BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just spoke with my service rep, he says that my SES lights is because of misfiring. they said it's nothing to worry about and they couldn't really find anything wrong with the car. ses will be reset and it should be okay. i'm a little skeptical of this because a few time my engine completely lost power on the highway. i had to pull on to the shoulder, come to a stop, and restart the car to get the power back. i think that it might be the MAF, what do you guys think?

·
10,458 Posts
sounds fishy. WHY is the car misfiring, i don't think it's by design. It could be a number of things, bad plugs, bad coils. How many miles are on the spark plugs. That'd be my first thing to change. A bad mafs should be giving mafs or A/F codes.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
just spoke with the mechanic, the misfire is related to low fuel. supposedly he says that the engine shuts off because it get a code that there isn't any fuel, but it's not like i drive around on empty.

·
10,458 Posts
ContractR said:
just spoke with the mechanic, the misfire is related to low fuel. supposedly he says that the engine shuts off because it get a code that there isn't any fuel, but it's not like i drive around on empty.
Fuel filter or fuel pump? I had a similar issue at my last track event. I put a new fuel filter on, and new plugs, so we'll see next time out. Never happens on the street. (never happened on the track before either though)
Mike

·
Registered
340 Posts
I had the exact same issue in April with my '03 (15K on the clock), while entering a freeway. SES light appeared (though I had the car serviced within the last 3K, misfiring. Pulled over, had my car towed to my dealer that did a check, found the misfiring, reloaded the software, but could find no "problems." Since I have had some engine skips at around 5K RPM (4th gear). MAF may be the culprit but the dealer will not replace until there is a clear error that points to MAF.

·
Registered
626 Posts
I had this exact problem - an SES light, but no problem code stored other than "misfire".

It was a two dollar part - a cracked insulator between the coil and the spark plug on one cylinder. The spark was arcing to the cylinder head.

The dealer was able to fix it once the misfire got bad enough that it was all but undriveable. The computer wouldn't help so they swapped coils and plugs around until they found it.

Runs better than ever now. It's better than the day I drove it home!

Cheers
JJ

1 - 7 of 7 Posts