BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a 01 m5 two months ago and it has been sitting in the garage ever since. Took it out today for the first time, put about 25 miles on it and the service engine soon light comes on. Just changed the oil and removed all the wheels for inspection but that is it. Didnt even have the fuel door open. Any thoughts . Thanks

·
Registered
93 Posts
Someone is going to tell you to buy a Peake reader. It's a good idea. It's going to be next to impossible to say what your issue is without codes or further information about how the car is acting.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Impossible to tell, could be as serious as your vanos solenoid or as simple as a post-cat O2. Get the codes read.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thats what I was kind of thinking but thought maybe someone could possibly reveal something stupid that I may have missed. Thanks. Where do I get a Peake reader and is it a worth while tool to have cause this car is not going to the dealership.

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
Use the search function here with 'Peake' or google it...you will find out where to buy one.

Benefit is that it will give you the "BMW Specific" interpretations for the OBDC codes...you can also pull codes with any old reader, but the peake is more diagnostic.

Some things are bigger deals than others. There could be 100 things that turn on the CEL light. Don't bother trying to discern what it is (unless you have other symptoms). Pull the codes, report back

A

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Vanos pretty serious?

Use the GOD FORSAKEN Search feature. Every time I have a question, I spend hours searching because no matter what you are dealing with, it has been dealt with hundreds of times by several people.

No offense, but everyone would like to post a question about their "new-to-them" car, but thats not fair to people who have been searching and spending hours just so they dont waste other people's time.

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
Typically your vanos solenoids fail because of aged o-rings or broken solder points. If you try to repair it and it still doesn't work the entire unit will run you around $500/per bank.
They are close to 1k $ now,BMW changed the price last month a bit...

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
Well in that case, lets hope the o-rings and soldering iron do the job!!
What job?

In **this** case, the OP has a CEL light and that is the total extent of the diagnosis...

·
Registered
146 Posts
I'll throw down 2$ saying it's engine related. Any takers?

OP: How many miles on the car? Any other symptoms to go with the cel? To buy a Peake code reader: google is your friend. On this forum: Search is your friend. Use search; you won't sound like a newb, and people will most likely not skip over your future posts.

Congrats on getting an M5. We hope you enjoy the hell out of it and post many pics of your road trips. (all pics must include the car somewhere in the frame)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts