BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
4,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting a rattling / humm at idle. Enough that even my girlfriend thinks my car is a diesel. I have never heard this before and I haven't driven the car for a month until today.

The sound appears to be originating from the top of the cylinder heads towards the front.

Is this normal?

·
Registered
560 Posts
Mine makes a weird rattle sometimes as well... usually when the weather changes from hot to cold, goes away after warmup but its very noticeable outside of the usual rumbling diesel sounding startup...

I've not figured it out yet though, sorry...

·
Registered
8,300 Posts
OUTOWE.....Vanos???

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
I drove mine on Saturday for the first time in two months and had a similar noise but went away after driving a few minutes. My power streering was also kind of funky as I needed both hands to turn the car for the first turns. I guess she doesn't like to hibernate too much.....

Cheers ///

·
Registered
4,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I drove mine on Saturday for the first time in two months and had a similar noise but went away after driving a few minutes. My power streering was also kind of funky as I needed both hands to turn the car for the first turns. I guess she doesn't like to hibernate too much.....

Cheers ///

Thanks everyone for responding..... I did a deep search after posting and it seems to be consistent with Vanos noise.

These things need to be driven constantly!!!

My appointment is Wednesday and hopefully they will purge the system.

A dark part of me wanted a new engine :)

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Air entrainment in the vanos high pressure oil loop.........as you've discovered it will purge itself with use. :cool2:

·
Registered
4,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Air entrainment in the vanos high pressure oil loop.........as you've discovered it will purge itself with use. :cool2:

Thanks Barry for the info here and in the other thread.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
It could also be the Vanos Solenoid Valve, having mine replaced, after hearing what sounds like a chain on one of the plastic covers at the front of the engine where the vanos stuff is located.

I'm guessing many vanos issues will have that sound.

Also one of the parts is on back order to Germany, so I'm guessing that I'm not the only M5 to have had this issue with the vanos solenoid valve in the UK.

·
Registered
4,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It could also be the Vanos Solenoid Valve, having mine replaced, after hearing what sounds like a chain on one of the plastic covers at the front of the engine where the vanos stuff is located.

I'm guessing many vanos issues will have that sound.

Also one of the parts is on back order to Germany, so I'm guessing that I'm not the only M5 to have had this issue with the vanos solenoid valve in the UK.

Thanks....it doesn't seem to affect power. Is there any potential for damage from driving on the street? On the track?

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Thanks....it doesn't seem to affect power. Is there any potential for damage from driving on the street? On the track?
My sound comes and goes, generally, I'll drive to the shops, say 2 miles, I'll go round the shops get back into the car and this is when I hear it, only at idle or very light throttle, once warm it is fine.

The head tech at the dealer said if it was air it would happen more frequently. He mentioned a few different things that it could be, but he needed to check it out to be sure.

When they located the problem they did tell me it was safe to drive my car and there was no chance of damage to the engine.

My car feels as strong as ever, if not stronger thanks to the BMC and RPI scoops :7:...

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Vanos air entraimment has a sound all its own. I bet the tech a cheeseburger it wasn't air when it manifested itself in my 07 because it sounded metallic in nature and caused a vibration in the fore valve cover. (area where the vanos gear set lurks) I lost the bet. There is a bleed-off valve located in the sump near the vanos oil pump which provides for air attenuation in the system......when it's up and running

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Vanos air entraimment has a sound all its own. I bet the tech a cheeseburger it wasn't air when it manifested itself in my 07 because it sounded metallic in nature and caused a vibration in the fore valve cover. (area where the vanos gear set lurks) I lost the bet. There is a bleed-off valve located in the sump near the vanos oil pump which provides for air attenuation in the system......when it's up and running
Sounds like the exact same sound. Like a metal chain rubbing against the black plastic cover, I get it on one side only and if you feel the plastic you can feel it vibrate unlike the other side.

I'm still waiting for the part to arrive to get mine fixed, but they obviously found somethig wrong with it for them to be replacing it.

After your previous posts, I was convinced it was the air, the tech doubted it simply becuase I get my sound at a specific time and he said if it was air I would be geteting it more frequently.

I don't get it at first start up, usually on the second start up if I've left my car for say 20 mins after the initial start-up of the day, which is quite specific.

I could not tell you if air is causing the noise, only that the fault is with the vanos solenoid valve.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Sounds like the exact same sound. Like a metal chain rubbing against the black plastic cover, I get it on one side only and if you feel the plastic you can feel it vibrate unlike the other side.

I'm still waiting for the part to arrive to get mine fixed, but they obviously found somethig wrong with it for them to be replacing it.

After your previous posts, I was convinced it was the air, the tech doubted it simply becuase I get my sound at a specific time and he said if it was air I would be geteting it more frequently.

I don't get it at first start up, usually on the second start up if I've left my car for say 20 mins after the initial start-up of the day, which is quite specific.

I could not tell you if air is causing the noise, only that the fault is with the vanos solenoid valve.
The selenoid valve a/k/a bleed-off valve is one in the same and is probably the cause of your phantom noise.

·
Registered
8,300 Posts
Yes, Yes....thankyou all the old man has speeked..............lol

·
Registered
994 Posts
Emissions control system creates an unholy racket from the engine from cold for about 1-2 minutes.

However, I think Barry has solved this particular mystery.

·
Registered
4,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Took it in for service, they did the bleed off procedure and the car still makes the noise.

They suggested driving it for a bit, so is this absolutely safe?

I will check again in a week.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Took it in for service, they did the bleed off procedure and the car still makes the noise.

They suggested driving it for a bit, so is this absolutely safe?

I will check again in a week.
They had to do my car twice once.:hihi:

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Had my selenoid valve (bleed-off valve) replaced and my car is now fine.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts