BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Chaps

I need your advise on my engine temperature running over 100c very often. Recently its doing more so. However I must stress that I am not tracking the car, the ambient temp is not hot at all and the car is not being driven hard. I am getting this issue the minute I am in 4-5K rpm band and it goes up to 110. I understand in hotter climate zones its a slight different scenario.

I have searched the forum but the most obvious reasons that I am finding it conducive to high temp is :

1) oil coolant/radiator problem
2) low engine oil
3) incorrect vanos pressure

I do have Evolve tune on it, my primary cats are deleted as well. I am not sure if the previous owner had installed a pulley, I cant tell. during first 2 years of ownership never had this issue.
Last year the ECU did throw thermostat control unit code which was replaced under the warranty.
I also feel the power is not right and fuel consumption very heavy.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your expertise troy.
Will take your word.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I am on 0-40 and haven't noticed a drop in operating temps since making the switch. Why would that make a difference, given ambient temps are the same for IM6 and I.

I do have to say though, my car seems to be running better overall since I did change oil. Cold starts are much much better, not as much vibration etc.

Reactions: IM6
T

·
0 Posts
Some of the benefits of moving from 10-60 to 0-40:

-the oil as a base starts off thinner than the 10-60, so it is easier during cold starts for the engine.

-engine heats up faster and gets to normal operating temps because the oil is thinner

-obviously better lubrication than a thicker oil because it is thinner and can work better with the tighter clearances of the bearings

-should be quieter vanos gears (at least that is what I have experienced).

-the thinner oil is less likely to begin to overheat because it moves through the oil cooler with less pressure. (This is the reason I think it will help the OP with his car).

**For racing driving, I recommend the 10-60

-if you are having a severe track day with 50+ miles of racing, I think 10-60 is more appropriate. At those extreme driving scenarios, the oil will eventually get too hot and that 0-40 base will thin out too much.

I am not an oil scientist, but I have a lot of personal experience with these cars since I own six of them and they all have different year and different mileage motors. I seem to be on a good oil regimen and it seems to work better than the past oil specs.

Best,

TJ

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
307 Posts
Great, you have confirmed all I suspected!! Thanks for confirming your specific answer to the OPs question, I didn't realise the thinner oil moved with less pressure.

As I said, I have quieter VANOS and better, easier cold starts since changing.

I love this forum!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Thanks for the info ive seen my oil temp goes a little past 210 when driving hard using LM 10W60 . Temp outside was about 65-75 degrees and didnt know if i should keep pushing it so i decided to coast and let it go back to the norm which is just under 210 for me.

·
Registered
458 Posts
I'm using Liqui Molly 10W 60 now.
As my beast uses oil, (about 1 litre/1,000 miles)
is it a good idea to try topping off with their 0-40.
Or am I better off waiting until the next full oil change?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts