BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys and girls

hope all is well?

Did a scan on my car the other day and the following code came up, P2B59, any ideas what it relates too?

Ps i recently changed my MAFs after loosely finding a BMW Mini forum where the code related to MAFs, code vanised for a week but its back now. Throttle response is loads better and MPG has picked up and gained ~5mpg on journeys so i guess i needed new MAFs anyway, but yeah, this code remains!

Please help :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Not that it needs to be :) but I can confirm Jim's findings.

Mainly because I just had this same code come up for me last month and it involved changing the thermostat, part number 7 in the picture.

Link to realoem page, Link

I got my mechanic to change it because I currently don't have the time, but apparently it's not that difficult but requires removing the intake plenum.

Apparent when it fails it stays open and therefore the engine takes a lot more time than normal to warm up. Because the engine is running cool it causes the DME to use more fuel, at least this is what it was doing in my case. I went from 23L per 100km back down to 16L per 100km once the thermostat was replaced, plus the engine warmed up to operating temp in about 8 minutes instead of 15.

If you haven't done it recently then I would also suggest changing your spark plugs while you have the plenum off.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Cheers guys ill look into it

Will check the secret menus for coolant, what temp should they be getting to and how soon?

MPG has improved recently due to new MAFS and i cant see it getting better so i dont think its too major on mine just yet? Noticed the drop on my 330d when t/stat was dying but not on this one.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Car whines a tiny bit under heavy load only in M mode. This along with the code. Could my waterpump be on its last legs?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts