BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Being somewhat concerned about the shape of my engine over time, I decided I would do some engine oil sampling. While I do not have a lot of miles on my engine, I do tend to run my car harder than the average Joe. I have seen some other guys on other boards using Blackstone Labs, so I decided to give it a shot to see how the old S85 was holding up to repeated top speed runs and high RPM.

I was expecting some higher wear than normal. I was very surprised when they told me I should wait a little longer between oil changes:eek:oohhh:

These figures seem very good for the type of punishment I dish out to this car. FWIW, after each oil change, I add 1 liter of X1-R engine oil additive at the first demand for a liter of oil. I have to say I was skeptical of engine oil additives in general, but based on this report, I will continue with my routine. My engine oil consumption has been very low lately.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The S85 is a bulletproof engine! how many miles do you have on your M6?
Do you warm up your car when cold, or just drive it slowly until it does?
Thanks
My M6 has about 20000 Km on the clock. I don't warm the engine at idle. I start it, and drive off slowly until it reaches normal operating temps. I have been told it's better to warm it up driving slowly and at low RPMs (under 4500 or so) until it warms up normally. Doing this warms everything--the engine, gearbox, diff, etc. Otherwise warming the engine at idle only warms the oil and nothing else.

·
Registered
467 Posts
My M6 has about 20000 Km on the clock. I don't warm the engine at idle. I start it, and drive off slowly until it reaches normal operating temps. I have been told it's better to warm it up driving slowly and at low RPMs (under 4500 or so) until it warms up normally. Doing this warms everything--the engine, gearbox, diff, etc. Otherwise warming the engine at idle only warms the oil and nothing else.
Thanks for your fast reply.

Also, when the car is being driven, oil pressure is higher than at idle and thus oil lubricates the entire engine better than when it is idling.

I think waiting for the RPM to drop to normal idle is enough time for the engine to warm up.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your fast reply.

Also, when the car is being driven, oil pressure is higher than at idle and thus oil lubricates the entire engine better than when it is idling.

I think waiting for the RPM to drop to normal idle is enough time for the engine to warm up.
That increased idle speed at start is normally the engine throwing extra fuel on the catalysts in an effort to make them hot and work properly. It's only for emissions purposes. I think you're safe to drive off immediately, but waiting that short time shouldn't be a problem either.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I believe BMW (per the instruction manual) suggests that you not let the engine warm up by idling and the vehicle should be driven as soon after start up as possible.

·
Registered
836 Posts
awesome info Russ, i may do the same for $h!ts and giggles

·
Registered
467 Posts
I believe BMW (per the instruction manual) suggests that you not let the engine warm up by idling and the vehicle should be driven as soon after start up as possible.
That is true but BMW says that from an environmental point of view. Letting the car idle on a cold start pollutes a lot.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts