BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Company Representative for Valley Motorwerks
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I bought my M5 a month or so ago and knew that the headlamps were not factory original. The HID lamp assemblies were added at the dealership post delivery. The AE's were always a little yellow/brown I checkd for voltage at the bulbs and I was getting a full 12 volts so I swapped out the bulbs for the Umnitza V3 bulbs... upon installation they were a tiny bit brighter but the color didn't change much at all. I went on to more important things then revisited them today.

A shout out to Matt at Umnitza for the email troubleshooting help late last night!

As delivered:

Predator V3 (inside the shop they look much brighter):

I would angle the bulb in the socket and they would brighten up, odd. I grabbed a mirror and flashlight to check things out, here's what I saw:

What I took out, someone placed blue film over the light collector inside the assembly, it of course melted causing the odd coloration.

Now this is MUCH better!!

·
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Blue film? Previous owner tried to make the AEs look "LED blue" on the cheap?
I'm sure it was 2 owner's ago, the folks I bought it from were not the type to mess about. What the guy got was not LED blue but burnt sheit brown/yellow!!

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
I never noticed your AW is very clean like this. I like..:biggrin:

·
Registered
6,940 Posts
I'm surprised you got it all out. What a horrible thing to find done to your car. No telling what ELSE was rigged like that. Yikes!

·
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm surprised you got it all out. What a horrible thing to find done to your car. No telling what ELSE was rigged like that. Yikes!
Yeah it took some digging... I was so surprised since the car was basically stock except for a very well installed xm system and SS mufflers. So far so good though... The rest of the car is pretty brilliant.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Wow, that's ridiculous.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Feel your pain, I was replacing my Fogs to HID yesterday and found out previous owner had the wires connected to the bulb directly, no adaptor in between, geez, so now I'm looking for a set of adaptors. Funny what some ppl will try and get by with.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Damn, that blue tape is a good idea :D

Seriously, this kinda reminds me of when I took the medicine cabinet out of my master bathroom a few years ago. The builder had left a half-finished can of Coke between the drywall. And I wondered why I always had so many ants in there. Lazy people for the loss.

·
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Damn, that blue tape is a good idea :D

Seriously, this kinda reminds me of when I took the medicine cabinet out of my master bathroom a few years ago. The builder had left a half-finished can of Coke between the drywall. And I wondered why I always had so many ants in there. Lazy people for the loss.

Yeah I'd prefer to find a wad of cash.. I'm just saying :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts