BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having recieved the news that my engine is suffering from poor oil pressure i have taken the decision to take the engine out for an overhaul.
Does anyone know of a manual for such things or any personal experience of the problems facing me.:sad3:

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
I melted a piston, sold the broken engine - found a nice touring M5 rear ended and swapped that engine in. Sold the old engine off to someone on this forum. I just didn't fancy messing about with the old one.

But then again your problem was not crippling to the engine like mine was so its probably more salvageable. Like you said you will need an engine lift. once its out and in part its really important to keep all the bits in designated areas and clean. Even during the engine swap - it was so easy to lose bits and bobs simply because we did not put them in the right storage compartments etc.

I wish you good luck, sorry I cannot add anything more technical - I had two guys helping out - they were running the show - I am pretty much useless at the more technical stuff.

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
shuggy47 said:
Having recieved the news that my engine is suffering from poor oil pressure i have taken the decision to take the engine out for an overhaul.
Does anyone know of a manual for such things or any personal experience of the problems facing me.:sad3:
There's a complete engine on ebay - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4565857781 - being sold by Infinicar (Paul) - currently at less than £800 (plus VAT, delivery, etc)

·
Moderator Emeritus
4,273 Posts
shuggy47 said:
Looked at some of the replies made by the other guys & theres no doubt that their advice makes GOOD sense when you consider that its likely to cost £5k to do a reasonable rebuild.
Sticking another engine in can solve the problem but longer term or even 20k miles down the road you could encounter the same problem you currently are looking to deal with.

But with your own engine & its matched serial numbers to the chasis etc,
you may find that only the piston rings are reqd. That plus any remedial bits & pieces mean that gasket sets & otherwise will son see any economy rebuild cost rocket with the labour factor but at least its dealt with for another 150,00 miles.

Its not any easy one, it depends on how long you intend to keep so you can benefit from it or get shot...

Farrell

·
Registered
18 Posts
Rebuilding a 3.8 engine is possible but beware of the costs.
I've rebuild my engine and it wasn't easy. Parts for a 3.8 do not come cheap ( a set of pistons was 1200 euro or 800 pounds before discount) and you definately have to know what you're doing.
If I had to do it over again Í would find a replacement engine.

But before starting I would fit a new oil pump. Has to be cheaper than rebuilding, and you will need a new pump anyway when you're rebuilding the engine.

Geert

·
Registered
118 Posts
go for a set of JE or Ross Pistons. I'm pretty sure that they are cheaper than OEM, and you can choose the size of it. They are forged and lighter than OEM.
You should be able to buy a set for US$ 90,00 each. That would save you serious money. OEM bits are recommended. As for a rebuild I would get the crankshaft balanced, all parts between con rods and crankshaft changed (don't know the name of it in english), change gaskets and seals, check your head for wear parts and cracks ...

just my 2 cents

·
Registered
687 Posts
MBrasil said:
go for a set of JE or Ross Pistons...
...They are forged and lighter than OEM.
Just wanted to note that our OEM pistons are forged ones :)

Jahangeer said:
I melted a piston, sold the broken engine...
...Sold the old engine off to someone on this forum. I just didn't fancy messing about with the old one.
I think this was a wise choice, but then your engine was in alot worse condition, compared to "shuggy47's" reports of low oil pressure..

But it died for a good cause.. it will give birth to a more potent incarnation of the S38 :M5thumbs:

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Donati said:
Just wanted to note that our OEM pistons are forged ones :)

I think this was a wise choice, but then your engine was in alot worse condition, compared to "shuggy47's" reports of low oil pressure..

But it died for a good cause.. it will give birth to a more potent incarnation of the S38 :M5thumbs:
----------------------------

I cannot wait to see it Finn! Would it be a good idea to start a new thread on how the engine is coming along ie stage by stage? I know people including myself would love to hear about it.

I was in Denmark the other day - Copenhagen to be exact, to watch the ahem Football ahem...

Saw a orinoco green Touring - 95 maybe, looked nice - is it anyone's on this board?

·
Registered
45 Posts
i'll echo the response that suggested it should depend on how long you plan to keep the car. next, it will depend on your views of the car.

for example ... if i were in your shoes, cost be damned, i would opt to source another motor, strip it down and rebuild it with possible upgrades, but focus on reliability and longevity. no matter how long it took, i'd walk that path and then swap motors. i'd go with aftermarket parts wherever it would mean stronger, lighter, better, more power or any combination of the aforementioned. someone else may choose NOT to use aftermarket pistons and valves and such, as i would be using because their focus may be on more of an engine restoration than simply a rebuild.

i think you should take your time and see what you REALLY want, then follow through with what you decide.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts