BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I started having a problem 3 weeks ago and searched the form and found some helpful posts. I now am reaching out for thoughts and opinions. Here is the story:

Engine reduced power after pulling into my garage. Really rough on restart, I shut it off and it smelled like gas. Towed to Dealer 1. Cyl misfire on cyl 1-10 fault codes. Diagnosed fuel injector stuck open on cyl8. Recommended replace all 10. Oil changed too. I approved total bill $4k. Drove it home, still not running perfectly smooth, but I was told the cats may be compromised from the fuel problem. (Read the hydro locked injector thread closely)...oh boy.

Tried to start the next day, immediately went into reduced power fault again! Towed back to dealer 1. They swap injector and coil to other cylinder. Error on cyl 5 misfire - but that wasn't the location of the swapped parts. Codes cleared and haven't reappeared but still not running smoothly. After another week of them not sorting it out, I picked it up and took to dealer 2, where I've had work done before. They pull out a plug and stick a scope in the cylinder and say - get this... "It looks like a wolverine was in there, it's all tore up". .????Recommend new motor - $30k installed.

Now I'm freaking out... What do you guys think? I don't know if it could be throttle actuators, ionic unit, or other. I just don't feel I can trust anyone of these dealers. I appreciate your comments and recommendations.

T

·
0 Posts
I would say the replacement cost should be about $12,500 to $13,500 all-in depending on the install rate, but yes ~ if you have wolverine cylinder then the engine is toast.

·
Registered
13,456 Posts
Scored cylinder walls means rebuild unfortunately.

·
Registered
5,674 Posts
Failed open injector. Fuel washes down cylinder walls of oil film and no lubrication. That's why on mine I scoped the cylinder walls first. It's also possible that the hydrolock bent a rod, that's why I dropped my oil pan and inspected the bottom end. When dealers try to shortcut the repairs/inspections, it gets expensive quick.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks jcolley and ACG, you guys have provided great insights to all the members here. Today I purchased an M3...

·
Registered
5,674 Posts
Thanks jcolley and ACG, you guys have provided great insights to all the members here. Today I purchased an M3...
What year M3? The S65 shares many of the design "concerns" of the the S85 as they share connecting rods, pistons and bearings.

Hope your M5 gets sorted out soon.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you!
2012 white coupe, fun but I kinda miss that v10 sound when I mash the gas! Honestly, I should have researched more but 3weeks no car I needed to get something and stumbled across it and I really like that coupe look.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Thank you!
2012 white coupe, fun but I kinda miss that v10 sound when I mash the gas! Honestly, I should have researched more but 3weeks no car I needed to get something and stumbled across it and I really like that coupe look.
Based on owners of e92 m3's I know you made a good choice, much more reliable than the m5

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
One owner with a 2013 m3 simply took the mufflers off and put on tips.
It sounds amazing no blattyness or harsh sounds much more refined than a 458 that left the Cars&Coffee at same time

·
Registered
13,456 Posts
Unfortunately these cars tend to be a pain in the a#@ at times.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Jcolley & whoever it may concern,

Do you recommend having the injectors cleaned or replaced? If cleaned how so? If replaced when?
I've got an 07 with almost 90k on the clock.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
I would replace them. Cleaning does not do much with these injectors, not sure if they get clogged up or if it is an electrical fault with them.
I think Jcolley had some cleaned and they didnt make a difference.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts