BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

41 - 60 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
01 M5, 03 M3
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
The sequence of steps through ISTA should be the same for the S62.
The problem is, at least in my version of ISTA, I see no menu for "Valve gear" or anything VANOS related under "Engine Electronics." From what I have read elsewhere you have to run the ABL for DMS and it basically just runs DIS inside of ISTA.

·
Registered
01 M5, 03 M3
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #42 (Edited)
Scratch that, FINALLY found a video on how to do the VANOS test in DIS, specifically for the S62

In case the video ever goes down here are the steps:

-Select 5 series, E39, right arrow
-Make sure only DME is selected, right arrow
-Function Selection -> Complete Vehicle -> Drive -> Engine -> Select Digital Motor Electronics
-Click "Test Plan" button
-Answer No to short test
-Right arrow, right arrow
-2. Function Test
-1. Vanos Test

·
Registered
01 Carbon/Silverstone
2,657 Posts
That was the norm for years on this forum, using DIS, before ISTA/D was a thing. I haven't needed to run a VANOS test for a few years and just assumed it could be done with ISTA, I still do. It's just a matter of getting through the ISTA maze.
Let's see your results!

·
Registered
01 M5, 03 M3
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Frustrating... at this point there's either something wrong with the USB - OBD cables I'm using or possibly the DME itself. Because, I can get into the dms ABL test through both DIS and INPA and it just hangs when I try to run it:

Anyone have any ideas? I have a couple of threads on other sites trying to see if I can find anyone who has run into these issues...

·
Registered
01 Carbon/Silverstone
2,657 Posts
Curious to see what your control unit tree looks like in ISTA.
Operation then read out vehicle data. You may have some kind of communication error.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Frustrating... at this point there's either something wrong with the USB - OBD cables I'm using or possibly the DME itself. Because, I can get into the dms ABL test through both DIS and INPA and it just hangs when I try to run it:

View attachment 947215

Anyone have any ideas? I have a couple of threads on other sites trying to see if I can find anyone who has run into these issues...
As I’ve mentioned previously - It will only run through ISTA with an iCom Head.
With DIS running in a VM and using an OBD cable it will not run with the Diag Head Emulator program - you have to use the Fister Protocol.

The following is a good document but every laptop install is slightly different.

If you can get your OBD cable to communicate with DIS without the Diag Head Emulator program running you will then be able to get into the DME menu.

Edit:-

So, I finally had time to dust off my extremely old HP nx6120 running XP to prove that this could still be done!

I apologise but I did get a couple of settings wrong.

- If you’re using an OBD USB FTDI cable then you need to use the Softig Profile with VM on. The GT1 screen strength signal will be 100% green and the Head strength signal will be blank.

EDIT:- for me the above was incorrect.
My USB would only work with VM off.
I could do a short test in both Softig and Fister protocols but only get into the DME functions in the Fister Protocol.
So the same exact settings as ADS below:-

- If you’re using an ADS FTDI cable (e.g. Tiny ADS) in a serial port you need to use the Fister Profile with VM off. The GT1 screen strength and the Head strength signals will both be blank.

You need to confirm correct communication using the API test.

Also these instructions worked 100% for me, although results vary......

·
Registered
01 M5, 03 M3
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
As I’ve mentioned previously - It will only run through ISTA with an iCom Head.
With DIS running in a VM and using an OBD cable it will not run with the Diag Head Emulator program - you have to use the Fister Protocol.
Sorry, did not mean to ignore that, for some reason I thought I had read that on Facebook and... yeah I don't always trust FB. ICOM was going to be my next step if this didn't work. I'll try that document and get back to the thread.

·
Registered
01 Carbon/Silverstone
2,657 Posts
Now I remember having similar issues the first time I ran a VANOS test. Here's link that might be of use. See post #9.

·
Registered
01 M5, 03 M3
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
No joy. Used the Fister method with v44 and it showed the same "Control unit selected has not been found!" issue as using v57. I'm thinking there's an issue on one of the CAN bus lines. I've already pulled 5 different aftermarket modules and about 40 feet of wiring from different stereo systems and miscellaneous items the POs added, so there's no telling where the issue might be.

FYI, the cable I am using is based on the FTDI 232RL that I modified with the 7-8 pin switch, and added the transistor mod so it does correctly read battery voltage and ignition position in INPA. Also my car is 01/2001 and not equipped with the ADS connector.

Here's what the output from ISTA is showing for fault memory. Most of these are legitimate as they are either missing or unplugged sensors. Some of them I think are due to the PO trying to retrofit TPMS. The factory stereo system is completely gone so that's why several of the modules are showing as NC:

·
Registered
01 Carbon/Silverstone
2,657 Posts
Did you notice it states a bad control unit can affect communication with other control units. For example a faulty ABS/DSC can pull down the PT CAN line. This is why I suggested doing a read out of vehicle data so we can see what your control unit tree looks like.
In the several years I've been on this forum I've never seen a physical fault with a CAN bus line.

·
Registered
01 M5, 03 M3
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Did you notice it states a bad control unit can affect communication with other control units. For example a faulty ABS/DSC can pull down the PT CAN line. This is why I suggested doing a read out of vehicle data so we can see what your control unit tree looks like.
I did, that's what got me to thinking about issues with CAN communication. I don't remember which line but I know the aftermarket radios have a CAN interface to read stereo buttons, so that is what has me wondering if there could be something else spliced in because the entire radio / nav harness in the trunk is MANGLED. It does only take one mis-spliced wire to cause an issue... and I haven't even gone through everything in the dash yet.

Here's the control unit tree:

I do have an oscilloscope as well.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I don’t believe it’s your car because:-
1 - if there was a CAN fault you would have these faults in your instrument cluster - temp gauge into the red, no tacho, engine failsafe message in CC etc.
2 - You can read fault memories - with ISTA you can see the DME in the tree with no faults (DME in green) and DME with ! in DIS.
To prove this, you could introduce a fault - such as disconnecting the left HFM and then starting the engine - it will then log an inlet air temperature fault - then scan it with both ISTA and DIS. ISTA should show the DME in the tree in orange (you can then read the fault memory with the bottom right bottom) and DIS should show the DME with an X after the short test and then the fault/s and a test schedule on the next page after you select the bottom right arrow.

The ONLY way to read the DME with an OBD USB cable is with EasyDIS with Fister Protocol selected.
(And without the DIAG HEAD Emulator program - this disturbs the communication to the DME).
When you have it connected and communicating correctly the top right of the screen showing your connections and signal strength will look like this:-

So, I finally had time to dust off my extremely old HP nx6120 running XP to prove that this could still be done!

- If you’re using an OBD USB FTDI cable then you need to use the Softig Profile with VM on. The GT1 screen strength signal will be 100% green and the Head strength signal will be blank.

I could do a short test in both Softig and Fister protocols but only get into the DME functions in the Fister Protocol.

- If you’re using an ADS FTDI cable (e.g. Tiny ADS) in a serial port you need to use the Fister Profile with VM off. The GT1 screen strength and the Head strength signals will both be blank.

·
Registered
01 M5, 03 M3
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
When you have it connected and communicating correctly the top right of the screen showing your connections and signal strength will look like this:-
When I used v44 it was without the diaghead, and only running the network application (IRFHv32 or something, I forget the exact name):

When working through the steps yesterday I did have the bottom row of bars at some point but after stopping some of the services under the Calibration menu it went away. I see the top row is the diag head connection, what is the bottom row? Do you know if there's one service that needs to be running?

Before the Fister steps running DIS v44 when it had just the bottom bars I had this error, but I think it was due to the UNIX IP not being configured:

If I really need to I can re-create the DIS v44 VM but hopefully you know of a fix.

·
Registered
183 Posts
The hardest part is getting the VM to communicate with your OBD.

Using Fister the signal on the bottom row should be full strength (that’s to the GT1).
The signal strength on the top row will be blank (that’s to the head).
You need to use the API test to ensure you have communication first.

- If you’re using an OBD USB FTDI cable then you need to use the Softig Profile with VM on. The GT1 screen strength signal will be 100% green and the Head strength signal will be blank

·
Registered
01 M5, 03 M3
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
The API tests were working when I did them last time... I went ahead and started over from scratch to make sure all the steps were good:

Everything look good? Too late for me to go out and test it right now.

·
Registered
183 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
The hardest part is getting the VM to communicate with your OBD.

Using Fister the signal on the bottom row should be full strength (that’s to the GT1).
The signal strength on the top row will be blank (that’s to the head).
You need to use the API test to ensure you have communication first.

- If you’re using an OBD USB FTDI cable then you need to use the Softig Profile with VM on. The GT1 screen strength signal will be 100% green and the Head strength signal will be blank

I could do a short test in bothe Softig and Fister protocols but only get into the DME functions in the Fister Protocol.

Here are photos of the order I got to the Vanos Test (although you can go through function selection to create your own test schedule)

·
Registered
01 M5, 03 M3
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Still no dice. :( Thank you for all your help Rosie! I'll see if I can get help in that thread... still stuck at the 200.133 error when trying to connect... I guess I'll try XP SP2, I don't know what else would be different.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Still no dice. :( Thank you for all your help Rosie! I'll see if I can get help in that thread... still stuck at the 200.133 error when trying to connect... I guess I'll try XP SP2, I don't know what else would be different.
Have a look at this thread:-

·
Registered
01 M5, 03 M3
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Have a look at this thread:-
I actually had already been looking through a bunch of those threads and tried following some of the suggestions 'David Mc' had

41 - 60 of 93 Posts