BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good time of the day. I have received a dreadful message from my car today "Engine Malfunction/Reduced Power".
Happened when I was doing about 70mph on the freeway, immediately lost the power and redline went down to 5kRPMs. Made it home safely but on the away at every stoplight it sounded as if it was choking on itself and lots of shaking. As soon as I approached my drive way the car just died on me. I tried starting it 3 times and it failed. Decided to put the key in (it has comfort access) to unlock the steering and push it the rest of the way, but then gave it another try. It started, the Fault Message went away, but the symptoms of the limp mode stayed the same. Started it 2.5 hours later and same story, shaking when idling and sounds like its about to choke on itself. Like its missing a few cylinders or something.

a few things to consider:
It has happened to me before after doing 140mph in MDM but the symptoms were nothing like it(no shake, no weird sounds), I ignored it because I needed a new
Voltage Regulator at that time, which would give any sort of fault code due to malfunction at the time. Replaced my Alternator in whole, had no issues whatsoever since then.
Another thing, I have been driving around with Increased Emissions for quite some time, due to a bad Thermostat, got the new one but never had the chance to replace it still.
Also for the past 3 months every cold start sounded like the engine was "flooded", RPMs would just jump from 700 to 1200 for a few minutes until warmed up.

The car is 90,000 miles old.
I have no idea of the previous records regarding spark plugs or anything like that. Already thinking about Coil Pack, Brake booster, Spark Plugs themselves, Pressure Differential Sensor. I just hope its something replaceable and I dont need to say bye-bye to my engine because of worn down Rod Bearings.

will have the codes read soon. while I'm at it, any of you kind gentleman have an idea of what can possibly be wrong?
Thank you for the time.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
It could be a number of things. Reading the codes (as you've suggested) is the only way to know for sure. Here is a small list in some sort of priority - based on E60 M5 experience.

1. Throttle actuator(s) - Could be either issue with gears, or circuit board
2. Battery / Alternator failure - You can still have battery and be able to start, but if the charge is too low, all sorts of mischief happens. You would see a whole bunch of other faults and little pictures on the dash - usually including the weird "Excessive Emissions" message.

Sorry that I can't be more help than this.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Got it scanned:
Multiple cylinder misfire.
Every single one except cyl. 5, and the main code is P102D which I have no clue about.

after doing a lot of reading here I found that somebody with a similar problem had it fixed by replacing Engine Camshaft Position Sensors.

Still have no idea what to do, really starting to think about selling As Is for what ever I can get and get me an E39 M5. Which would be a shame because if you check the pictures, this car is a beauty. Exhaust, wheels, lowering kit, carbon.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Why would you get rid of car for rod bearings? BMW makes a retrofit looser bearing set or Cleavite, which makes super high end trimetal bearings for applications like top fuel dragsters. My son works for an independent BMW repair shop, he's got an M5, and he's replacing his with BMW replacement parts.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
4 Participants
gmyatko
BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums
M5Board is the best forum community for information on the BMW M5 E60 (V-10), E39 (V-8), E34 (straight 6), E28, F90 and F10. Discuss performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing