BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Is there a price point that you guys feel it would be worth a gamble at? Car is indianapolis-rot metallic with sepang interior.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Is there a price point that you guys feel it would be worth a gamble at? Car is indianapolis-rot metallic with sepang interior.
Before I give a price I have a couple questions. What year is the car, What transmission does it have, and what’s the condition other than the issue at hand

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Before I give a price I have a couple questions. What year is the car, What transmission does it have, and what’s the condition other than the issue at hand
2007, SMG, 1 small dent by the gas door, interior is clean other then normal wear on the driver seat and armrest, no tears though.

He was asking 6,500 before i looked at the car we had talked about 5,000 but after looking and hearing im wondering if ii should try and get it lower.

·
Registered
183 Posts
The sound is 100% from the exhaust vanos gear. and IMO has nothing to do with the vanos codes. I had exactly this noise and replacing the vanos gear fixed it. Sometime in 2007 bmw upgraded the vanos gear(exhaust) I would start with checking vanos pressure. I posted a video on youtube with the ssme exact noise i had(seatch e60 m5 vanos noise on youtube)

Sent from my IN2023 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
The sound is 100% from the exhaust vanos gear. and IMO has nothing to do with the vanos codes. I had exactly this noise and replacing the vanos gear fixed it. Sometime in 2007 bmw upgraded the vanos gear(exhaust) I would start with checking vanos pressure. I posted a video on youtube with the ssme exact noise i had(seatch e60 m5 vanos noise on youtube)

You dont think its rod knock?

·
Registered
183 Posts
Imo the engine sounds ok...i bet you have low vanos pressure causing limp mode...the sound in the video is very common and is nothing to worry about...

1) check oil filter for bearing shavings
2) check vanos pressure and troubleshoot the codes
3) optional replace exhaust vanos gear to cure the noise

·
Registered
183 Posts
Build date of the car is 10-25-2006
The engine was cold when i took the video and had not been started in a long time.
Do this ..try to rev it around 1200 rpm...the sound should decrease...the noise is present while engine cold but while the rpm.is higher(engine cold) its less loud...

·
Registered
183 Posts
Do this ..try to rev it around 1200 rpm...the sound should decrease...the noise is present while engine cold but while the rpm.is higher(engine cold) its less loud...

The noise from the vanos gear is loudest at idle and starts to fade away around 1200 ish

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Have you checked my video? The noise comes exactly from under the black pastic cover(where the vanos gears are)

Yes i did and that is where ii hear the sound. So it needs to have the vanos rebuilt/replaced.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Yes i did and that is where ii hear the sound. So it needs to have the vanos rebuilt/replaced.
Ok, so this is not the reason for the codes..this is just optional if the noise annoys you(it annoyed me so i replaced it). It is only worth replacing it with(exhaust vanos gear and not intake) from a post 2007 car.

The best "test" to check the engine health(regarding the codes not the noise) is to remove the oil filter and look for shavings...if you cant find shaving its probably all good..

·
Registered
183 Posts
Ok, so this is not the reason for the codes..this is just optional if the noise annoys you(it annoyed me so i replaced it). It is only worth replacing it with(exhaust vanos gear and not intake) from a post 2007 car.

The best "test" to check the engine health(regarding the codes not the noise) is to remove the oil filter and look for shavings...if you cant find shaving its probably all good..

Basically, the vanos gear has a spring that keeps one of the two cogs in it tensioned against the cog of the intake vanos gear...when the spring becomes weak the cogs arent tensioned against each other and you get that noise at idle(low rpm)

21 - 40 of 57 Posts