BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I noticed a puddle of engine oil leak in my garage over the weekend so this morning I took the pan off and noticed quite considerable leak from driver side bottom part of engine bay. I've attached a couple of pictures to illustrate where the drips are coming from. I cleaned everything off so hopefully I can get better idea to where the leak is coming from. Is there a better way of diagnosing where the leak is coming from?

Thanks,

2011-01-31_10-54-28_487.jpg

2011-01-31_10-54-08_269.jpg

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
Check from the top the valve cover gasket on this side...

Slide on the cold engine with your finger along the bottom line of the valve cover...if it is oily then,BINGO..

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your quick response. It seems the leak is coming from Vanos solenoid instead. It's dripping from the "elbow" area on the solenoid #2.

RealOEM.com BMW E39 M5 Cylinder Head Vanos

It seems BMW don't sell the "elbow" part separately but it's part of the solenoid? I noticed you have a write up on solenoid replacement. Do you think I can stop the leak by just replacing 0-rings and gaskets?

Thanks,

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
The leak comes from the solenoids then.

Replace the Vanos solenoid O-rings and fine.

If it is leaking that badly,good chance the Vanos is not working correct as well!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When the engine is turned on, I can see drip every 2 seconds or so. What is your recommendation? Replace the rings first and see or ??

Thanks,

·
Registered
214 Posts
Just an observation, your power steering hose looks like it is in poor condition and rather swollen. The fluid you have pictured has a bit of a red tinge to it - possible power steering leak? I would consider doing the hose regardless if it is the cause of the leak - cheap and easy to do :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts