BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My amber & red engine temperature LED's flicker when the engine is cold. They switch off as normal when the engine warms up. I'm just wondering if anyone else has had this problem? The car runs fine and the oil level is checked frequently. It's just irritating me.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
Sounds like a loose connection either at the plug or within the cluster. First step could be to pull the cluster out, inspect the connector on both sides for corrosion or other anomalies, maybe add some dielectric grease and reinstall. Watch for it to happen again.

·
Registered
4,488 Posts
Sounds like you are talking about the rpm warning lights that wrap around the tach. They are switched on and off by the DME or IKE (not sure which) monitoring oil temperature. The oil temp signal is from the sensor mounted in the side of the oil pan. So it could also be an intermittently loose connection or damaged wiring on the sensor or even the sensor starting to go bad.

You may also have code 2C for a bad sensor if that was the case. Can you read codes?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Yes RPM warning lights. I do have a code reader, I'll have a look for codes tomorrow. It's strange, if the battery has been disconnected then reconnected, the light flickering seems to reset for a while back to normal. They will then revert back to flickering after a few drives. Electrical gremlin

·
Registered
4,488 Posts
It's strange, if the battery has been disconnected then reconnected, the light flickering seems to reset for a while back to normal. They will then revert back to flickering after a few drives. Electrical gremlin
That doesn't sound like a simple electrical connection problem to me. More like a module or bus, or ?, i.e. something that is reset by removing power.

As another data point, try secret menu test #2 described in the first post below. This lights all the lights on the dash and sweeps the gauges. Do it a few times and see if you get any flickering.

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e3...-obc-secret-menu-post3948514.html#post3948514

1 - 6 of 6 Posts