BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As we have discussed this problem before.

I am just wondering, how often you guys filled up your engine oil?

Does driving style effect how fast your engine oil drop?

In my case, last time I filled up my engine oil was the beginning of December 2010.

Just now, I checked my engine oil and it's showing .5L

Hope this is normal for me.

:cheers:

·
Premium Member
8,369 Posts
Hi Albert.

Oil consumption is generally tied with how hard you drive your car.
The harder you drive your car, the higher the RPM, typically the more oil the M engine consumes.

BMW M engines are famous for drinking lots of oil.
It is something we learn to acknowledge and accept.

Oil consumption is typically lower if you dont drive your car spiritedly.
But the harder you drive your beast - the more oil it consumes.

This has been discussed here too many many times.

When I had my E39 M5 - I put a liter of oil for every 800 - 1,000 miles.
On my M6 - since I drive my car very hard - I put about a liter of oil every $1,600 miles.
Oil consumption is something I learned to accept.

So not unless you have an oil leak somewhere - I would say your condition is normal for an M engine.

And as long as my beast keeps putting a smile on my face every time I drive it - I just give her her favorite drink when she gets thirsty and off I go driving again.

FYI, I always have a case of 10W60 inside my garage ready to give to my beast whenever she gets thirsty.

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
I either broke in my car properly or something is wrong with my computer.....I now have 5700 miles on the beast and it has not used 1 QT yet since the service at 1400 miles. I drive it hard too...not easy on the RPM lol

·
Premium Member
8,369 Posts
You are lucky!

When we discussed oil consumption on the E39 M5 sections years ago - we determined that no two M engines are exactly alike.
There are some that drives their beast really hard and only consumes 1 liter of oil very 8,000 miles.
Most were like mine - about a liter every 1K miles.

But there is not a set standard common oil consumption usage.
It varies and depends I guess on how good it was broken in.

Or maybe in your case - BMW did something different on the 2010 model year.

I either broke in my car properly or something is wrong with my computer.....I now have 5700 miles on the beast and it has not used 1 QT yet since the service at 1400 miles. I drive it hard too...not easy on the RPM lol

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Albert.

Oil consumption is generally tied with how hard you drive your car.
The harder you drive your car, the higher the RPM, typically the more oil the M engine consumes.

BMW M engines are famous for drinking lots of oil.
It is something we learn to acknowledge and accept.

Oil consumption is typically lower if you dont drive your car spiritedly.
But the harder you drive your beast - the more oil it consumes.

This has been discussed here too many many times.

When I had my E39 M5 - I put a liter of oil for every 800 - 1,000 miles.
On my M6 - since I drive my car very hard - I put about a liter of oil every $1,600 miles.
Oil consumption is something I learned to accept.

So not unless you have an oil leak somewhere - I would say your condition is normal for an M engine.

And as long as my beast keeps putting a smile on my face every time I drive it - I just give her her favorite drink when she gets thirsty and off I go driving again.

FYI, I always have a case of 10W60 inside my garage ready to give to my beast whenever she gets thirsty.
Hi Dan,

Lately,I've been driving my car hardly (pretty much Hi rev all the time+ mostly engine break:M5rev:), I think that's why my engine oil drop pretty fast. Besides, this is my daily driver:M5thumbs:

Luckily, we can always ask BMW Seattle to fill up our engine oil for free.

Since you fill up your engine oil by yourself, do you use specific brand for your engine oil?

Well, my intention in this post is to compare other M6 owners- how often they filled up their engine oil.

All in all, thank you so much for the input Dan.

Can't wait to see your car after you lower it.
(FYI, I lowered my car last Sunday:M5thumbs:)

·
Registered
358 Posts
Computer is fine. After 1st oil change at 1200 went to 8K before oil was needed. Just reached 15K and have scheduled service. Checked oil level last week and just started to drop. I did notice once level started to drop it seemed to drop quickly to add oil level. 7 to 8K on a properly broken in engine on the MY2010 even driven hard (which I enjoy doing) is realistic. Curious about other MY2010 owners.

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
Computer is fine. After 1st oil change at 1200 went to 8K before oil was needed. Just reached 15K and have scheduled service. Checked oil level last week and just started to drop. I did notice once level started to drop it seemed to drop quickly to add oil level. 7 to 8K on a properly broken in engine on the MY2010 even driven hard (which I enjoy doing) is realistic. Curious about other MY2010 owners.
You know my car is also stronger than my 2007. I swear BMW did something different they are not telling haha. I ran 0.2 seconds quicker in my 2010 in the 1/4 mile than my 2007 and that was with similar conditions and 60' times....

Maybe Mark can chime in here also on his 2010 consumption...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.