BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About one week ago i started hearing a ticking noise when i gently press or ease off the throttle (around 1k5 and 2k5 rpms). It did go away after a few kms so i searched the forum but continued to run the car on low rpms. Yesterday the noise came back, only on the conditions described, that seem different to what i've read from other members.

Codes 69 and 71.
What may it be?

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
Code 69 is coolant plausibility,which means most likely new thermostat.

The code 71 is more interesting,intake cam position control cylinder 5-8....

This might be a CPS,but it points more towards Vanos solenoid issue.

Basically,I would take out both solenoid boards,give them new O-rings,check all solenoids and then swap the solenoids between banks and see if the code follows or not or disappears....

What is the mileage of the car?

It is also possible that the noise in that rpm range is related to a broken chain tensioner but more likely broken chain guides.

In that case removing the lower oil pan usually reveals the problem as pieces of the plastic chain guides can be found in there...

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Code 69 is coolant plausibility,which means most likely new thermostat.

The code 71 is more interesting,intake cam position control cylinder 5-8....

This might be a CPS,but it points more towards Vanos solenoid issue.

Basically,I would take out both solenoid boards,give them new O-rings,check all solenoids and then swap the solenoids between banks and see if the code follows or not or disappears....

What is the mileage of the car?

It is also possible that the noise in that rpm range is related to a broken chain tensioner but more likely broken chain guides.

In that case removing the lower oil pan usually reveals the problem as pieces of the plastic chain guides can be found in there...
I installed a new CPS, but the error keeps getting thrown so i think it might be a solenoid. I'm thinking of buying 2 rebuilt vanos from DrVanos so i can be free of these problems for a while.

do you have the chance to make a video/soundfile?
Here it is: YouTube - M5 E39 Ticking noise

I don't know if i should drive it to the mechanic or tow it.
I appreciate all the feedback.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
What now? Does it affect the other components? I read about it but i'm not sure of how serious this may be...
Can it be a loose spark plug? (hoping...)

·
Super Moderator
4,850 Posts
A shot in the dark: check your oil filter and power steering cannister mounts. Hopefully the tapping is coming from outside the engine rather than inside. If you're convinced it's inside, then a stethoscope might help diagnosis, but at that point I would call the shop for an appointment.

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
I would stay on the side of caution having listened to your clip. So ideally just drop the sump to inspect, without switching engine on again.

By the way were there occasions, when if you experienced the noise at idle and immediately turned off the engine and restarted, that the noise diappeared ?

When I had my Vanos Solenoid failure the engine would physically rock at idle, and rock the car too....Yours seems not to do this, and rather just exhibit the sound as per the clip.

Good Luck

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
A shot in the dark: check your oil filter and power steering cannister mounts. Hopefully the tapping is coming from outside the engine rather than inside. If you're convinced it's inside, then a stethoscope might help diagnosis, but at that point I would call the shop for an appointment.
I will drive to a nearby mechanic to locate the origin of the sound with greater precision.

I would stay on the side of caution having listened to your clip. So ideally just drop the sump to inspect, without switching engine on again.

By the way were there occasions, when if you experienced the noise at idle and immediately turned off the engine and restarted, that the noise diappeared ?

When I had my Vanos Solenoid failure the engine would physically rock at idle, and rock the car too....Yours seems not to do this, and rather just exhibit the sound as per the clip.

Good Luck
Today i started the engine and i couldn't ear the sound. After taking it for a short ride the sound returned. The sound goes away if i press the clutch in the moment i ear it. Is this a clue?

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Sounds like timing chain related. Possibly broken guide. I would recommend getting it towed vs driving it to reduce any possbility of further damage.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
My engine has been dismantled and they identified the problem as being a rod bearing issue. Two upper rod bearings have noticeable wear and one of them has a chipped corner (~1mm^2).
Any advice on where to buy a set of rod bearings from, including all the additional material necessary for completing the operation? Here in Portugal all parts are seriously expensive...they have presented an invoice of 14000$ for a complete engine repair (including both critical and preventive interventions).

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
www.bmminiparts.com are very good.

pYour roceeding with caution and immediate action, saved you about $6000, as long as your crankshaft is still fine, which it seems it is.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts