BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am a new member, and am overwhelmed with the technical knowledge about our M5's within this board. I purchased my M about 4 months ago with 110,000 miles on the clock and have replaced the Timing chain tensioner, all 4 cps's, all 4 oxygen sensors, and both MAFs, fan clutch and fan. I noticed a noise when sitting at a stop light. It only occurs between 500 and 700 rpm, and is not present at idle only when given a little throttle. It sounds like a whistle, or the distant sounds of crickets chirping. I took it to a local BMW repair shop, European Autowerks in Virginia Beach, and was told by the technician that he couldn't hear anything, and once i pointed out the noise he stated it should be fine. Any insight would be appreciated.
This is the only decent recording i could get of the noise.
http://dw3.convertfiles.com/files/06...478/memo-1.mp3

·
Super Moderator
4,850 Posts
Welcome to the board, and thanks for your service.

I would go with the tech's evaluation, but it's good to at least start thinking about bearings at that mileage.

Does it sound like a belt squeal? Does it go away a few mins after startup (could be the secondary air pump)? Does it go away if you turn off your HVAC?

Not for this, but for later: consider getting a Peake reader. It's a new member's best friend.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thank you for the welcome chowdah, and quick reply. I will try turning off the HVAC, and see if that makes a difference. It doesn't sound like belt noise at all, its a higher pitch squeak/whistle and I tend to notice it mostly once the engine is warmed up. I was able to get a decent recording of the noise, and have attached a link to the sound.
http://dw3.convertfiles.com/files/0629885001296441478/memo-1.mp3

·
Registered
524 Posts
does anyone think it sounds like chain rattle?

·
Registered
446 Posts
I had my rod bearings replaced....thank goodness because they were shot....at about 40k miles....I think.

Rod bearings, in my case, were more of a knock that increased with speed directly with throttle...it was distinct and did not sound high pitched at all...it sounded expensive as hell. Thank goodness there wasn't any spinning.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts