BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I came across this site when looking for an E39:

Enthusiast Auto: Main

Seems like they have the nicest and lowest mileage E39's of any place in the country. Seems like a quality place that prides themselves on selling the best E39's out there. Is it really worth spending as much as $33K for one through them?

·
Registered
113 Posts
just got my e39 m5 (jet black '02 dinan s2). very happy with the transaction so far. traded in my e36 m3. read what i said in their testimonial section--sums up my sentiments (especially with respect to the pricing, which is, for the most part, fixed). my entry should be at the top or very near it. feel free to PM me with any specific questions you have.

·
Registered
6,940 Posts

·
4,395 Posts
they're known on the board - there was a discussion a while back about them profiting on clean M5s

i personally would be careful - there's been at least 2 cars that i was interested in that where misrepresented as ALL - ORIGINAL

one was questionably missing belly pans the other was damaged and admitted by the owner on here but not on the ad - when asked enthusiast auto and the previous owners both had different stories
(3 total: 1- from EAG, 2- from the board member)

whether their cars now are as described, that didn't stop them from omitting one or two things

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/sale-wanted/151254-2003-e39-m5-59k-sale.html
Enthusiast Auto: What Our Customers Say About Us

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/sale-wanted/150455-sale-2003-m5-51-000-miles-carbon-black.html

·
Registered
162 Posts
It looks like they have quality cars, but they seem a little pricey :dunno:

·
Registered
3,968 Posts
yeah their prices are very high, not worth it imo. that place stays in business for the most part by people to whom money is not an object.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
I bought the car noted in post 5 and have also contributed to Eric's testimonial page. This by far was the cleanest, nicest used car I have bought and I wish there were more dealers like Eric and his team out there. Those of you in the Cincinnati area are fortuneate to have this resource so close. Oh and BTW money was an object at least for me thats why I bought from EAG.

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
I came across this site when looking for an E39:

Enthusiast Auto: Main

Seems like they have the nicest and lowest mileage E39's of any place in the country. Seems like a quality place that prides themselves on selling the best E39's out there. Is it really worth spending as much as $33K for one through them?
Are you sure a long standing board member didn't point them out to you and told you that you need pay to play :haha: Honesty is the best policy.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Man you start a lot of threads about info that can all be found in the frequently asked guide.......

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e3...34-e39-m5-frequently-asked-questions-faq.html

While I won't argue that the OP has made quite a few repetitive threads in his search for an M5, there doesn't appear to be anything in the FAQ about EAG.

That doesn't mean a search of the board for them would not have turned up results, as it has been discussed before & they are a board sponsor.

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
Is it really worth spending as much as $33K for one through them?
Haven't you already unequivocally stated that YOU will not spend that kind of money? " Not even $26k" I think was your comment.

In due time you will find THE one owner dumping THE perfect car...it may be a week, a month, 6 months or one year. Time will deliver what you need. Dealers do not have a leg up on a dedicated buyer... you can find the cars they are going to be selling, it just takes a while. You missed the two EAG snapped up here.

Posting weekly or daily about this will not speed it up- you've defined your parameters, now just wait.

·
Registered
6,940 Posts
While I won't argue that the OP has made quite a few repetitive threads in his search for an M5, there doesn't appear to be anything in the FAQ about EAG.

That doesn't mean a search of the board for them would not have turned up results, as it has been discussed before & they are a board sponsor.
Every thread he starts is about this car, that car, is it worth the money, blah blah blah. I wasn't referring to EAG, just his general quest for a car. The information in the fact guide should lead him to understand WHY a car is worth that much..... mileage vs records vs accident history vs board member etc.....

·
Registered
688 Posts
Im sure this topic has been beaten into the ground but i'll give my two cents on the matter either way. EAG started just out just like most of us, enthusiasts who love bmw's. M3's M5's, rare Z's, you name it. They get their kicks from uber clean low mileage all known history garage kept never modified M's (hey, who wouldn't?). My father always told me, do something you love, and it'll never feel like work, and that's exactly what they do.

In this day and age, buying a car (especially a performance car with MANY known maint issues like the e39 m5) can be pretty stressful. Sure you can may be able to get on craigslist and find a 'clean looking' m5 for a good deal, but you have NO IDEA what you are getting into. For the record, I just got on craigslist and got a "clean" 04 mazda 6 wagon, only to find out weeks later it had oil issues, and was a "ticking time bomb". LET ME TELL YOU HOW FUN THAT WAS, and I thought I was saving a buck. Now that's just a mazda, imagine a prissy e39 m5. You don't know if the clutch is bad, if the brakes are toast, if the rear sway bar links have been broken all its life, if the dif is leaking, if the owner never changed the oil, if the control arms have never been replaced. Personally, I'd rather pay a few more dollars, have someone WHO KNOWS THESE CARS look it over (not just Chet from Chet's Auto Service), then if anything needs to be replaced, have a certified master tech do the repairs (FOR LESS THAN THE DEALER?) while some ENTHUSIAST (not some hoity toity salesman who's pissed your bringing a 10 year old car to the dealer) gives you legit advice that you'd expect from any of your friends, and how they would handle it if were their car : "I'd replace this, and if you were really anal, this...may wanna keep an eye on this...this isn't a big deal...you can find this online used somewhere cheaper than I would pay for it new" <-- this is SERIOUSLY how EAG works. they are not out to screw you, they are out to make you a lifetime customer. I know for a fact that most of their inventory is repeat customers, people coming in trading in cars on something new or something different. Obviously people enjoy doing business with them or this wouldn't be the case...

...spoken from someone who has purchased a 540i/6 and an M5 from them, yet they still treat me the same as the guy who drops 5k a month in goodies for his track car. and for the record, i purchased both of these cars cheaper (with less miles AND in better shape) than I could find on the m5board, bimmerforums, craigslist, autotrader, and all those other nerdy sites.

hope this helps you out OP.

·
Registered
113 Posts
they are out to make you a lifetime customer. I know for a fact that most of their inventory is repeat customers, people coming in trading in cars on something new or something different. Obviously people enjoy doing business with them or this wouldn't be the case...
this...if a schmuck gives you a car that looks pretty on "the lot" and drives off fine and dandy but you eventually notice one of the panels was bonded and painted and the thing breaks in half the next week, are you going to want to go back and do business with them, again, regardless of how "nice" they were and what a "good deal" you got? no...eric personally drove my m5 back home, at the end of the day, for a couple of nights in a row, to make sure that day's work on it preformed as it should. on one of those nights he got the clutch to slip and bit and decided to "throw in" a brand new clutch kit to make sure it would be solid before i drove it away. above and beyond...hoping i get some kickbacks from them if they spot these plugs :hihi:

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
eric personally drove my m5 back home, at the end of the day, for a couple of nights in a row, to make sure that day's work on it preformed as it should. on one of those nights he got the clutch to slip and bit and decided to "throw in" a brand new clutch kit to make sure it would be solid before i drove it away.
Who the heck is Eric?

Hey, anyone reading this, remember: despite how wonderful a dealer or seller is, these are old used cars we are talking about, and things go bad. And sometimes they happen without warning. Anyone buying any used car, even a Mazda, should spend a few hundred bucks and get it independently inspected and then even with a clean bill of health, should budget some money for future repairs.

I'm glad EAG has some happy customers, that's good to know. But it's no guarantee that the next car they sell has a history that even they did not know of.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
They are buying cars just like we are but maybe have a few more resources such as BMW dealers that may sell to him right from trade in. They more than likely are all over this board, craigslist, autotrader, and cars.com looking for cars that meet their criteria for a resale.

There are plenty of good BMW service centers in my area of Northern, VA that know these cars very well. Taking a potential clean and well cared for car to one of these places for a rigid PPI and potentially paying to have everything found fixed is not that much different than buying from EAG. I don't want to question their reputation as it is very good but I would rather have someone looking at my car for potential issues than the one selling it to me if that makes sense?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Seems to me that there are two ends of the spectrum -on the high end, you can pay top dollar for a car that is completely sorted by a reputable entity (EAG seems to fit this model). Your extra cash buys peace of mind, and hopefully some degree of recourse in the event of an unexpected issue. The other end of the spectrum is to buy a car for less $ and sort it yourself (either DIY or by paying to have stuff done). You may be able to give yourself enough peace of mind knowing "I replaced the clutch, sensors, hoses, fluids, brakes, seals, tensioners, rod bearings or whatever else would otherwise cause you to worry. If you plan on using your car, things will wear out or break - this happens on all machines, new or old. So, in a sense you are balancing your discomfort at spending money now against your discomfort at not knowing when/how much money you will spend later. The spread seems to be about $15K-20K from the typical mileage earlier MYs to the really low mileage "perfect" examples - each will find their own comfort zone somewhere in the midst.

Also - I haven't seen this mentioned on the board (and apologies if it was already beaten to *****), but:
One of the common problems with exotic cars, Ferraris being the make I'm most familiar with, is that you see a lot of cars that look perfect, but because they have only been driven 10K miles over 20-30 years, hoses, seals, cam belts/tensioners, dust boots, etc all tend to rot and cause expensive maintenance. Sometimes, it seems that the cars driven regularly are a lot less troublesome in that regard...

·
Registered
113 Posts
Who the heck is Eric?

Hey, anyone reading this, remember: despite how wonderful a dealer or seller is, these are old used cars we are talking about, and things go bad. And sometimes they happen without warning. Anyone buying any used car, even a Mazda, should spend a few hundred bucks and get it independently inspected and then even with a clean bill of health, should budget some money for future repairs.

I'm glad EAG has some happy customers, that's good to know. But it's no guarantee that the next car they sell has a history that even they did not know of.
Eric and his brother, Evan, are the owners of EAG. as far as the rest of your post: of course.

·
Registered
4,671 Posts
FWIW I have met them and would do business with them if they had something I wanted. Eric is a very good business man (I dont know Evan at all, apologies Evan) and knows how to put out a good product. He is also not shy in asking for a premium for that product. His right as a business man and he stand behind his work.

If it helps and if anyone reads this in the future, I am more than willing to test drive anything they have for any board member. (for a Subway gift car... IM KIDDING!!) I have done this twice and 1 of the 2 times, there was an issue in the car I found and Eric fixed it right away and the member ended up buying the car. I lost touch with the second situation.

Anyway point is if anyone wants me to lay eyes and hands on something there hit me up.

Reactions: 5 guy
1 - 20 of 78 Posts