BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a can of Liqui Moly engine flush to use before my next oil change but I have a few concerns.
1) I'm not too concerned about using the flush, I'm not sure it will help but it can't hurt, right?
2) I'm more concerned that since I have an '06 I don't have a drain plug for the front sump so I there will still be some residual oil/flush mix remaining after I drain the main sump. I'd rather not have any substantial amount of the flush circulating with my new oil although it would be pretty diluted.

How much oil do you guys with newer cars get out of the front sump. I saw some pictures Troy Jeup that showed the front sump holding a substantial amount of oil but I'd think that the recirculating pump that pulls the oil from the front sump would keep the level fairly low.
Thoughts? Opinions?
Thanks

·
Registered
759 Posts
I just DIY'd my oil on my '09 with the second drain plug. I was not paying close attention to the amount from the 2nd drain plug, but I would guess no more than one-half liter. When the plug came out, a quick full stream occurred but I turned away from it to replace the copper washer on the drain plug. When I turned back, it was finished. Hopefully, someone else has paid more attention. FWIW, I would not use an oil flush solution. Why don't you just send off a Blackstone oil analysis to determine the condition of your engine/oil, and go from there.

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
Do not use any flushing agents on this motor. The motor retains oil in the VANOS system and, if you have a single-drain-plug oil pan, some oil in the pan. You'll never get enough of the flushing agent out and it will damage the engine over time.

If you really want to do a proper flush, change the oil, and then change it again in a couple hundred miles. That's about as close as you can get without getting complicated...

Reactions: Killer-Bimmer

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys, I'm going to skip it. It's not worth the risk when any benefit is doubtful.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Hi, I recently did my first oil change and used a separate can to drain the old oil into, I would say there was comfortably more than a litre in the front sump, probably closer to 1.5 litres.

In my previous cars if I really wanted the internals to be super clean I would do 2 oil changes in quick succession but with 9.3 litres in the m5 sump I just opted to let it drain for half a day, 600 miles later oil is still clean.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
As Revo said "Do Not" use an oil flush on this engine or any high tech engine in my opinion. If it has been neglected you risk flaking or dislodging sludge plugging oil passages.

Do as Revo stated and all will be good!

My personnel routine during my annual change is to use what ever motor oil I have accumulate in the garage over a year (some how I end up with a lot; still not sure how it happens) and run until warm then dump and add magical unicorn jizz...

Cheers!

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
I have a can of liqui moly flush and was toying with (was is the operative word here) using...Glad I searched, all the cons make perfect sense, nope thanks brothers.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts