BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do I know when my engine mounts could do with replacing? I notice that if the car is still, brake on, and in neutral, a sharp blip of the throttle causes the whole car to vibrate in sympathy! It's hard to explain - the chassis moves noticeably. I know the engine is powerful, but should this happen? I was wondering if my engine mounts are not insulating the chassis from the engine as they should?

·
Registered
752 Posts
How do I know when my engine mounts could do with replacing? I notice that if the car is still, brake on, and in neutral, a sharp blip of the throttle causes the whole car to vibrate in sympathy! It's hard to explain - the chassis moves noticeably. I know the engine is powerful, but should this happen? I was wondering if my engine mounts are not insulating the chassis from the engine as they should?​
i have the same issue... i have a bit of vibration throughout the whole car when standing still... Hope someone has an answer

·
Registered
553 Posts
Could be. I had similar issues on my 540i when they needed replacing. only way to tell is to inspect them. Look for cracks. You should put a jack under the support arm and jack it up 0.5-1" to stretch them during inspection.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I am no expert but I am sure this is pretty normal, my car wobbles with the engine when i blip the throttle. 186000km

It's just the heart of the beast trying to escape.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
As far as I am aware they haven't but I had the car up on a ramp for nearly two days and checked a lot of things with a mechanic and we found nothing wrong. I can't say I looked at the mounts closely but the engine has always wobbled since I got the car.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I am no expert but I am sure this is pretty normal, my car wobbles with the engine when i blip the throttle. 186000km

It's just the heart of the beast trying to escape.

+1

mine does the same. in fact every car ive driven with a powerful engine does the same. especially noticable in 4x4's. 48k miles

1 - 12 of 12 Posts