BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just replaced my engine mounting rubbers today - these are the oil filled damper type units.

According to REALOEM, its the same part number. Yet when looking at the old units I can see they are different. The threaded stud and pins have different offsets, left to right. (will post pics in the next day or two)

Problem was I never checked the new units, just gave them to my mechanic in their plastic packet, so I dont know what the fitted units look like.

Must say, engine and drive train feels smoother - maybe placebo effect:confused:.
Looking at the old units I cant see any tears. One mounting has a lot of oil on it, I thought it was leaking, but now that its clean I cant see any place the oil could have escaped from. Possibly oil leaked from some part of the engine?

Anyone shed any light on this matter?

·
Super Moderator
10,461 Posts
i just did the same thing. I had a pile of parts on my workbench waiting for a free weekend, for the past 5 months. I didn't see a free weekend coming up in the near future, so this past monday the car and the parts went to my local shop.
Engine mounts were replaced, and yes, the car is smoother, especially at idle. Now i also had a valve adjustment done. I have records of it being done late 2005 (though that was only about 6k miles ago), and my shop replaced 6 shims, and moved around 6 more! Car is running so much better i can hardly believe it. Also had the ac re-gassed, so nice with cool ac. Fitted the 850csi lower contol arms too.
Ready for summer.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My mech replaced the 2 mountings for the equivalent of $60 in labour. For that kind of money, its not worth my while taking half a day of my weekend to do it myself.

I'd rather go ride my dirt bike in my free time on a weekend.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
There is no doubt that the new mountings are a positive improvement.

Was evident to me this morning on cold start up. Motor was definitely smoother on its idle. Previously I used to get an occassional knocking sound with the cold rough idle. This is now also gone.

Aggressive gear changes are now a tad smoother. That torque "thump" I used to get as I dipped the clutch coming off WOT, is more damped.

All said and done, I'm a happy camper.

I'll still post some pics as soon as I get a chance, keen to figure out why the old mountings are different from each other.

Reactions: davidoli

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Excellent stuff - looking to do mine soonish as well, so glad to hear it makes a nice difference at all stages, even startup!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts