BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so we all know the 92mm pulley gets us about ~8lbs of boost. But without proper cooling the engine will pull timing and knock. So with the advice from a very smart man I have gone back to my 96mm pulley until my meth kit arrives.

But here is what I am wondering. Yes the 92mm pulley makes more boost and more power but does the 96mm pulley bring the power on slightly sooner due to the larger size?

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
No, just the opposite. The 92 will start building boost at a lower rpm because its spinning faster.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Okay so we all know the 92mm pulley gets us about ~8lbs of boost. But without proper cooling the engine will pull timing and knock. So with the advice from a very smart man I have gone back to my 96mm pulley until my meth kit arrives.

But here is what I am wondering. Yes the 92mm pulley makes more boost and more power but does the 96mm pulley bring the power on slightly sooner due to the larger size?
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:punctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0cm; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]-->
And you will need larger injectors and a tune too, watermeth will help reduce and elevate knock and cool the extra heat generated by the smaller pulley, but overall you need to get more fuel in there and with 315cc it isnt going to happen at top end. When i installed my bigger pulley even with 50/50 water meth it wasnt running right, it was knocking and it actually felt slower, or less smooth and linear throughout, did lots of dyno runs and remapped the ecu moved to 450cc and job done :) I know alot of people run with 315cc and bigger pulley but the s62 engine is very resilient to knock and it was only from moving back and forth from 96mm to 92mm and doing lots of dyno runs with monitoring AFR's EGT's and AIT's and other parameters that i found out what was going on. But very wise moving back to the 96mm, it will run alot cooler

·
Shill account for CNS Racing
435 Posts
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:punctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0cm; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]-->
And you will need larger injectors and a tune too, watermeth will help reduce and elevate knock and cool the extra heat generated by the smaller pulley, but overall you need to get more fuel in there and with 315cc it isnt going to happen at top end. When i installed my bigger pulley even with 50/50 water meth it wasnt running right, it was knocking and it actually felt slower, or less smooth and linear throughout, did lots of dyno runs and remapped the ecu moved to 450cc and job done :) I know alot of people run with 315cc and bigger pulley but the s62 engine is very resilient to knock and it was only from moving back and forth from 96mm to 92mm and doing lots of dyno runs with monitoring AFR's EGT's and AIT's and other parameters that i found out what was going on. But very wise moving back to the 96mm, it will run alot cooler
When you purchase the ESS 550 kit and request the 92mm upgrade what does ESS supply? 92mm pulley and tune only? What about the 450cc injectors? Do they have a tune for the 450cc injectors or only the 315cc?

·
Registered
488 Posts
When you purchase the ESS 550 kit and request the 92mm upgrade what does ESS supply? 92mm pulley and tune only? What about the 450cc injectors? Do they have a tune for the 450cc injectors or only the 315cc?
ESS sell the kit with the 96mm, if you request the 92mm with smaller belt it invalidates your warranty. They have only two tunes one with headers and one without, they do not have a tune for the larger pulley and they only supply 315cc injectors

·
435 Posts
ESS sell the kit with the 96mm, if you request the 92mm with smaller belt it invalidates your warranty. They have only two tunes one with headers and one without, they do not have a tune for the larger pulley and they only supply 315cc injectors
If you were going to do it all over again with ESS and want the most SAFE 500+whp what would you recommend?

·
Registered
410 Posts
If you are getting a water/meth kit, there's no need for larger injectors if you go with the 92mm pulley as long as you run at least a 50/50 mix by weight, not volume. A true 50/50 mix will make your A/F ratio run rich by ~1 pt.

For example, if you're running a 92mm pulley without meth inj and have an A/F ration of 13, with a 50/50 mix meth inj, it will drop to 12. more if you do a higher concentration of meth. Alot of people forget that 50/50 isn't just adding water for cooling, but also meth, which in itself is a fuel. People get thier cars all the time without the meth, then wonder why they lose power when they spray. It's because now thier tune is running rich.

I would recommend a larger capacity fuel pump, or at least a boost-a-pump application for additional safety.

·
Registered
488 Posts
If you were going to do it all over again with ESS and want the most SAFE 500+whp what would you recommend?
If i was going to do it all again then i would do the below:

1. Bigger injectors
2. 92mm Pulley
3. Custom tune
4. CCV Bypass
5. Silcione Hose Intake
6. CNC Plenum Plates
7. Intercooler
8. Watermeth spraying on and after intercooler
9. AIT Relocation too the intercooler after pipe to reduce heat soak
10. Overall better hose clamps and silicone pipes

The ESS kit is not a bad kit, but with anything us humans buy, we think of ways too improve and make the kit better and more safe

·
435 Posts
If you are getting a water/meth kit, there's no need for larger injectors if you go with the 92mm pulley as long as you run at least a 50/50 mix by weight, not volume. A true 50/50 mix will make your A/F ratio run rich by ~1 pt.

For example, if you're running a 92mm pulley without meth inj and have an A/F ration of 13, with a 50/50 mix meth inj, it will drop to 12. more if you do a higher concentration of meth. Alot of people forget that 50/50 isn't just adding water for cooling, but also meth, which in itself is a fuel. People get thier cars all the time without the meth, then wonder why they lose power when they spray. It's because now thier tune is running rich.

I would recommend a larger capacity fuel pump, or at least a boost-a-pump application for additional safety.
Why not install larger injectors and get it retuned by say Evolve? Maybe the meth would not be needed if the fuel levels are fine on 8 psi?

Installing a 92mm pulley on a 96mm tune wouldn't be ideal as it seems this is what folks getting the 92mm pulley are doing?

Maybe even getting the ESS 525 kit, add the 92mm pulley, meth 50/50, 450cc injectors and a new Evolve tune?

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Why not install larger injectors and get it retuned by say Evolve? Maybe the meth would not be needed if the fuel levels are fine on 8 psi?

Installing a 92mm pulley on a 96mm tune wouldn't be ideal as it seems this is what folks getting the 92mm pulley are doing?

Maybe even getting the ESS 525 kit, add the 92mm pulley, meth 50/50, 450cc injectors and a new Evolve tune?
I looked into doing just that... Bigger injectors and a new tune. Unfortunately, Sal felt it was not ethical to custom tune a rival kit. I do not really agree with him, but he is a great guy and is entitled to his opinion.

So it is not as easy to just "get a remap" as it sounds

·
Registered
12,768 Posts

According to ESS, the tune is somewhat adaptive, so it wil adapt to the 92mm pulley. There is also a meth tune available from ESS, although I chose not to go that way as I use the meth as more of an intercooler than a power adder.

With my boost a pump and meth injection I don't think I need bigger injectors, but with the ESS tune I would guess the 450's would be too big. Just a guess. Stock is 265, ESS is 315. 450 is a huge jump.

Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
410 Posts
If i was going to do it all again then i would do the below:

1. Bigger injectors
2. 92mm Pulley
3. Custom tune
4. CCV Bypass
5. Silcione Hose Intake
6. CNC Plenum Plates
7. Intercooler
8. Watermeth spraying on and after intercooler
9. AIT Relocation too the intercooler after pipe to reduce heat soak
10. Overall better hose clamps and silicone pipes

The ESS kit is not a bad kit, but with anything us humans buy, we think of ways too improve and make the kit better and more safe

I wouldn't have to do it all again, ESS is doing that for me.
From thier post: http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e39-m5-e52-z8-discussion/198733-ess-e39-m5-supercharger-update-preview.html

We have been very busy this year working on releasing the new E6X M5/M6 supercharger systems but we have not forgot about the E39 community. For the past 6 months we have been working on several upgrades and additions for our E39 kits behind the scenes. here is a quick break down of the products and options that are available now and coming very soon.

VT2 intercooled supercharger system:

We have developed and are in the final stages of testing on our new intercooled VT2 system. This will be a higher boost version of our current VT1 systems that will include our exclusive air / water cooling system. This system will be available as a stand alone system and an optional upgrade kit for our current VT1 customers. ETA on this product is March 2012. We will post specs and pricing on this system very soon.

VT1 performance upgrade:

For customers who want to add water / meth to our VT1 kits we will be offering a performance package upgrade. This kit will include a new belt and pulley for higher boost, high capacity injectors, fuel pressure system upgrade and upgraded software. pricing and details will be posted very soon.

So they will have an intercooler setup as well as a fuel delivery system/tune available soon.

·
435 Posts
I wouldn't have to do it all again, ESS is doing that for me.
From thier post: http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e39-m5-e52-z8-discussion/198733-ess-e39-m5-supercharger-update-preview.html

We have been very busy this year working on releasing the new E6X M5/M6 supercharger systems but we have not forgot about the E39 community. For the past 6 months we have been working on several upgrades and additions for our E39 kits behind the scenes. here is a quick break down of the products and options that are available now and coming very soon.

VT2 intercooled supercharger system:

We have developed and are in the final stages of testing on our new intercooled VT2 system. This will be a higher boost version of our current VT1 systems that will include our exclusive air / water cooling system. This system will be available as a stand alone system and an optional upgrade kit for our current VT1 customers. ETA on this product is March 2012. We will post specs and pricing on this system very soon.

VT1 performance upgrade:

For customers who want to add water / meth to our VT1 kits we will be offering a performance package upgrade. This kit will include a new belt and pulley for higher boost, high capacity injectors, fuel pressure system upgrade and upgraded software. pricing and details will be posted very soon.

So they will have an intercooler setup as well as a fuel delivery system/tune available soon.
I guess I will wait for the ESS VT2 and VT1 upgrade releases! And then compare it to the RK stage 2 kit. The RK and ESS kits are max 450-475whp as I am looking for 500whp+ to be able to smoke Z06's :haha:

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
I guess I will wait for the ESS VT2 and VT1 upgrade releases! And then compare it to the RK stage 2 kit. The RK and ESS kits are max 450-475whp as I am looking for 500whp+ to be able to smoke Z06's :haha:
ESS Kits are already making 500whp+ :thumbsup:

·
Registered
5,663 Posts
And you'll need a lot more than that to smoke a Z06. Unless he meant the C5....:)

·
435 Posts
not by much? what is the highest whp on a 550 or 570 kit(no internal engine mods)? I think I saw a 510whp dyno with meth?

·
Registered
300 Posts
How does dinan get 625hp out of their kit and ESS can't

Just curious guys. Any inputs.

Rallistas

·
Registered
410 Posts
not by much? what is the highest whp on a 550 or 570 kit(no internal engine mods)? I think I saw a 510whp dyno with meth?
549 WHP is highest so far with dyno.

And if you wanna beat C6 Z06's, just tell him you'll race with 3-4 peeps in each car.

·
Registered
5,663 Posts
How does dinan get 625hp out of their kit and ESS can't

Just curious guys. Any inputs.

Rallistas
Dinan includes 4-2-1 headers, larger throttle bodies and intercooler with the S3.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
About this Discussion
27 Replies
14 Participants
Silent
BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums
M5Board is the best forum community for information on the BMW M5 E60 (V-10), E39 (V-8), E34 (straight 6), E28, F90 and F10. Discuss performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing