BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

101 - 114 of 114 Posts

·
2,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #102 (Edited)
Congratulations Raymond ......now the reward for all of your efforts can be received in the form of pure driving pleasure !
Thanks David,

Last Friday, E28 M5 #231 hit the road for the time in 21months and my first impressions are very good. As a coincidence, I had borrowed both ///M's to my local BMW dealer to represent the older five-series for their dealer introduction of the F10, so the first 50km with the rebuild engine were driven towards the dealership in Enschede, albeit for a different reason then most cars do. As it turned out, the location manager of Smudde in Enschede is a true enthusiast of the older cars as well so I had a nice conversation with him for about an hour on last Sunday.

Anyhow, I almost forgot how good it was to drive #231. Granted, I am restricted in engine speed (2500RPM max) during the first phase of the break-in (500km), but the difference is so significant compared to before the engine failure. At idle, it almost is smoother then e.g. an M50 engine, which is astonishing, considering the racing-pedigree of the M88 engine. Also at constant speed it is much better then before; the slight surging it suffered from prior to the engine failure has disappeared completely. I picked up #231 again yesterday and added another 100km and experience no problems at all. Everything went smooth and as expected. I will add up another 400km until the first oil-change, hopefully somewhere next week, but need to schedule my agenda first.

The gearshift overhaul (new shifter-mechanism, bearings etc.) worked perfectly. It is much more precise then before and the occasional mis-shift that occurred before the engine failure has gone. Off course, I have a few pending issues, but these do not affect the drive-train and can be solved sequentially at a later date. My planning is to solve the open issues (e.g. headlight wash system and the refill of the AC system) in the next couple of months. I have to find a way to protect the wiring loom to the temperature senders from the impending heat of the exhaust. IMHO, this has been a design flaw, at least on the DC91 cars that will affect its long-term reliability.

Overall, I am very happy with the results that have been achieved until so far and am glad that I can share some of the driving-experiences from now on.

·
Registered
110 Posts
That's great man, I can almost feel your excitement and wish I could also savour the sensation of a running in a freshly rebuilt engine...

How about the sound, any change ? (considering the limited rev band, you might not have a decent answer to that yet ?)

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Great news Raymond. How long are you going to break in the engine for?

I've done around 2700 miles on my new engine and I'm allowing it to rev up to about 5k rpm now. I think I'm going to give it another 1800 miles or so before full throttle - I can't wait. Its a great feeling to know everything is running perfectly under the bonnet.

I wish you all the very best with your car. Thank you for sharing your experiences and going all the way with your rebuild.

Now you can turn your attention to your E34 If your wallet/marriage can stand it :grinyes:

·
Registered
7,649 Posts
Dan , 2700 miles of decent , through the gears , running in is more than enough to start taking her above 5,000 rpm !

Is this some kind of Jedi willpower training that you are putting yourself through ?

D

·
2,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #107 (Edited)
Great news Raymond. How long are you going to break in the engine for?
I will follow the scheme of member DickRS, who successfully recommissioned the engine of his E34 M5 3.8 ringtool, a.k.a the "De dikke dame" which is Dutch for "The fat lady". The break-is divided into three phases; 0-500km, 500-1000km and 1000km to 2500km. Prior to each phase the engine oil an oil-filter will be replaced.

I wish you all the very best with your car. Thank you for sharing your experiences and going all the way with your rebuild.
Thanks.

Now you can turn your attention to your E34 If your wallet/marriage can stand it :grinyes:
The E34 has some minor issues; but as it won't be used this year I will have the time to solve some issues and improvements. I have recently bought four new turbine covers, but these need a repaint first. I will also replace the accumulators and the regulating unit of the SLS. If I have some time left, I will have the injectors serviced by Bernd Prickartz as well.

·
Registered
7,649 Posts
Mmmm... I'm probably being a little over cautious then. Time to let it loose :applause:
It's about that time Dan , although it would be a good idea to drop the running in oil and move to a decent brand of the correct viscosity ( I'll leave you to decide exactly what that is , bearing in mind that you have a brand new engine with new seals and gaskets etc ) before putting her through her paces !

Much the same as with Ray's project , I can't wait to hear of both of your experiences with the fresh engines !

D

·
Registered
7,933 Posts
Just read this completely..

Maybe, next time you can provide more details ?

·
2,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #114
Reinstated the URL's to the pictures for a second time; this time following a critical issue in my photobucket account, which photobucket acknowledged, but could not resolve.

Please note that this also applies to all my previous postings that date back to 2004 or so. I will repair the links, but this may set me back for about at least a year.

101 - 114 of 114 Posts