BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just purchased my M5. Its 2008 with only 27,xxx Miles.

The first day I got it I went WOT and I recieved an engine malfunction and increased emissions warning with reduced power. I was going about 120 and at a high RPM. Bmw fixed the issue (replaced 4 ignition coils and spark plugs).

Now its back. I just got the car back. 1 day later same warning (engine malfuntion only w/ reduced power). It occured doing the same thing as before.

Any idea what might be going on?

·
Registered
118 Posts
My guess is there is a laundry list of things that cause the warning. Mine came on about a month ago and turned out to be the VANOS supply line.

Mickey

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Maybe it is preventing you to go 120+ on city freeways

·
Registered
407 Posts
Well, whatever it may be, at least you got a free coilpack and plugs out of the deal! Costly to say the least. Its almost a good thing in a way. Less stuff to worry about for a very very long time.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Maybe it is preventing you to go 120+ on city freeways

Its not something I promote, but I would like to break the 100 mph barrier without issues for when I go to the track.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I remember reading about limp mode at WOT and the culprit was a faulty fuel pump.

They checked the fuel lines yesterday and they were fine.... still waiting =( its been there almost a week now....

Its been at the dealership for more days than in my driveway.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I know the feeling, believe me it happens to all cars. Bought a ride just before X-mas, bring it home, go out in the morning to find fluids all over the ground. Yup, jaw dropped, head went down and OH boy. Hopefully they will get it right and you can enjoy your ride with no issues again. My case I think my ride was a high end taxi. Got hit over the head......Was an impulse buy.

Picked up my 08 last Saturday, didn't drive it much but all seems well. Good Luck and i'm sure they will track down your issue and then you can drive it like you stole it.....

·
Registered
112 Posts
yea i had a 05 545 that had a "dynamic drive" error. It was under warranty and sat their until they fixed it. Don't settle, make sure its fixed. Cause once its out of warranty,...yea.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I just got the car back yesterday. I drove it 15 miles. Then I put it in Power and shifted close to redline in 3rd gear. Another Engine Malfunction. WTF!

They replaced my fuel pump, ignition coils, and spark plugs. Whats left? ?

This is the 3rd time. I'm not happy about this!!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Visited the dealership today to pick up some paperwork from my car. They think it might be the fuel filter... We will find out soon. Maybe bad gas? But I've had this engine malfunction occurrence 3 times with 3 different tanks of gas.

They have an engineer coming Monday to take a look at it.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Veeral,

Just got my beast back today from United Roswell. I know Manny's car is still there so let me know when you get things worked out so we can get the group buy on the much needed drop. Good luck.

·
Registered
6,353 Posts
Same here....

I made a big fuss when they first identified a faulty fuel tank sensor. I insisted that if any sensor along the fuel line is faulty, then all the other sensors and equipment should be looked at as well. Especially cause my car was parked for over a long period of time before I bought it.

So, fuel tank sensor replaced, then the fuel filter replaced, and finally they had to replace the pump when the fault I got happened again!

I insisted they clean my fuel tank and they did that!

Reactions: MKSixer

·
Registered
21 Posts
If this happens when you're in M mode, then suspect your throttle actuators. Just find out which coils they've been replacing and see if you can pick up a trend as in are they all on the same bank of the engine and if yes, then suspect the throttle actuator of that very bank.

Another area to focus on is the ionic current unit which sits on top of your VANOS adjustment unit. An easy test is to swap the units over which are just bolted onto the tappet cover. This way you'd see if the fault has migrated to the other side of your 'V'. Hope you find it soon.

·
Registered
18 Posts
It is most likely the ion control unit. The first thing you need to do is get the error code - a simple ODBII reader for $30 will do.

If the code is an engine misfire on x cylinder and the plug and coil pack has already been replaced for the offending cylinder then it IS the ion control unit for that bank. There is one either side and they normally manifest errors with a misfire on cylinder 5 or 10 (depending on which control unit is failing). For some reason the master mech's are not aware of this.

The fact is it is so easy to diagnose that it hurts. I.e. error code = cylinder 10 misfire. All you need to do is swap cylinder 10 and 9 coil packs and swap the ion control units over.

Fault moves to cylinder 9 = faulty coil pack.
Fault moves to cylinder 5 = faulty ion control unit
Fault remains on cylinder 10 = you need a boroscope...

If you are getting multiple misfire error codes then the fuel system is likely the culprit as has been mentioned.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Nothing. I'm tired of rocking this 3 series loaner.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Tough to get a brand new M5 when buying an 08....would be nice though

1 - 20 of 21 Posts