BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,

I've searched and searched all over and can't find anyone describing a similar issue, or any video that replicates my issue. Here are a few facts:

• '06 M5 SMG
  • 26k miles
  • Since September, my car has sat on a Battery Tender in my garage. Car is driven roughly once every 4 weeks to full operating temperature to get fluids running, tires moving, etc, and then returned to the garage.
  • It was making this noise prior to long term storage, but I don't think I noticed it as I have the radio on when I drive. The noise is slightly audible inside, and clearly noticable outside the car.
  • It happens 75%-85% of the time the car is running.
  • Slightly variable with engine speed.
  • It is a rotating, circular noise (comes and goes in a rythm), and sounds like crickets off in the distance on a summer night (doing the best I can with a description :) )
I've had no other issues with drivability of the car, but I'm very concerned as it is an odd noise. I won't have a chance to get it to the dealer until late March, but it will also be in my garage unused, so I'm not concerned about the delay to have it diagnosed in person. Any help is appreciated! Please watch the video, particularly toward the end (17-22 seconds). The noise is very pronounced in person, but hard to capture on video. It was more audible on video with the engine closed.

YouTube - IMG 0866

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
After 83 views and no feedback, I'm a little worried :)

Anyone want to venture a guess as to the source of the noise?

·
Registered
159 Posts
There are many threads about it, but it sounds like the Vanos issue.
I had the exact same sound, but a little quieter than yours. Could
be Vanos solenoid, lines, or some other component of that system.
The dealership did the Vanos flush procedure a few times on my vehicle and that
seemed to help bring the noise down.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I don't really hear too much abnormal in your video. There are other vanos noise videos on this board that sound much worse. How about a video with the hood up and the mic right next to the valve covers.

Mine had some vanos noise and after a few weeks of hard driving it went away.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the feedback. I did take a few videos with the hood up, but it didn't capture the sound at all. It was more audible on video with the hood down (only using an iPhone for video). In terms of the Vanos, that is my assumption as well, however I bet I've listed to every vanos video out there for weeks. I haven't found my sound. I feel the video made my car sound louder than it is in person. It sounds fairly normal (slight diesel noise), but nothing like some videos I've seen. I am not experiencing any vibration in the tell tale vanos components near the front of the engine.

It's just an odd, very distinct sound (in person) that concerns me. Are you suggesting if it's just the vanos there is a chance it will bless itself out with longer, more frequent trips? As I said, I've put maybe 85 miles on the car in the last 5 months.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
8,300 Posts
Vanos

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is this something that will likely cost me in the thousands to fix? Or is this something that will go away with a vanos bleed / long drive? I have a third party warranty. Never made a claim yet. Id hate to see them try to hose me on a large repair bill.... Any insight is appreciated.

·
Registered
977 Posts
being an earlier model it is normal sounding, later models have no clacking diesel sound. Your car sounds quiet!

·
Registered
311 Posts
I think mine has the same sound.

·
Registered
977 Posts
07 onwards as long as they are built to an MY07 onwards build date have the diesel tone removed due to complaints from owners being concerned with such a valuable car sounding like a diesel truck.

·
Registered
431 Posts
07 onwards as long as they are built to an MY07 onwards build date have the diesel tone removed due to complaints from owners being concerned with such a valuable car sounding like a diesel truck.
I have the diesel sound in mine. I don't mind it at all. Sounds kinda mean. It's only at idle. Totally normal for 06 cars.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Guys, just to clarify, I fully understand and am fine with the diesel sound. The sound in question is masked by the diesel sound in the video, but is still audible from 17 to 22 seconds
In the video. Its definitely different, and in addition to the diesel sound. Its a rotating, circular, chirping noise. It's audible inside and outside the car, and much more pronounced when standing at the car in person.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts