposure to some sort of failure. Many tunes also increase the timing, and lean out the air fuel ratio, which sometimes are overly safe from the factory. However, this might increase your chance of detonation, and possibly losing a motor. Every tuner is different, some willing to be more aggressive than others in an effort to gain more power on their tunes so they can tout theirs as best. As technology has gotten better, even things like valve timing gets played with in an effort to get the most out of our cars.

The biggest issue with a tune, is that our motors are VERY expensive. BMW dealers knows this, and are quick to cite any change to the car as the reason for a failure in the motor. We've seen a few people here have their warranty voided/engine repairs not made due to the cars revving over the 8250rpm redline. BMW's computers log information such as RPMs, etc, but for how long I don't know.

The risk is likely very low, but a low risk on a $40k motor is something to think about. ESS is a reputable tuner, who I would trust over most should I go this route.

That and they're local for me . :biggrinbounce:

All that said, BMW is likely looking at a few things. How much extra risk is there to BMW by having the extra power, and how much more could that cost BMW in maintenance/image vs. increased profit (from more sales or higher price) on our Ms due to having a faster car. They also have to leave some room for improvement on the next M5, and they also consider their competitors. At the time this car came out, I think the M was the horsepower king.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Apparently, BMW locks the ECU on cars that have recently had DME/software update by the dealer. I don't know how long this has been going on but it has been reported by E9x 335 and M3 owneres.

So my question is would this work on cars that have recently been to the dealer for software/DME update with potentially tuner-locked ECU? Thanks.

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
What is the price? I have an earlier tune from ESS. IS there a "step-up" price available?

·
Registered
416 Posts
Apparently, BMW locks the ECU on cars that have recently had DME/software update by the dealer. I don't know how long this has been going on but it has been reported by E9x 335 and M3 owneres.

So my question is would this work on cars that have recently been to the dealer for software/DME update with potentially tuner-locked ECU? Thanks.
Yes, works on all S85 M5/M6 and x35i N54 equipped cars as well as many others.

·
Registered
7,348 Posts
What are the 10 different tune options? I thought you guys only have two tunes for stage 1 and stage 2 to go with my RPI stage 2 mods. If you're offering other custom tunes, I had thought i read another post where you mentioned that the base tune that you have will adapt to any additional modifications so custom tunes like one for race gas wasn't needed. Maybe I misunderstood but would like clarification.

·
Registered
416 Posts
What are the 10 different tune options? I thought you guys only have two tunes for stage 1 and stage 2 to go with my RPI stage 2 mods. If you're offering other custom tunes, I had thought i read another post where you mentioned that the base tune that you have will adapt to any additional modifications so custom tunes like one for race gas wasn't needed. Maybe I misunderstood but would like clarification.
The DirectFlash unit can hold 10 different tunes, we do not offer 10 different off the shelf tunes.

We can however tailor software to special needs, and we just wanted people to know the unit is capable of holding more than 1 tune for future reference. It can easily be upgraded by email.

·
Registered
7,348 Posts
Thanks for the explanation. I'd still like to know if custom tune is needed to run race gas? Or what type of mods would require custom tunes. My mods are listed in my signature so let me know if you think any of those upgrades would require a revision to the stage 2 tune I already have.

·
Registered
462 Posts
+1

I already discussed this with Eloy, and he will see what he can come up with ESS to do a special race gas tune for our RPi stage 2 cars.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts