BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im thinking about buying this car but was wondering if anyone would have an idea what could be causing this noise. It is a loud clacking sound, im thinking it could be vanos or a cam. The sound is coming from the front driver side of the motor under the valve cover. It had a used high pressure vanos pump installed into it a few years ago. The car has been sitting for 2 years now due to this issue. The guy that owns the car said it was running fine then the car went into limp mode when the noise started. It threw a Vanos code and showed the half engine light. I screwed up when i went to check the car today and didnt bring my code reader. I have a video of the sound but i cant seem to add it to the post. If someone could tell me what format i need to convert it to that would be great. The car is a 2007 e60 M5 with 106k miles on it.

·
Registered
311 Posts

Does it sound like this? If so, it's VANOS. Pre-LCI cars are sort of prone to it.
(I should clarify that this video is of my old Pre-LCI 06, not my current LCI 08)

·
Premium Member
2008 E60 M5 Dinan S2+
340 Posts
I just uploaded the video to youtube. It does sound like that but maybe a little louder. The engine is idling rough also

can't see the video you posted. It's showing to us like this. You may have to switch it to public.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Okay that video you posted sounds like rod knock. Vanos codes usually come with failed rod bearings as well.

·
Premium Member
2008 E60 M5 Dinan S2+
340 Posts
that sounds terrible. rod knock?

·
Premium Member
2008 E60 M5 Dinan S2+
340 Posts
@flacoramos - i can't find the video you posted, where there was a similar knocking sound but it ended up being the A/C pulley?

·
Premium Member
2008 E60 M5 Dinan S2+
340 Posts
FOund it - M5 last dance?

@mwilliams2123 - check out the link above. Our moderator posted a video not too long ago with a similar sound. it turned out to be much less catastrophic than rod knock.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Would that entail a full rebuild or just bearings? We were thinking it would need bearings before hearing it and thinking it could be something else. The car is pretty clean and the guy wants 5k for it. I have no problem doing a bearing job.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Would that entail a full rebuild or just bearings? We were thinking it would need bearings before hearing it and thinking it could be something else. The car is pretty clean and the guy wants 5k for it. I have no problem doing a bearing job.
If it's rod knock, and I'm inclined to believe it if it sounds like that and the guy said it's in limp mode throwing VANOS codes, then it's a full rebuild. New crank and bearings at the very least, new vanos solenoids too. Pretty hard to flush all that material out afaik. Most people with spun bearings elect to source a different engine as opposed to rebuilding. I really don't think it's what flaco's problem was but if you'd like to eliminate that, ask the guy to run the car with no belts on.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
But would the AC compressor cause the engine to run rough or just make a loud noise? The engine is idling rough.

·
Premium Member
2008 E60 M5 Dinan S2+
340 Posts
But would the AC compressor cause the engine to run rough or just make a loud noise? The engine is idling rough.
Rough idle could mean other things. In @N_Rob's video, his idle doesn't sound rough. Nor in @flacoramos's does his idle sound rough.
It wouldn't hurt to check out the A/C pulley - at least to rule it out. But regardless, I agree with what @N_Rob said.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
The idle is rough to the point it sounds like its going to cut out, we only had it idle for a few mins and never died but definitely was fluttering

·
Registered
285 Posts
I’m just trying to wrap my head around someone installing a used vanos pump and not doing bearings at the same time. 🤔

I’m not sure I’m qualified to play ‘guess the s85 noise’ game and win. the vid quality and distance from the engine make this one an advanced level challenge. But you have to be in it to win it so I’ll say rod knock.

If you see it again giving it a little rpm might help diagnose it as often vanos noises go away with the increase in oil pressure. Rod knock will usually just knock faster.

It could be the ac compressor but that’s unlikely to cause the poor running. Though it’s not impossible that it has 2 separate issues.

If you enjoying inflicting financial pain on yourself maybe offer him $4k and start tearing it down?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I’m just trying to wrap my head around someone installing a used vanos pump and not doing bearings at the same time. 🤔

I’m not sure I’m qualified to play ‘guess the s85 noise’ game and win. the vid quality and distance from the engine make this one an advanced level challenge. But you have to be in it to win it so I’ll say rod knock.

If you see it again giving it a little rpm might help diagnose it as often vanos noises go away with the increase in oil pressure. Rod knock will usually just knock faster.

It could be the ac compressor but that’s unlikely to cause the poor running. Though it’s not impossible that it has 2 separate issues.

If you enjoying inflicting financial pain on yourself maybe offer him $4k and start tearing it down?

Im told when they changed the vanos pump with a used one it was a few years ago and the bearings "looked fine" the car has only driven 2k miles max since then. I dont have a problem doing the work. Also the sound is much louder at the top of the motor then at the bottom of the motor.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Im told when they changed the vanos pump with a used one it was a few years ago and the bearings "looked fine" the car has only driven 2k miles max since then. I dont have a problem doing the work. Also the sound is much louder at the top of the motor then at the bottom of the motor.
Sort of sounds like rod knock. Does it make that noise more if you raise the rpm’s?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sort of sounds like rod knock. Does it make that noise more if you raise the rpm’s?
Unfortunately we did not rev the engine at all because of how rough it was running, and the car was not mine LOL. The car is about 2 hours away from me or i would head back over and check it with some of the info given. I thought that rod knock would be louder on the bottom end of the engine vs the top end.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Unfortunately we did not rev the engine at all because of how rough it was running, and the car was not mine LOL. The car is about 2 hours away from me or i would head back over and check it with some of the info given. I thought that rod knock would be louder on the bottom end of the engine vs the top end.
Damn I literally had the same situation when I bought mine about a year ago. I went to look at mine and it had an engine noise but it didn’t run bad. Needless to say I’m still chasing the noise. I’d probably skip on buying that car if I were you unless he lets you get it towed to the dealer or an independent shop for an inspection.

·
Registered
285 Posts
It can be a little hard to pinpoint exactly where the noise is coming from. An engine stethoscope can help (looks like a dr’s one but instead of a pad on the end it has a 12inch long prove that you touch to various points on the engine). In a pinch you can use a really long screwdriver.

But yeah you need to raise the rpm at least a little bit to get some more data.

Edit: like this https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/...stethoscope/52500/2642597?q=stethoscope&pos=0

1 - 20 of 57 Posts