BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got these dreaded warnings this afternoon!ouich the first one happened after I had been driving about 15 miles or so, nothing excessive. continued to my destination and left her alone for about 30 minutes and started her back up... everything seemed ok. I even stayed in P400 mode, then on the drive back home got both warnings!!?? :sad2:
and yes I did a search on the subject.... just wondering who has had similar experiences... and if there is any chance it will "self-correct"???hmmm

·
Registered
50 Posts
Just got these dreaded warnings this afternoon!ouich the first one happened after I had been driving about 15 miles or so, nothing excessive. continued to my destination and left her alone for about 30 minutes and started her back up... everything seemed ok. I even stayed in P400 mode, then on the drive back home got both warnings!!?? :sad2:
and yes I did a search on the subject.... just wondering who has had similar experiences... and if there is any chance it will "self-correct"???hmmm
You should really take it to BMW ASAP. My 2007 M5 did the same thing and completely died on the freeway. BMW Germany was prepared to install a new engine, intake and header set. After refusing that deal, it worked out as I received an M6 for my trouble.

Believe it or not, the same engine malfunction warning light came on in the M6. The dealership put the car on the computer and it was simply a misfire. So to answer your question, in this instance, it "self-corrected". This hasn't happened again, so the M6 is in good shape.

Well good luck!

·
Registered
836 Posts
if it were just increased emissions warning and not reduced power with lower redline (limp mode) I wouldn't get worried about it. But with limp mode there are several possible sources and it's better to know what it is before assuming it's no big deal and waiting for it to clear itself. They should be able to tell you what is causing it readily by looking at the fault codes on OBDII. I say bring it in.

PS. NV M6's experience sure ran the gamut. One limp mode got him another car, the other meant nothing. :dunno:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i appreciate the input, taking it in to the dealer in the morning... got my fingers crossed. I'll keep everyone posted

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
good news!! (unless i was going to get a new onehmmm). The air filter was coming loose from the air mass meter... this was diagnosed over the phone by my Dinan dealer. Drove it home from the dealer without incident (about 20 miles- 10 miles on freeway). thanks for all the input. it truly is nice having this forum to post questions and concerns where people take the time to respond....thanks:cheers:

·
1,764 Posts
Dinan Cold Air Intakes?

good news!! (unless i was going to get a new onehmmm). The air filter was coming loose from the air mass meter... this was diagnosed over the phone by my Dinan dealer. Drove it home from the dealer without incident (about 20 miles- 10 miles on freeway). thanks for all the input. it truly is nice having this forum to post questions and concerns where people take the time to respond....thanks:cheers:
I assume you have the Dinan cold air intakes? I had them installed. I have heard that the filters inside the airbox can come off (some of the first ones are doing this). It is good the car recognizes this letting us know, and we don't go around driving the car without the filter in place.

It does make one wonder about $2500 airboxes with falling off filters though....

:cool2:

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
I assume you have the Dinan cold air intakes? I had them installed. I have heard that the filters inside the airbox can come off (some of the first ones are doing this). It is good the car recognizes this letting us know, and we don't go around driving the car without the filter in place.

It does make one wonder about $2500 airboxes with falling off filters though....

:cool2:
Just had mine refitted as well.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
just back from Europe! Damn!!! gonna have to head back to ATL to get mine refitted by my dinan Dealer. the BMW dealerships job lasted only a couple of daysouich i'm just praying I don't have to shy away from some punk kid in a stang or non-zo6 vette because my revs are limited to 7000!!grrrrrrr:M5rev:
XRAYM5, guess your problems werent solved with the throttle bodies after all??? I am coming down the weekend after labor day anyway, but just wondering if i should go ahead and make an extra trip??

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
just back from Europe! Damn!!! gonna have to head back to ATL to get mine refitted by my dinan Dealer. the BMW dealerships job lasted only a couple of daysouich i'm just praying I don't have to shy away from some punk kid in a stang or non-zo6 vette because my revs are limited to 7000!!grrrrrrr:M5rev:
XRAYM5, guess your problems werent solved with the throttle bodies after all??? I am coming down the weekend after labor day anyway, but just wondering if i should go ahead and make an extra trip??
Hey, welcome back! My engine malfunction, reduced power error message went away completely immediately after I had the throttle bodies replaced. I never had this message again, but when I brought it into Ron's shop for fluid changes, as a precaution he checked the intakes and noticed that one of the filters was loose, and he made the necessary fitment changes in the housings of both filters. It just goes to show how quirky our cars can be, since I still had full power and no engine malfunction message even with one of the filters being loose, while you still had the error message. I did have the increased emissions light however, which at the time I brought it in was only localized to one bank of the primary catalytic converters (as opposed to both banks, which I have had since this past winter), and on the same side as the loose filter. I would be thrilled if the combination of the replaced TB's and fixed intakes solved my increased emissions problem once and for all. The fault codes were reset, and so far so good. Not entirely sure, but I think it takes 500 miles before the light comes back on after being reset if there is still a problem. I have another 150 miles to go and am keeping my fingers crossed.

·
Registered
98 Posts
That same error message can come on from something as simple as the gas cap not being on properly. It happened to me when I first go my car. A quick warning reset at the dealer and a resetting of the cap and it's been fine ever since.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I was told by my dealer that a hose is causing the problem. As of Friday 8/23/08 there were close to 50 of these hoses on national back order. I am wondering if this needs to be a TSB (technical service bulletin)?

·
Registered
364 Posts
Happened to me once, after pulling out of the gas station. I pulled over and shut the car down. Waited 30 seconds or so, and have not seen it since. I chalked it up to the fact that we are driving highly advanced computers, and it just needed re-booted. Will see if it continues to occur.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Got the emission error last week... turned out to be a loose gas cap... whew!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
About this Discussion
16 Replies
12 Participants
DrM6
BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums
M5Board is the best forum community for information on the BMW M5 E60 (V-10), E39 (V-8), E34 (straight 6), E28, F90 and F10. Discuss performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing