BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I had my M5 E60 in for a full conditioning at a professional place. This treatment included an engine wash and detailing.

The attached pictures are from after I got it back.
The white oxide on the aluminium, should I expect that they would have removed that you think?
They have sprayed some kind of product over all the plastic and other things, I guess for it to look more shiny. Should this be wet and very spotty?

Attachments

·
Registered
48 Posts
The wet and spotty marks is over spray of the product they used to "dress" the plastic after the cleaning, you should wipe this up, as depending on the product it may take awhile to dissipate and can eventually leave spots similar to water spots. The white etching is a chemical reaction from something like a strong degreaser, road salt, or high exposure to corrosion like living near the ocean, hard telling, as far as the detailer removing this during a cleaning, it would be highly unlikely, unless you are paying a premium for this service.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I think that would fall well outside the scope of even a high end detailing job.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the answers, helped a lot to know what to expect!
Will try to wipe and clean the plastics to make it look better.

Any tips for removing the white oxide (or whatever it is). When I just rub my fingers on it it grinds down to a white powder, so just scrub and water?

·
Registered
44 Posts
It's going to be hard to get rid of the white etching corrosion. I had a sti awhile back and the alternator and other pieces had it on there. It bugged me so I just replaced them with new. I tried cleaning it but everything I used didn't get it to look like I wanted it to look.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I know some of the guys have used scrubbing bubbles, yes the bathroom cleaning solution, i haven't tried it on my M5 yet, but I have used it in the past and it did help with the oxide build up, but didn't solve it. If it bothers you enough, you can spend the time cleaning it manually yourself or, like RichWVU pointed out, this would be well beyond the normal scope of a detailer, but some will do it, specifically those who do show cars, it will just cost big $$$.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Yes, Scrubbing Bubbles!!!

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Yes, Scrubbing Bubbles!!!
Scrubbing Bubbles for the win.

This is after bubbles, rinse and a quick dry with a microfiber towel. By the way, I only have 182,000 miles on the car and this was the first cleaning after a 6,xxx mile road trip.

Attachments

·
Registered
416 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts