BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys ive had an issue where the windows wont automatically go down but they will up, also the comfort steering wheel where it lifts it up and retracts has stopped working when you open the door or get out, it works fine manually.

Ive had the car in the shop to look for error codes and the error code he got back was 000004 GM (GM must be general module?) but what does the error code indicate? ive tried a search online and ofc nothing shows up. Tried on the forums here too and nothing. Seems im the first here at least to get this code, any help would be greatly apreciated.

Regards Peter.

·
Registered
10,557 Posts
but there are 100 different results, so it doesnt help any
There is really only 2 that apply. There are 10 or more for different GM modules but some are for different cars. and any that say transfer mode can be ignored. They are a reminder to the dealer to get the car out of transport mode. I am pretty sure we run a ZKE3 - GM3 for the General module. Since there is no filter for our cars(that site is for newer cars) you have to search all then go down under ECU variant and look for the line that applies to our model.
There is not one because again that site is geared for newer cars but you will get a hint because there are a few other ZKE3s listed and the code is the same. Terminal R fault.
Unfortunately that is a pretty common code and can be triggered by shorting the boot cycle. Slapping the key in and going straight to start. That move can short the boot cycle and throw that code, and we all do that every once and a while. Since you likely don't know if codes have ever been cleared for that module, it could also be the general code "transport mode active" if the dealer did something when he first got the car.
At minimum you need to clear that code and see if it comes back before you try and correct it, because it may not need correcting.
Termanel R is related to a lot more than just those two items you are chasing, if you really had a fault I would think you would have more things messed up.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There is really only 2 that apply. There are 10 or more for different GM modules but some are for different cars. and any that say transfer mode can be ignored. They are a reminder to the dealer to get the car out of transport mode. I am pretty sure we run a ZKE3 - GM3 for the General module. Since there is no filter for our cars(that site is for newer cars) you have to search all then go down under ECU variant and look for the line that applies to our model.
There is not one because again that site is geared for newer cars but you will get a hint because there are a few other ZKE3s listed and the code is the same. Terminal R fault.
Unfortunately that is a pretty common code and can be triggered by shorting the boot cycle. Slapping the key in and going straight to start. That move can short the boot cycle and throw that code, and we all do that every once and a while. Since you likely don't know if codes have ever been cleared for that module, it could also be the general code "transport mode active" if the dealer did something when he first got the car.
At minimum you need to clear that code and see if it comes back before you try and correct it, because it may not need correcting.
Termanel R is related to a lot more than just those two items you are chasing, if you really had a fault I would think you would have more things messed up.
Thank you for your detailed reply.
So in short i should get the garage to clear the code, and hope for the best? I dont know if they have tried to clear it, but i will check tomorrow. And there is a boot cycle? i usually wait for the abs lights to go out and then start, but maybe i did whip the key all the way round.
If wiping the code fails to do anything what would be the next step? can the module lose power? i have a boost gauge fitted and it doesnt light up anymore and that stopped working the same time as the windows and the steering wheel did. I was thinking it was a fuse from the start.

·
Registered
10,557 Posts
So in short i should get the garage to clear the code, and hope for the best?
If that code is a current fault and having something to do with your windows and column, then it will come back right away. Clear the code start the car and try the window, then shut the car off which should trigger the steering column error. Turn the key back to 2 and read the codes. If the code is present it might have something to do with your issue, but the likely only fix is the module will have to be removed and sent out. It is just a bunch of circuit boards and that is like Greek to most shops and users.
As far as the boot cycle, the point is unless the code has been cleared, you don't know if once in the life of the car the cycle was not completed properly. A dead battery could be another way it shorts the cycle, there are tons of different things, I just gave you 1 example. It is nothing you want to try and avoid either, because with any diag and code reading you clear the code and see what comes back, step 1.
Have you found where that gauge is hooked up to yet? As I said to you in your other thread, you need to figure out that in case it was hooked to something it should not be.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If that code is a current fault and having something to do with your windows and column, then it will come back right away. Clear the code start the car and try the window, then shut the car off which should trigger the steering column error. Turn the key back to 2 and read the codes. If the code is present it might have something to do with your issue, but the likely only fix is the module will have to be removed and sent out. It is just a bunch of circuit boards and that is like Greek to most shops and users.
As far as the boot cycle, the point is unless the code has been cleared, you don't know if once in the life of the car the cycle was not completed properly. A dead battery could be another way it shorts the cycle, there are tons of different things, I just gave you 1 example. It is nothing you want to try and avoid either, because with any diag and code reading you clear the code and see what comes back, step 1.
Have you found where that gauge is hooked up to yet? As I said to you in your other thread, you need to figure out that in case it was hooked to something it should not be.
Ill have a look, and ill ask the shop tomorrow if they cleared it etc. and ill yank out the dial and see where it leads. ill get back to you. Thanks again, much apreciated.

·
Registered
10,557 Posts
Ill have a look, and ill ask the shop tomorrow if they cleared it etc. and ill yank out the dial and see where it leads. ill get back to you.
Also try a different key if you have one. IIRC it has to be a real driver key not a wallet or valet key but if that is all you have I would try the just in case. Does your shop have no idea what is going on?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Also try a different key if you have one. IIRC it has to be a real driver key not a wallet or valet key but if that is all you have I would try the just in case. Does your shop have no idea what is going on?
Nope the've never seen the error code before and they have sent it off for answers, so i just wait and see what comes back. And ill try the spare key tomorrow, i did swap from the original to the spare to start with because the key had a low battery, but now ive replaced both batterys ages ago but never switch back. Ill update you in a few hours.

·
Registered
10,557 Posts
Ill update you
We do have an IKE3 - GM3 in the M5, I found some confirmation searching for something else. This document might help you. I could explain what I read but it is just better to give you the document and let you read it. Definitely read the key function sections but there is also some stuff about the two problems you are having, not specifically but in general.

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
We do have an IKE3 - GM3 in the M5, I found some confirmation searching for something else. This document might help you. I could explain what I read but it is just better to give you the document and let you read it. Definitely read the key function sections but there is also some stuff about the two problems you are having, not specifically but in general.
Awesome ill have a look over it. Also the garage said they tried to clear it but it failed and they had an answer from the people about the 000004 code they said and i quote "check the wiring" not where or anything. With about 300 miles of wiring and cables etc. i have absolutly no idea. but ill check the socket under the seat tomorrow and pull out the ZKEIII and see if anything is loose.

Thanks for the help much apreciated <3

1 - 11 of 11 Posts