BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone out there actually mounted the s38 block to an engine stand for rebuild purposes and if so any pointers/pitfalls/advice on what/what not to do - what bolts and what holes on the block to use etc.
About to rebuild the engine and looking for advice before I start !!!

·
Registered
400 Posts
noMi5 said:
Anyone out there actually mounted the s38 block to an engine stand for rebuild purposes and if so any pointers/pitfalls/advice on what/what not to do - what bolts and what holes on the block to use etc.
About to rebuild the engine and looking for advice before I start !!!
Normally, you use the holes that attach the gearbox to the engine to mount the block to the engine stand.

BobZ

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
bobz said:
Normally, you use the holes that attach the gearbox to the engine to mount the block to the engine stand.

BobZ
Hi BobZ,

Had an idea it would be some of these holes.
Just wanted to check if I should be using specific gearbox mounting holes (to make sure nothing breaks) as I suspect the finished engine will weigh quite a bit and was concerned about putting too much strain on the 4 bolts holding it to the stand.

:cheers:
Simon

·
Registered
400 Posts
noMi5 said:
Hi BobZ,

Had an idea it would be some of these holes.
Just wanted to check if I should be using specific gearbox mounting holes (to make sure nothing breaks) as I suspect the finished engine will weigh quite a bit and was concerned about putting too much strain on the 4 bolts holding it to the stand.

:cheers:
Simon
I normaly use the 2 upper most and 2 lowest holes and I have done it with small block chevs and fords and they hold up OK.

BobZ

·
Registered
201 Posts

I just rebuilt my M30 (m90 3453cc "L" block motor) in my E12 M535i over the last year. It's probably not a problem to mount the block to the stand by the holes for the bell housing (use good bolts, grade 10 would be good, 8.8 minimum), but for added safety I used a 2x4 propped up underneath the end of it when the engine was just sitting there. This took some of the stress off of the mount points on the back of the motor since I had my engine on the stand for about 6 months.

I had read somewhere that due to the length of the Big Six motors, having it hang on the engine stand for long periods could actually cause distortion in the bores from stress. As I added more components to my motor during the rebuild (particularly after mounting the head) and the weight increased, I was more concerned about propping the end of it up with the 2x4. It certainly doesn't hurt to do this. With the added weight of an S38, particularly if you are mounting the throttle bodies and intake, it will be even heavier than my M90 motor was on the stand.

·
Registered
595 Posts
This is how my S38 looked last week.

·
Registered
189 Posts
The factory engine stand holds the engine from the sides and has plates that bolt to the motor mount bracket holes. Unfortunately I've never seen an aftermarket engine stand that mounts this way so you're probably stuck mounting it the way shown, unless you feel like building an engine stand.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts