BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
I'm extremely happy with my Powerchip tune. Matt has a real love for our E39 M5s as well as fellow forum members.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
M555,
So what was the basis for your decision to go with powerchip vs something else?

Regarding your carbon interior wrap..Did you go with the 3M product?

My VMR wheels showed up yesterday. They are sweet & the gunmetal color is going to look great with the carbon black. Everything is coming together with this makeover....SS header should arrive in the next week or so.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey Loather,
See that you are from Sac....I have Valley Motorwerks in Rancho Cordova doing all of my work for me....great shop if you haven't been to them.

Are you running a CAI & standard MAF?

·
Registered
506 Posts
Hi Steven,

I know Valley quite well. I've known the owner for 6 years now (we met up to swap grilles back when we were both driving 330 coupes before he left to start VM) and 100% agree that they are a great shop. You're driving all the way up from SLO or you spend time in this area as well?

I have the Active Autowerkes Cold Air Intake and use standard MAFs. I had been running a DA tune, but I asked Matt from Powerchip to check the data from my ECU and he told me they were running the car VERY lean. I reflashed the next day with Powerchip and while my mileage has gone down a little bit, the car runs great now. Matt's a very knowledgeable guy that has an E39 M5 himself, so if you end up calling him you may want to allocate about 30 minutes to talk :biggrinbounce:

Whatever tune you go with, I don't think you'll be disappointed with these headers. Between that and the muffler delete, my car sounds absolutely fantastic. Best of luck.

Nate

Hey Loather,
See that you are from Sac....I have Valley Motorwerks in Rancho Cordova doing all of my work for me....great shop if you haven't been to them.

Are you running a CAI & standard MAF?

·
Registered
12,965 Posts
Recommended engine tune with SuperSprint Headers?
Alpha N or ....

Headers should arrive in a week or so...
I had Powerchip and then swapped to ESS Alpha N tune with the supercharger. Both are very well done. Absolutley no complaints with PC, they were terrific to work with.

Likewise, the ESS tune was virtually flawless. I haven't had the Evolve tune, but I would be very comfortable using Sal's tune also.

I don't think you can go wrong with either choice and if you plan on adding more power in the future, consider which company might be more helpful later on.

Regards,
Jerry

Reactions: M55555

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Nate,
I met Walter a few years back when I was getting into racing...With his guidance I joined up with the Norcal Spec e30 group & have been having an absolute blast..In fact last week at the season opener at Infineon, we had 27 spec e30's on the grid...Insane fun.

So with that you ask...why drive 5 hours from SLO to Sac to have work done...Cuz the shop is the best.

Did you have your headers powder or jet coated? Is there a need to?

·
Registered
506 Posts
Talk about dedication :) I knew Walter had folks driving up from the bay area (he was working on an E36 from San Jose last time I stopped by) but SLO is quite a drive. I doubt you were planning to be in the neighborhood before your installs go down, but I'd be happy to let you check out the tune + headers if you are. I work about 10 minutes from Valley, so it's a piece of cake to run down there.

The headers were installed by the previous owner, but they are not powder or jet coated.

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
Steven,

M555,
So what was the basis for your decision to go with powerchip vs something else?

Regarding your carbon interior wrap..Did you go with the 3M product?

My VMR wheels showed up yesterday. They are sweet & the gunmetal color is going to look great with the carbon black. Everything is coming together with this makeover....SS header should arrive in the next week or so.
Those VMR wheels are going to look real good. Which ones did you go with?

The interior wrap, I actually used CF fabric. However, if you prefer vinyl, I recommend Hexis and 3M.

I chose Powerchip for a few reasons:

1. PC is local, as I preferred to have the tune done on-site, in-person, rather than removing and shipping my DME.
2. PC had a tune that was specific to the Supersprint headers on our cars.
3. Matt (owner, fellow M5board member) had done a lot of testing of his tune on his own personal vehicle so I trusted that it was the best he could offer.
4. Price was very reasonable for what was gained.

I don't think you can go wrong with either choice and if you plan on adding more power in the future, consider which company might be more helpful later on.

Regards,
Jerry
Agreed with you Jerry. All the tunes will do the job.

Did you have your headers powder or jet coated? Is there a need to?
There isn't a specific need to have the headers coated. It is actually preferred that the headers are not coated to ensure fitment of the primaries into the collector (as coating will add a few mm to the outer diameter of the piping). Unless the ends are masked off, then coating will not affect fitment. However, personally, I did not see a need for coating.

Hope that helps. Good luck!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I got the VMR V710 wheels. Went with 18x9.5 all the way around. Had them machine the 74.1 Center bore...Waiting to put rubber on & mount until I get my header, Timmay Tips, coilovers & dinan rear bar installed...

It's all coming together nicely...I have an insane 2004 E46M3 that I will be selling...Let me know if any of you want the scoop. It is blue water metallic896...only 1of 3 in the US.Here is the scoop on the car when I purchased it last July..mileage is now 104k. The car is awesome & I will be having Walter do the required valve adjustment in the coming weeks. A few other upgrades since I have taken ownership: Turner pedals, Rogue carbon fiber gearshift knob.
_________________________________________________________________________________________
This very rare M3 is 1 of 3 known M3s in the US with this special factory color, Blue Water Metallic 896. You will not see this color M3 driving around town. You will stand out. The vehicle has been meticulously maintained and cared for. Enthusiast owned and loved. Always adult owned. Never tracked, just spiritedly driven on legal roads. Never abused. 96,XXX miles. No accidents or body damage, all original paint. The body is almost perfect. You may be able to find a tiny scratch here or there but from 5 feet it looks perfect. Obviously the car will easily exceed the local speed limits. I have had the car at Autobahn speeds and the handling and braking are precise, predictable and simply incredible, giving you total confidence. Everything works as it should, no issues, no excuses. Ready to be driven across the country. Serviced regularly with Castrol 10w-60 sythentic, only available from BMW. Alternator recently replaced by a BMW Independent shop with OEM parts. 12,500miles until next inspection.

Factory Specifications and Optional Equipment

Premium Package

BMW Individual Blue Water Metallic 896

Black Leather Sport Seats

Nappa Leather
Heated
Seat Position Memory
Adjustable Seat Width/Lumbar

Power Glass Moonroof

Rain Sensor Wipers

Xenon Headlamps

Navigation System

Harmon-Kardon Sound System

Aluminum Interior Trim

Heated Side-view Mirrors, Washer Jets, Door Locks

Engine/Drivetrain Modifications /Upgrades

Dinan

High Flow Intake/Air Mass Meter Housing

High Flow Throttle Bodies

3.91 Limited Slip Differential

Short-Shift Kit

Gruppe M Titanium Exhaust

100% hand made in Japan.
100% made out of full Titanium.
Allow an extra gain of eight horsepower.
Produce a high pitch sound at tick over.

BMW Euro M3 Rotors, front and rear

Suspension Modifications/Upgrades

Ground Control Suspension

Fully Adjustable Front and Rear Coilover Kit

Rear Racing Sway Bar

Body Modifications/Upgrades

Vorsteiner Full Carbon Fiber CSL Replica Boot Lid

Vorsteiner Full Carbon Fiber CSL Replica Diffuser

Carbon Fiber Kidney Grills

Carbon Fiber Side Gills

Original Strossentech Front Lip (not a replica, 3rd sold to the public)

Clear Bra (front end, hood, mirrors, rockers, front of rear tires, sides of rear bumper)
LED Taillights

HID Fog Light Upgrade

Other Modifications/Upgrades

Custom Made Staggered 19" 2-Piece DPE Wheels with Paint-matched Lip

Kumho Ecsta SPT 245/35ZR19 Front and 275/30ZR19 Rear Tires with approx. 6k miles on them

Beltronics Dual Remote and Blinder Laser Jammer

Upgraded Firmware BMW Navigation System

1 of 3 known M3s in this color in the USA

·
Registered
506 Posts
Powerchip is based out of California, so I'm sure it will be fine. I'm due in 10 months for smog, so I could tell you for sure at that time, but somehow I doubt that helps.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts