BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey everyone,

i have a very strange howling noise that occurs on a cold start which lasts for about 30 seconds. it seems to be coming from the right side of the engine but im not sure what it could be. you may hear some exhaust noise in the background (straight pipes) or some rattling from the flywheel which is due to be replaced. its hard to distinguish as the mic isnt that good but the howl is the problem.

starting the car at any other point in the day will not reproduce the problem, cold starts only.

here is a video i took yesterday:

·
Registered
483 Posts
Could be the SAP? Mine made a similar noise when I bought the car. I replaced with a used, known-good unit and it's been fine since. It's inside the bumper forward of the right front wheel. The bumper has to come off to replace it.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Could be the SAP? Mine made a similar noise when I bought the car. I replaced with a used, known-good unit and it's been fine since. It's inside the bumper forward of the right front wheel. The bumper has to come off to replace it.
hmn you may be correct and that makes sense as the car is throwing codes for intake leaks and has an unstable idle (varies the idle a few 100rpm randomly up and down)

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
looks like you guys hit the nail on the head. here is a video i found thats the noise for sure:

:cheers:

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Another thing to fix !:hihi:
haha i just got the car recently and here is the current list:

all four rims (has ridiculous oz mitto 2, 9.5inch front, 11inch rear)
rear tires
both front springs and accessories (running KW coil overs, left one snapped)
flywheel and possibly clutch (previous owner says clutch is fine)
air pump
remove fake 3m carbon fiber roof
remove ridiculous front lip (real carbon fiber) + repaint bumper as its glued on
repair flooded rear view mirror
repair rear right door handle (requires some force to open)
clean up the exhaust, it has an x pipe with eisenmann exhaust and no cats ... just way too loud and poorly welded
and on top of all that remove a direct port nos system and bottle that i never plan on using and again goes in the ridiculous category

ouich

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Are you sure that bad knock is the flywheel? That's an unusual failure.
Yup, the previous owner trashed it hard with an upgraded clutch and several hard launches. When the clutch pedal is pushed to the floor the noise goes away. I had the exact same symptoms on another car with a failed dual mass flywheel

1 - 12 of 12 Posts